Field recorders

Any of you guys using them for recording jams.

It seems to be a more common occurrence on YouTube. I guess it’s a reflection of more and more portable desktop gear. I love the idea of not having to boot up laptop and then ableton.
Also would be cool for building up ambient samples for future use…I don’t know maybe it’s just gas but the idea is appealing.

Currently looking at the zoom 4hn pro, but there seems to be so many. Any recommendations, do you find it good for the working process?

i scooped a tascam dr05 the other day. was thinking the same kinda waves. well waiting for it in the mail. i like that it has the ability to overdub over an existing recording and make a new recording out of the two. seems like that would be super useful for working on songs. not sure how many others can do that or not.

i hope i get on w/ it. i've tried field recorders in the past for this type of thing, and didn't really take…just another thing to bring in the pack. was great for catching sounds tho.

i also scooped an EHX 720 to see if i could do the same type of thing w/ it, ts got 12 minutes total time, (prob 24 min if u work in half speed) and 10 memory slots, which for me is plenty of shortys on the go. works on 9v so also portable.

honestly, i think the looper will be even simpler/faster to use than the tascam.
i scooped a tascam dr05 the other day. was thinking the same kinda waves. well waiting for it in the mail. i like that it has the ability to overdub over an existing recording and make a new recording out of the two. seems like that would be super useful for working on songs. not sure how many others can do that or not.

i hope i get on w/ it. i've tried field recorders in the past for this type of thing, and didn't really take…just another thing to bring in the pack. was great for catching sounds tho.

i also scooped an EHX 720 to see if i could do the same type of thing w/ it, ts got 12 minutes total time, (prob 24 min if u work in half speed) and 10 memory slots, which for me is plenty of shortys on the go. works on 9v so also portable.

honestly, i think the looper will be even simpler/faster to use than the tascam.

Somehow missed the ehx 720…might sell my boss rc-3 and grab one. Dig the immediate access to half-speed/reverse on my Hd500 looper but that’s all I use it for now and that pedal is HUGE…

I’ve kept looking at mixers that can also record: http://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Mixers/Analog-Mixers/UFX1604/p/P0AB3 for example

What do folks think?
I've kept looking at mixers that can also record: http://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Mixers/Analog-Mixers/UFX1604/p/P0AB3 for example

What do folks think?

I researched these and the logical question popped up: why not a multitrack recorder/mixer, e.g. the Zoom R16/R24 units or Tascam DP24/DP32. Ideas welcome.

yea i’d wonder how the usb recording worked/quality on the mixer. also that mixer looks GIANT lol.

multitracker prob makes more sense at that point. even an R8

i looked at some older units like Tascam DP’s b/c they have fx send & return jacks.
even the newer, smaller pocket DP’s are nice.

digital multi trackers are really cheap these days.
multitracker prob makes more sense at that point. even an R8
[...]
digital multi trackers are really cheap these days.

yes but the r16/24 dp24/32 can record multiple tracks simultaneously and have built-in fx.

You can get a Boss Micro BR on ebay for less than $100. It’s a 4-track recoreder with effects, instrument line-in. 1/8 mic in, and a built in condenser mic. It weighs next to nothing and they feel like they can take a beating. They are really simple to use imho. They make a newer one too, but it’s not neccessary. It can basically fit in your pocket too.

https://reverb.com/p/boss-br-80-micro-br-digital-recorder?_aid=pla&hfid=2876453&gclid=CM6zsPfMss8CFQNZhgodVqAPTQ

sure just throwing some other options out there

I have a zoom h4n. I mostly use if for gtr/bass effects when the OP-1 is around. I can also mix 4 tracks internally and has a limiter on the master bus. It’s great for recordign band practice with the built in mics and can be used for a quick vocal overdub or audio interface to the 'puter. No bad for the size and price. I’m using the pre 2016 model.

With Zoom h4n, I advise not too use >4GB SD cards.
I took a 32GB and it takes 30s each time H4n is switched on to scan the bloody card.

I use a KP mini 2 .
Cheap, small, quick ,with FX .
3.5mm jams its good,straight to SD.

I use a KP mini 2 . Cheap, small, quick ,with FX . 3.5mm jams its good,straight to SD.

Kaoss pad mini? For field recording?

Oh , I though OP was using line in.?

Oh , I though OP was using line in.?

I am asking if you use the mic on the Kaoss and than go into the line in on the OP-1. Does it sound good?

Ah, oh sorry.
Only had a little go on the internal mic.The vocoder effect is the nicest KP voco I’ve heard.
But the int mic may not be up to much as my KaOscillator 2 int mic bust quite early. Don’t think the mic would compare with OP-1s. Certainly not standard field rec mics.
I’ve not used it properly though.I jam OP-1 and stuff into line in KP2. It’s last on the chain and good for recording mobile jams with friends on the go. Heavy limiter for passive mixer volume drops and all other FX good.

Ah, oh sorry. Only had a little go on the internal mic.The vocoder effect is the nicest KP voco I've heard. But the int mic may not be up to much as my KaOscillator 2 int mic bust quite early. Don't think the mic would compare with OP-1s. Certainly not standard field rec mics. I've not used it properly though.I jam OP-1 and stuff into line in KP2. It's last on the chain and good for recording mobile jams with friends on the go. Heavy limiter for passive mixer volume drops and all other FX good.

Cool, thanks for the info. I haven’t used one before, they sound cool though. I want a Zoom or a Sony PCM-10 i think.

I used the KP mini for Fieldrecording once too, the Micro isn’t that bad. The recording quality is way better than on the OP-1 , from the built-in-mic.

Used to have a SP404… Was really great for this, even with onboard mic.
Got my best beat when headphones cable hit the internal mic while recording noises in the train to BXL…

I’ve got the ZOOoooOOOM H2N and for sure it is the best mic I ever got…Ok, that’s my first ever too. But for sure I love it ! Awesome autonomy, excellent portability, good price quality.
I’ve made a track with some field recording when walking around in the forest

https://soundcloud.com/quarantequatre/zodiac

I’ve got lots of field records but this one is the only one I used for a complete track.