Eventide H9 max

Any users? Overrated/overpriced or ultimate small footprint multi-fx?

How do users find editing on the pedal vs app? Im looking for something to use exclusively with my synths/samplers so I can leave my guitar pedal board alone… Would ideally like something with a decent amount of knobs to tweak while playing but nothing out there (possibly the new Elektron unit…). Guess touchscreen not end of the world if it’s solid Bluetooth connection/no latency…

I’m still a midi noob but wondering if I could setup OT pretty easily to have hands on knobs for the H9 parameters? H9 has midi in…

Also I read conflicting info on stacking fx. Can h9 for example have a chain of harmony + delay + reverb + distortion? Or is it only one of these per patch?

Thanks

It’s only one FX per patch, unfortunately.

If you want knobs, you should go for a Space, I guess (in France : around 400€ used, FYI).

Now soundwise these Eventide are really good, and you can control them (H9 or Space ot Timefactor) through CC messages.
= from your Elektron machines, if you have one of the old trinity.

You can even control it via ipad or mobile app! Max is the way to go if you want the most bang for your buck with free updates. Only thing that stopped me from buying is my love for knobs :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah I’m on the fence because I really don’t wanna use touchscreen to tweak while playing…ill check out their forum and ask about midi. Octatrack or a little midi knob box could maybe work out. Or expression pedal might be enough in most cases…

Shame it’s only one fx per patch. That’s also maybe a deal breaker.

Someone needs to make a killer multi fx box with tons of knobs and stackable fx (at least 4). Used to love my boss me50 for how hands on it was. Hoping the new Elektron box might hit all these marks :wink:

I’ve got the max as part of my setup. It’s in the aux/return chain, primarily for the delays and reverbs. I’ll probably add an H9 core. Using the new spacetime algo you get delay and reverb combined.

If you really want 4 fx you can have a look at line6 m13.
I've got the max as part of my setup. It's in the aux/return chain, primarily for the delays and reverbs. I'll probably add an H9 core. Using the new spacetime algo you get delay and reverb combined.

If you really want 4 fx you can have a look at line6 m13.

I have line 6 hd500 as part of my guitar pedal board. Same fx as m13. Mostly only use it for bpm sync filter stuff these days tho. Especially for studio. For shows its useful for drastic changes with one stomp tho. Not really a fan of the sound of most of the fx. It can be cool for interesting/totally fucked up stuff but in general the fx/ui seem on par/worse than zoom multi-fx stomps which are way cheaper.

I did a bit of research on the H9 and got the impression it was not as suitable for synths as I'd hoped and best for Guitar. It is an inexpensive way to get a lot of good effects, but from various bits I've read not as good for synths as for example using a Strymon Big Sky. Also the control method via iPad may not be ideal.

I hope this doesn't put you off, but just repeating some of what I'd read up on.

In the end I decided to go for separate pedals as opposed to an all in one solution.

H9 can host algorithms from Space and Timefactor, among others.
I own both and can assure you, @Daisy, that they do make my Monomachine or Slim Phatty shine.
Watch this, and tell me it sounds bad :smiley:

As I said, you don’t need an iPad to control the H9 : any machine or controller playing MIDI CC is OK for this. Especially any of the old Elektron trinity with crazy CC plocks. Basically expand the possibilities…

Yeah I'm on the fence because I really don't wanna use touchscreen to tweak while playing..ill check out their forum and ask about midi. Octatrack or a little midi knob box could maybe work out. Or expression pedal might be enough in most cases..

Someone needs to make a killer multi fx box with tons of knobs and stackable fx (at least 4). Used to love my boss me50 for how hands on it was. Hoping the new Elektron box might hit all these marks :wink:

Actually, the parameters are fully editable on the box itself, albeit a bit cumbersome. However, you can assign 3 parameters to be tweakable with the “hotknob” plus you can add an expression pedal. I actually haven’t got it connected to my computer unless I have to do a firmware update.t

And you actually have a system setting to indictate how the pedal is used, among which is a synth setting.

There are quite a lot of youtube videos of the H9 in a synth setup so check them out.

Yeah I'm on the fence because I really don't wanna use touchscreen to tweak while playing..ill check out their forum and ask about midi. Octatrack or a little midi knob box could maybe work out. Or expression pedal might be enough in most cases..

Hook a nanokontrol up to your ipad.

I did a bit of research on the H9 and got the impression it was not as suitable for synths as I'd hoped and best for Guitar. It is an inexpensive way to get a lot of good effects, but from various bits I've read not as good for synths as for example using a Strymon Big Sky. Also the control method via iPad may not be ideal.

I hope this doesn't put you off, but just repeating some of what I'd read up on.

In the end I decided to go for separate pedals as opposed to an all in one solution.

Contrary to popular belief it actually does very well with synths.

In the settings it even has 2 choices to tell it you are using a synth to optimize the algorithms to sound better.
I’m really digging mine!

I use my Ipad to control it like a Kaoss pad. Pretty amazing the amount of depth of control and setting it has.

Seems between using OT/nanokontrol for knobs or assigning parameters to the H9 dial it would probably be hands on enough. I think the limit of only one FX per patch is a deal breaker for me/my wallet tho… I have a bunch of strymon + whammy v, warped vinyl, fuzz factory etc on my guitar board… Spent more than I could really afford past few years on it… Don’t have the cash right now to buy boutique separates for a separate synth board. I’d be happy enough with stackable/saveable SP404 FX in a little box tbh. Got one of those little zoom multifx laying around from when I lost my gear temporarily on a flight and needed something quick/cheap for a show. I’ll dig that out, might be enough for me for now…