Field Desk

75kg is about 130 op-1’s. Or one of King Kong’s testicles.

love this forum

1 Like

(EDIT - this was a reply to @instantjuggler who has since deleted/drastically edited their comment)

Not sure I follow the logic here - if they were confident it could take 100kg then why wouldnt they rate it at 100kg. If they want to “cover their asses” why not just say it’s not weiht bearing or choose 25kg or 50kg. They claim to be good at design and we ought to assume they know what weight it is safely rated at - if they say 75kg I see no reason to doubt their design credentials here.

love this forum

(EDIT - this was a reply to @instantjuggler who has since deleted/drastically edited their comment)

When companies give ratings it isnt just that the product will always fail at that weight (say). A common test process may be - if x number of the product are loaded at that weight then y may fail or they may test the product with weight z and guesstimate a percentage to rate it at where they think it is unlikely to fail. They may also be concerned that if loaded at 75 kg on the edge or with some lateral force as well (ie moving side to side) then it will fail at 75kg.
I dont think a single isolated test (eg you sitting on it) at, say, 75kg proves that the product is “super sturdy” and can always take more than 75kg. I think that if they rate it at 75kg they probably have a good reason and that reason should be respected… especially if we lend any credence to the idea that they are an accomplished design company then we have to respect their stated load ratings…

woah! €1600 for a desk!!! its it april yet??? what are they smoking?? this must be a joke, they are just trolling us at this point. the desk doesn’t even look cool, its a bad design. you could make that desk yourself for like $50. they are the IKEA of music companies. the desk looks flimsy!!!

1 Like

I thought you had posted up-thread that you liked it !! I replied to your considered posts but it looks like you’ve now edited them and deleted your comments. (I’ve quoted your latest post so that my reply makes sense, just in case you go back and edit it :slight_smile: )

I suppose you’re within your rights to change your opinions but it seems a little bit of an extreme conversion !! It also seems a bit rude to TE. I thought you generally liked their products. Can I ask the reason you have changed your mind ? (Is this after you saw them in-person and sat on the desk ?)

EDIT - just reread your post - I really hope you are not trolling now and trying to get a reaction from people - that would be a shame for the forum and generally lower the tone of the thread…

I read up a little on desks and weights now. A max load of 75 kg is not at all bad for an office desk. As a reference, IKEA IDÅSEN is EN 527-2 and ANSI/BIFMA X5.5 certified and has a max load of 70 kg.

1 Like

I am sorry you felt compelled to remove your long, insightful showroom report!

1 Like

people get in a negativity frenzy over everything TE does

it’s insane

elektron doesn’t get a even a fraction of this hate over prices

I think this is a variation of the system they use themselves in their offices that they designed. I don’t think they want to be in the furniture business, if it were too cheap, they would be. So why release it at all? I don’t know. I don’t knock anyone who buys the product if they feel it fills a need for them. I would never buy a Tesla, although many people do, and this is way cheaper. (Main reason I wouldn’t buy a Tesla is there is no CarPlay… all our older vehicles are retrofitted with CarPlay… makes so sense for a car to have no awareness of the computer in your pocket.)

Anyway I would have been more interested if they’d made some lightweight travel / camping type table called field, somewhere to use your OP-1 Field and TX-6 in the Feild…

2 Likes

A shame you edited that, definitely gives perspective on the design. I like it more now, but I don’t think it’s attainable for me