Future Classic Machines

OCTATRACKS CF SLOTS BREAK! maybe i can scoop one up for cheap and solder a new card port in. ive never been so happy to hear about shoddy build quality. Ive been wanting one for so long but its price always makes me push it off.

The System 1m pushes the boundaries of synthesis and offers so much depth that I feel it will go down in history for me at least. For the type of music that I am making and the other sounds that I have heard through experimentation I have been made to happily hold that synth in higher regard than the others I own. If I glance at my synths mentally, it is the victor at the top of the food chain.

moog sub phatty. so rich

The System 1m pushes the boundaries of synthesis and offers so much depth that I feel it will go down in history for me at least. For the type of music that I am making and the other sounds that I have heard through experimentation I have been made to happily hold that synth in higher regard than the others I own. If I glance at my synths mentally, it is the victor at the top of the food chain.

i should get my hands on this. its quite hard to find good demos on youtube, which doesnt sounds like “typical” synth.

Korg ms2000

Can´t believe that Maschine or Push will be classics, as I see them as a kind of transition technology. Both of the newer versions will be 1/4 price junk in 2 or 3 years, as always happens with this kind of software based hardware.

However, maybe the Monome will stand the ages, as the software appears to be more timeless and it´s open nature helps the future OS conversions.

My feeling:

- OP-1;
- Pocket Operators; (in a kind of Casio vibe)
- Microbrute;
- All the Elektron boxes (maybe not Analog Four, but surely the Analog Rytm, Octatrack, MachineDrum and Monomachine);
- OTO Biscuit;
- MicroKorg; (already a classic - got one last year imbued by a “classic” vibe);
- Volcas (specially Sample and Bass, the working class TB-303!);
- Monotron Delay;
- MicroGranny;

I´m pretty sure that the MPCs are already a classic - indeed, it´s the history that basically is still keeping Akai alive, as their last 10+ years, with very pontual interesting stuff, is basically a disaster.

Very nice list @aeoner. I see you’ve included the Microbrute. I was going to include the Minibrute - the machine is awesome and it’s analog tone is so thick. If these two machines are anything to go buy then I’m sure we could just list the daddy of them all - the Matrixbrute! That machine is going to be all types of sickness. It looks like a classic too!

@HisMostDarxxxellent totally agree. The Matrixbrute appears to be amazing and the price is really good. Sadly it´s just to damn big to bring it back to Brazil without paying heavy duties :’(

Korg ms2000

I don’t know that I’d call it “this generation” :wink: though its engine lives on in the microkorgs of course, which are also going on 10+ years. I think the ms2000 belongs in the same generation as the jp8000, access virus a/b/c, FIZMO, K5000, Nord Lead 1/2, etc

I honestly think that, despite being super cool and great sounding / value for money, 90% of the machines people have listed wont become classics even if they deserve to be as they simply wont last long enough.

One of the things that keeps vintage gear going as a concept is that you can get the stuff repaired to be ‘like new’, or you can get ‘New Old Stock’ components. I dont know if anyone has tried to get a roland boutique repaired? But you basically just get sent a new one and they only made a limited number… All the stuff like the volcas, roland korg mini stuff just dont seem to be designed to last more than a few years. Definitely not 10-20 years :frowning:

This isnt a negative on the units themselves, i think that many of mini budget synths from the last few years are great, i just dont think they will still be being used in 30 years time. Fortunately i have no doubt that there will always be a newer emulation, that is slightly smaller and cheaper and has a million more functions…

Also i really dont think that any product that is an emulation of another product will ever be a classic as there is already a classic version of it. If you are the kind of person who gets concerned by authenticity and has dollar to throw at it then i cant see them wanting ‘the authentic emulation of the authentic model’. I really feel that a lot of the major companies are shooting themselves in the foot by focussing so much on mini key reissues. Its very short term thinking based on ‘get money now’ and not based on looking to what people will think of the company in the future.

The Elektron stuff i think will become future classics, particularly the machinedrum and octatrack. They will break a lot due to the encoders, but can be mended also.

I agree with @needles that the Moog sub 37 might become a classic, its certainly the best moog on the market right now in terms of features Vs value for money. 2 years after it was first released there is still a waiting list in some shops here in Berlin!

The monome i agree with purely from an aesthetic point of view, but only so long as USB is still supported… I agree with @KrisM that Midi controllers are not inherently in themselves likely to become classics as they are not complete instruments, but only become one with the right software. You could argue that 7UP will become a classic (or whatever else the cool kids are using with monome these days…)

Op1, for sure actually. I can see it being an SP303 type thing where people love it for its vibe.

Bare in mind that with the new monome modular units the grid doesn’t require connection to the computer.

Not much love here for the Analog Four, and with so much competition out there, it may not be the future classic of the Elektron bunch.

But damnit, is it one deep synth and sequencer and a joy to use on stage.

As already mentionned;

op-1 ^^
machinedrum uw
octatrack
moog sub37

dsi pro2 is in my list too
would like to add some makenoise systems
want to say cwejman S1mk2 too

Me too!
I’d love to able to say that but it’s just too difficult to pronounce!

(My attempt at a joke, sorry everyone)

I believe the SP303(already a classic?) and SP404 will be classics. The MPC500 may not be a classic, but I think it will become a vintage item that will one day trend and become sought out for $$$. All Electribes will soon be collectibles(if not already), while the ESX will be THE classic.

Me too!
I’d love to able to say that but it’s just too difficult to pronounce!

(My attempt at a joke, sorry everyone)

Ha, i lol’d

I honestly think that, despite being super cool and great sounding / value for money, 90% of the machines people have listed wont become classics even if they deserve to be as they simply wont last long enough.

One of the things that keeps vintage gear going as a concept is that you can get the stuff repaired to be 'like new', or you can get 'New Old Stock' components. I dont know if anyone has tried to get a roland boutique repaired? But you basically just get sent a new one and they only made a limited number... All the stuff like the volcas, roland korg mini stuff just dont seem to be designed to last.

I went through 4 ESX-1's in the last decade. Wore the membranes out, had magnetic interference pop up in some, rendering knobs useless. Internal wiring and board insulation just got thinner and thinner since 2003. Gaussian eff ups result. Repair? Not a chance.