Field Accessory Review

i wrote a review of most of the new drop over on lines:

i’m super happy that TE makes accessories so i appreciate that they tried to make some fun things to go along with the hardware stuff. but their textile design language is so over produced. so many loops and straps and velcro strips and branding tags. i liked the jumpsuit in the marketing campaign though.

8 Likes

Much appreciated! Glad I read through this.

After wanting them all,
I decided on none, but felt the accordion bag could be a good come up, but reading more I think I’ll hold off.

1 Like

I would maybe get the backpack if it was 100 (euros, dollars) and feel guilty about it, but for 250 its beyond ridiculous. Not to mention that if you actually used it regularly it wouldn’t be white for very long.

1 Like

if you check the thread over on lines, i wrote a little bit more about the accordion bag this morning. all of these accessories are ok enough if you just had them laying around for fun. or if they cost 1/3 of the price. i really don’t mind paying for good design, its just that i don’t find these designs actually useful. and beyond that i don’t find the designs provocative enough to keep them just to look at. for example, i’d cop the yzy shdz right away even if they aren’t good sunglasses. i think the design is enough to just get them as a design object that’s inspiring.

Got the t-shirt, the notebook and the key ring.

Love the t-shirt, wearing it today.

Using the keyring and quite like it. It feels sturdy, hefty and present, kind of. Weights in my pocket, rattles in my bag, makes itself known.

The notebook - I don’t know. I was perhaps expecting more from that one. But I’m a notebook snob, so go figure.

1 Like

Excellent overview, and cool that you are honest. Yep, it’s style of practicality as usual. Looks ace on a photo but after a few weeks of use all that lovely white gear is just gonna look grubby (hence the wee brown mat to sit your bag on haha).

You bought 3 (?!?) record players? One to use, one for spares and one unboxed? So that’s where half of their stock went! Looks like you’ve a got yourself a collectable in record (hoho) timing my friend!

If anyone is after one of those £250 backpacks but wants something more durable and larger then I can recommend the Roland Boutique bag. It costs under £50. And then just sow a TE patch over the logo.

I got the record cutters as Christmas gifts, and 1 to keep myself of course :wink:

1 Like

You gotta do a cover version of Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree to spin on it with some crimbo lights.

I hope someday that my wish of having Xmas every other year comes true.

1 Like

@instantjuggler does a pocket operator in the CA-X case fit in the accordion bag?

I mean I could hardly get my naked po in there. Can’t imagine with the added size and friction of the case material that it would work… though maybe it’s theoretically possible with some real effort and force.

does your PO have the hang tag? I assume it wouldn’t fit with the hang tag, but dang I feel like it could be a great case for a PO-33, TX-6 and cables in the three slots, but it sounds a bit iffy. I miiiight give the accordion bag a shot.

1 Like

I wrote a more detailed description of putting the po in the accordion bag over on the lines thread if you have a chance to check that out. The po sticks out slightly even without the hang tag.

1 Like

Just found this thread.
Amazing.
Love the initiative and real, tested feedback.

Does anyone knows if the OB-4 fits well in the backpack?
Can’t seem to find any info on this one!

Thanks

This is not helpful, but from what I recall the backpack is too small for the ob-4. But I don’t have it in front of me to try

1 Like

From what I gathered, I suspect you are right !
And even tho TE’s website is not the clearest about it, I’d say it doesn’t fit since they don’t talk about it at all.
Anytime the OB-4 does fit somewhere, they state it as such.

Thanks for the reply!

Ahoy!

Here’s a little contribution about the Field accessories.

I just ordered and got the Bottle.

As @instantjuggler wrote about it, it is somewhat a strange one. And, probably more on the miss side than on the hit side of things.

First, the over-engineered little thing attached to the bottle - the little label. It’s hooked by some kind of metallic thing. Very « sturdy, on the field » little thingy that’s completely unnecessary and probably accounts for more than I’d like in the final price.

The metallic cork is a bit over engineered too, but the handle proves somewhat useful.

The coating seems a little bit on the cheap side of things, I don’t know how long it will stay intact.

The neck diameter is way too large for me - but some friends actually like it that way (they got their own, not sharing bottles). So I’d say its up to your preferences.

The three most annoying thing for me, at this price point, are a bit odd.

1. It’s not a thermal bottle - which, for a Field labelled accessory, is a huge deal. It’s great around the house. But I wouldn’t take it with me on a hike. No way.

2. It’s a bit on the small side of sizes. There again, the Field moniker just falls short. You’d need at least 2/3 bottles like this one for a good ol’ hike.

3. 5 washings later and a week of use, there is still a metallic taste when using it. Can’t seem to get rid of it. Which would point towards the bottle being made out of some kind of cheap coating-treated metal sheet.

All in all, I’m gonna keep it - 2023 is officially the year I spent more time sending back shitty things than actually using purchases I made. It will stay at home.
But it’s not a great buy if you ask me. The price point is, easily, 20€ over what you would pay for if you’d buy a thermal 1.5 liter bottle for the actual field.

It’s really weird that the Field series is not really a Field series at all.
It’s more of a « I live in the office, in a huge city » kind of vibe.
I recently had the chance to have a friend use a Zoom H5 and a TX-6 outdoors. The TX-6 was back in its pocket 5 minutes later due to rainy conditions. The H5 proudly pulled the effort.

If I ever get curious again, I’ll update.

Note aside - that’s TE for you.
Was gonna post this and I thought to myself that I would have never imagine posting about a gourd, ffs.

1 Like

wow, that’s one thorough review!

1 Like

And that’s just for the bottle.
I think I better lay off TE’s accessories. Or I’m gonna start a blog. 2002’s style!

:sweat_smile:

1 Like

Go for it! TE need some real feedback instead of just fawning fan-body faff, especially from someone who has actually paid for the products themselves.

1 Like

I have to admit, the overall experience when buying TE is a bit underwhelming. That’s just me, tho.

1 Like