Friendship between op-z and op-1

I’m trying to get a scenario to work here, and I’m thinking it won’t work, but I’ll ask anyway -

I got the OP-Z sequencing one of the OP-1 FIeld’s synths over bluetooth.

I route the OP-1’s audio into the OP-Z Line In module, stereo.

I apply the OP-Z’s both effect slots to the incoming audio, as well as some Tape and Master tricks. Monitoring it all from the OP-Z.

So far, so good. Love what I can do with this.

I would now like to record the results of this back onto OP-1 Field tape - while I’m playing it. As in, real time from OP-1 Field through OP-Z and back onto one of the the Field’s tape tracks.

But I can’t do this without getting horrible feedback. Which makes sense, of course. But I’m just wondering - with all the USB-C and Line Module options going on here, isn’t there a way to get this working between the two without having to add an extra unit in between? I can’t figure it out but figured I’d ask, anyway.

Plan B is to slide in the TP-7 in between, record the results onto the TP-7 and then back to the OP-1. It’s not a disaster, but it’s not as neat as having just the OP-1 and the OP-Z solving this without additional support.

1 Like

i used to do something similar w/ an OG and an SP404
i even posted a diagram here back when the forum was named something else
but i dunno if it survived the migration

basically the idea is panning different tape tracks hard left and right
to create 2 separate channels
and sending one into my FX and then back into the OP1
then sending hte other side into my mixer or speaker
to avoid the feedback loop

pan all your tracks u want to send thru the FX to one side
pan the ones u don’t want to the other side or mute them
pan the return track that u wish to record to to the other side as well
which it connected to your mixer / speaker

thinking that maybe the field being stereo on the tape tracks and everything might complicate this?
that didn’t really come up w/ the mono tape tracks on the OG for me

but it worked like a charm

maybe it doesn’t get u there 100% but hopefully maybe will help stir some thoughts for u?

1 Like

Hey, yep, thanks :slightly_smiling_face: the exploring alone will be worth the effort, I’m sure :sunny: