Fix for OP-Z module popping out (won't void warranty)

I’ll try and get some pictures if anyone is interested, but you basically just need an old gift card (or credit card or whatever) and some electrical tape.

You want to cut off a really small, thin strip of the card and wedge it into the gap that you create when you lock the module in place. Then just take a small piece of electrical tape and secure it so it doesn’t pop out or come loose. This basically makes it so the module physically can’t be unlocked.

I’ve used it for a couple days this way and it seems to stay connected. Not sure how it will hold up after long term use, but it seems like a decent fix so far. It is a bit tricky cutting the exact size needed. It was basically trial and error until I ended up cutting a piece that fit exactly in. It’s also a bit tricky actually getting it wedged in. Since the piece is so small it likes to stick to your fingers if you try to ‘push’ it in, and you also have to put pressure on the module so that the module doesn’t ‘unlock’ itself, filling up that negative space where the card piece is supposed to go.

I found that if I apply pressure to the module with one finger, then place the card piece on the module and slowly ‘slide’ it towards the gap until it falls into place worked the best. It isn’t too bad if you have steady hands.

I did something similar with foil paper. It seems to improve the issue but it still randomly stops working. TE support told me there is going to be a firmware fix for this soon. So I guess it’s not completely the oplab module itself that is the problem.

1 Like

If firmware does fix the issue then that would be great. When the module becomes ‘unlocked’ it still technically is making contact with the connectors, so maybe it’s a sensitivity thing or something?

It still doesn’t account for the module not sitting flush though. My backplate bulges out slightly because the module pushes up against it. Kind of annoying because it takes away from how sleek and sexy the OP-Z is.

Mine bulges slightly too though and my oplab is perfect so… you may just have to live with that.

A solution I was trying before I packaged mine up to be sent to TE was I 3d printed a 0.2-0.3in plastic spacer/wedge in the shape of a OP-Z module and put it in the back of the unit. Depending on how crooked your module is you may need to alter the thickness.