Faulty Trigger points volume knob(?)

Hello, I received the OB-4 a few weeks ago and when I fast forward (ff) the tape (volume knob to the right), I noticed that the tape starts to rewind when turning fully clockwards. It behaves the same, when I use the loop mode.

I reached out to TE, but as I mentioned another bug, they just replied, that the bug was reported to the Development team and will hopefully be fixed in a future update, but I think the problem with the volume Knob is hardware based.

Does your volume knob function as mentioned, or is it (like I think) a fault of my unit?

Mine does the same. After the ffw there is a gap and after the gap it goes to rewind. It reminds me of the way the tape transport on the op-z works. So i think it is not a hardware thing.

Thanks for checking. That’s kinda weird, because it’s so hard to get to 4x in loop mode/ get to the fastest rewind. Especially if you want to make some “live action”.

Do you know, if this behavior was spotted before applying the update? Just curious.

Since the update. I experience a better control over the ffw and rew.
But i don’t know if that is real because i got the ob-4 just a few days before the update. But in my opinion , practice is needed before mastering the performance looping and stuttering.
But i am more focused on listening to the radio at 0.7 speed or when i’m in the mood. At 0.0 speed for ultimate doomcore.

hi,
this will be fixed in the next release (no eta as of now).

thanks.

I have a similar problem that I hope will also be fixed in the next update. (Maybe it’s the same issue) I see problems when the knob is turned about halfway on the “rewind” side (between “slide -3” and “slide -4”). The display stutters and the knob motor makes a bad sound.

to fix the knob motor, do a motor reset… you hold the 2 buttons on the left side for 18 seconds. the display will enter knob reset mode and prompt you to push the play button. it will calibrate the motors and everything should be fine after that. just fixed mine!

1 Like

That fixed it! Thank you so much for posting the instructions for motor calibration.

1 Like

Sad that TE didn’t mentioned that when I wrote them about this problem. Thank you, I will try that after work

1 Like

make sure you’re also on the latest firmware, there was an update after first round of shipments

There was another update, now the ambient mode has some sort of timer, can’t find any information, what it wants to tell me.

The calibration worked mostly, but when I turn the volume knob all the way to the right, it still rewinds, when it gets stuck in the “gap” . In loop mode it behaves fine.

It’s a sleep timer, nice one!

And it looks like the rew thing is solved with the newest update for ob-4. Checked it again and it is fixed.

How do you access the newest update. I cannot seem to find it?

Connect the ob-4 to the orthoplay app.

Awesome, Thank you… Now I see it in the manual…

I’ve got a different issue that I’ll ask here as this is most active thread.

I got my ob-4 yesterday and it mostly works great, except I get random tape stops.
I’ll be listen to music and the tape dial will be spinning as per usual but then I’ll hear the tape scrub sound effect and the tape and audio will stop followed by some quiet low end rumbling. I then need to quickly scrub the tape forward with my finger to get it moving again and the audio will continue to play as normal where it left off. It happens every 3-5 mins when listening, so far its not a biggest issue as I’m mostly right in front of the ob-4 in use but if I’m far away I’d have to get up everytime it happens to scrub the tape which I can imagine getting frustrating.

I’ve repeatedly recalibrated the motors by holding the play and input for 18 secs then holding play. It still happens after that. I updated to latest to the firmware soon after unboxing it so maybe it could be a firmware related bug. I really hope it’s not hardware related as I’m really enjoying it and would be bummed to send it back for repair/replacement.

Has anyone else experienced this or is this normal? Or If anyone has any suggestions it’ll be really appreciated

1 Like

No, that’s totally not normal. The tape just stops, if the music stops playing on your Bluetooth device.

I would contact TE as soon as possible and make a video of the behavior, they always request a video in my experience.

this keeps happening to me as well. did you ever reach out to TE about it? any fix?

Yeah but by the time they got back me I had already returned it and arranged for a replacement, which is coming next week.

I’m glad I did that because I would have been waiting almost 2 weeks just for TE support to advised me to recalibrate the motors/ update the firmware…even though I told them I had already done that several times :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like