External tools to work with samples

So I found some nice kits online made for OP-1, but I want to remap them and group samples differently into kits with OP-1 Drum Utility tool. To do this, I need to slice existing audio files into separate samples to drop them into OP-1 Drum Utility tool. All software I used has some limitation and I find it pretty hard to do. Making everything on OP-1 is even more complex. Well, not complex, but time consuming. (lift from drum kit, drop on tape, glue together, repeat, drop into drum sampler, map, etc) So i thought maybe someone can recommend some flexible tools to do so? My most precise hit was with Maschine’s 2 slicing detection, which auto-sliced kit quite nicely. But the problem is it chops all samples into 2-seconds, regardless of how long actual sample really is, which requires silence trim afterwards in WavePad.

Can anyone share some techniques and flows to create your kits and working with samples?

Maybe this can help (untested): http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/silence_finder_and_sound_finder.html

I make heavy use of Ableton Live.

You can use the Arranger View to cut your samples, maybe go to the Clip View if it’s a loop, then just drag and drop on OP-1 Drum Utility.
So easy !

If you just want to rearrange an existing OP-1 Kit you can just lift and drop within the kit to replace the samples.

Honestly I’ve been looking for a good audio slicer for a while. There are lots of them I’ve tried that don’t cut the mustard. Recycle is actually amazing but so expensive for an audio editor.

I use Maschine for all my sample editing. I don’t know if your looking to spend any money. But a mk1 can be found for pretty cheap. The hardware interface makes slicing and editing flow really well.

I use Maschine for all my sample editing. I don't know if your looking to spend any money. But a mk1 can be found for pretty cheap. The hardware interface makes slicing and editing flow really well.

Well, I use maschine and have device mk2, but all my tries to slice samples gave mixed results.

Slicing with “detect” (to automatically separate samples) is good, but when i try to export them I have long tails. I do as follows:
1. Drop sample into sound slot.
2. Edit with slice.
3. Use “arrows” button (on the bottom right in the slicing menu) to drop slice as a group to split sounds into separate pads.
4. Align all notes on first beat and shrink the patternt to fit note lenght
5. Export audio as “Sounds”.

It exports well, but leaves huge trails after samples. Well, it makes them all 2 seconds long. Probably have something to do with that pattern lenght. Can you suggest other ways to export slices?

UPD1: Well, i found that you can right-click on slice in the slicer and export it as separate wav with no trail, so that’ll do. Still need to save each sample manualy, but at least dont need to mark them manualy
If you just want to rearrange an existing OP-1 Kit you can just lift and drop within the kit to replace the samples.

I find OP-1 sampling and work with sound kind of hard and “manual”. It is good for quick edits and sketches, but when you need to process 10-12 kits of samples, its pain.

I make heavy use of Ableton Live.
You can use the Arranger View to cut your samples, maybe go to the Clip View if it's a loop, then just drag and drop on OP-1 Drum Utility.
So easy !

I tried to make it with drum rack, but it exports as initial file + ableton file. Gotta try your method

I use Maschine for all my sample editing. I don’t know if your looking to spend any money. But a mk1 can be found for pretty cheap. The hardware interface makes slicing and editing flow really well.

Well, I use maschine and have device mk2, but all my tries to slice samples gave mixed results.

Slicing with “detect” (to automatically separate samples) is good, but when i try to export them I have long tails. I do as follows:
1. Drop sample into sound slot.
2. Edit with slice.
3. Use “arrows” button (on the bottom right in the slicing menu) to drop slice as a group to split sounds into separate pads.
4. Align all notes on first beat and shrink the patternt to fit note lenght
5. Export audio as “Sounds”.

It exports well, but leaves huge trails after samples. Well, it makes them all 2 seconds long. Probably have something to do with that pattern lenght. Can you suggest other ways to export slices?

UPD1: Well, i found that you can right-click on slice in the slicer and export it as separate wav with no trail, so that’ll do. Still need to save each sample manualy, but at least dont need to mark them manually
  1. Drag a sample to sound 1 on a new group
    2) Slice
    3) Choose Apply To on the maschine hardware (this sends a slice to each sound)
    4) Select a sound by tapping a pad and truncate (repeat for each sound)
    5) Right click the group and select Save with Samples (save it somewhere easy to find like your desktop)
    6) A Maschine file will be created with a corresponding folder containing the samples
    7) Drag and drop the samples in to the op-1 drum editor

Isn’t there a software someone made to create importable kits to the op1? I haven’t used it, but coulda sworn I read about it.

Isn't there a software someone made to create importable kits to the op1? I haven't used it, but coulda sworn I read about it.

The OP1 drum utility?
http://now.teenageengineering.com/post/47348903156/op-1-drum-utility