Floundering.... How to factory reset, for starters...,please?

Sorry!

I have searched both this site and OP-1 guide for how to’s and still am clueless…

I have been noisily wandering the vast halls of options and settings in the OP-1 pulling, tweaking and changing goodness knows how many things that I don’t understand. Feeling very baffled. Thinking that I must have set unknown changes into my OP-1 that I need to clear…

So please can someone direct me to ‘How to factory reset’? So that each time I go in again for a learning attempt, I know I’m on a good footing IYKWIM…

And searching for firmware versions and Beta stuff baffles me too. People going from received version, upgrading, downgrading, beta etc. There’s talk from before upgrades, talk of units being bricked… Is there a single place I can go to establish what I have, and what I could at this point change up to?

If I got my Op-1 new about 10 days ago… and if it shows Version 14510 on startup, do I have the latest version, or what is out there as options for me?

Sorry for sounding like a halfwit… I am trying to fish this info from the forums using search engines and OP-1 guide, but go round and round in circles…

Go to teenage engineering website.

Under the GUIDES heading at the top click on downloads. OP1 firmware is near the bottom.

The guide to install is underneath.

Edit: https://teenageengineering.com/downloads

@psilop1

14510 is the latest stable version that comes installed on new OP-1s. It doesn’t differ from the current stable version 14203 available for download on TE’s homepage (in terms of functionality).

Factory reset: with OP-1 switched off, hold COM button while switching on. Then the boot loader will appear. Follow the screen instructions for “Factory Reset”. Don’t do “Format Drive” unless you really need to, because you’ll have to reinstall the OS afterwards!

I had the 14510 on my new Op-1. I upgraded so to speak to the Beta. Then downgraded to the 14203 off the site. I had to factory reset but this is odd. It stayed on 14203! Not going back to the 14510. Can anyone explain this?

The 14510 had the infamous rainbow strip on start up. The 14203 has got rid of this so im not sure which is the latest.

Thanks Motone!
14510 is the latest stable version that comes installed on new OP-1s. It doesn't differ from the current stable version 14203 available for download on TE's homepage (in terms of functionality).
That's what I needed to know! I'll leave it as -is... There was so much historic info- just needed a contemporary 'take'...

Factory reset: with OP-1 switched off, hold COM button while switching on. Then the boot loader will appear. Follow the screen instructions for "Factory Reset". Don't do "Format Drive" unless you really need to, because you'll have to reinstall the OS afterwards!

Thanks again. Maybe this will appear for the next searcher of 'how to factory reset'...

I kind of need the factory reset like a Hansel and Gretel fix after an evening wandering about....

I had the 14510 on my new Op-1. I upgraded so to speak to the Beta. Then downgraded to the 14203 off the site. I had to factory reset but this is odd. It stayed on 14203! Not going back to the 14510. Can anyone explain this?

The 14510 had the infamous rainbow strip on start up. The 14203 has got rid of this so im not sure which is the latest.

That’s me, re-baffled!

Most of all (in the realm of ‘should I/need I upgrade firmware’ issue) I need to be sure any instructions/guides are apt for my version…

So now, you don’t have the ‘rainbow’? Do you have the nut and bolt symbols? I have nut and bolt…btw…

The “rainbow” glitch appeared with the 14510.

See https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/34553/#Comment_34553

Got some clarity from company support. Asked if switching from factory installed 14510 to 14203 from website was detrimental. Response: "Yes no need to worry! They are the exact same OS with some different hardware code, nothing that affects functionality in any way!"

So looks like my quest to get rid of that annoying band of colors was truly successful after all. Huzzah.