Getting into making music things and Pocket Operator

First, English is not my first language. I'm sorry about my bad English.

I'm beginner, newbie in making music.
I found OP-1 in youtube. Making music itself and OP-1 looks so cool and fancy also I really liked their unique style. but I don't have enough money....
So I searched this... company, 'Teenage Engineering'.
and I found something called 'Pocket Operator' and I thought this synthesizer? is very fit into newbies like me.
I want buy this cool synthesizer. But I couldn't chose series to buy.
Personally I really liked 'Office' and 'Arcade' series, but I'm not sure since I am a newbie.
What do you think? Is anything to recommend to newbies like me?

Hi mate. I have 3 of the 9… Soon to be 4… You can’t really go wrong in my experience. Go with the one that appeals to you. I have arcade and it is great. There are videos on each one: official and unofficial, they will shed more light on the differences. But they are great for “newbies” and beat hounds alike. For the price what U got to lose? <3

Hi mate. I have 3 of the 9... Soon to be 4... You can't really go wrong in my experience. Go with the one that appeals to you. I have arcade and it is great. There are videos on each one: official and unofficial, they will shed more light on the differences. But they are great for "newbies" and beat hounds alike. For the price what U got to lose? <3

Well I’m a student so I should careful. For me 100 dollar is very big… maybe I won’t buy once more.

Hi mate. I have 3 of the 9... Soon to be 4... You can't really go wrong in my experience. Go with the one that appeals to you. I have arcade and it is great. There are videos on each one: official and unofficial, they will shed more light on the differences. But they are great for "newbies" and beat hounds alike. For the price what U got to lose? <3

Well I’m a student so I should careful. For me 100 dollar is very big… maybe I won’t buy once more.

I understand… I was a student when I was like 31 years old… But the thing is, if you hate it, you can sell it on for not a huge loss, so don’t worry… If you’re a creative person, you’re most likely gonna love it… So just get one, and see how you like it… It’s an investment in creativity.

I got the Robot and love it, has all the synth sounds plus the dedicated drum track. It’s currently $59 on Amazon so that should help.

Get the robot for yer first go. It allows you to put down drums and bassline and solo over it in three octaves. Pretty versitile. Factory and arcade are both solid buys as well. Save Office for yer last purchase as its prolly the least “useable” by itself.

It depends a little on yuor own taste. I love groovy basslines and thats why the Sub is my favorite. Just watch the videos on youtube and listen to the different models. I think only the “arcade” is a little different, I never got used to it and like Nerdvous said, the Robot is also an great choice, because you can do a lot with it. Anyway … from my experience, you get very addicted to whatever pocket operator you buy.

I think the Arcade is the best because its chord feature. Robot is my second favorite. But I think I will have new favorites now: Ko & Speak :slight_smile:
I think it really helps to choose if you check out these short videos made by Red Means Recording. This is about Arcade but he also made videos for the others:

I’m not sure I would go for PO series if I didn’t have any cash. You can buy a used Ti-82 on Ebay for ~$15, make the audio adapter and install Houston Tracker 2 on it. Cheap, versatile, sounds pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6G0CnBSWVk&feature=youtu.be

I'm not sure I would go for PO series if I didn't have any cash. You can buy a used Ti-82 on Ebay for ~$15, make the audio adapter and install Houston Tracker 2 on it. Cheap, versatile, sounds pretty cool.

I have enough cash for buy po series. I mean I don’t want cheap one. I don’t have lots of cash but it’s enough for buy po series.

PO’s tiger games like monitor and cool design gave me eager, desire… besides I think Houston Tracker… 2 is no longer available now. http://irrlichtproject.de/houston/
anyway, thanks to advice actually this thing is cool too! I will check more about this as i can.
I'm not sure I would go for PO series if I didn't have any cash. You can buy a used Ti-82 on Ebay for ~$15, make the audio adapter and install Houston Tracker 2 on it. Cheap, versatile, sounds pretty cool.

Man, I literally tossed my wife’s Ti-82 a month ago during the move. She said let’s keep it, I agreed, then I threw it out. Karma’s a bitch.

Haha, what the hell!? I love this. How hard is the adapter to install?

If you have no cash but already have an ipad/iphone then you should buy an app like caustic 3 or groove rider gr-16 or beathawk. There are many options for ios. But it’s much quicker, easier to learn and more fun with pocket operators. I would probably go for po33 because with the sampler you can get whatever sound you want.

Plug and play. I think it's just an adapter from whatever weird standard TIs use to 3.5 audio jack - similar to 1/4 to 3.5 adapters.

Not sure why the website it down. The guy was active on SoundCloud just a few month ago. If it's not back online promptly, people will probably re-upload it. It's open source with sources on GitHub. You could probably ask fro the pre-compiled version on https://chipmusic.org/.

- - -

dnjstlr555

I just don't think PO devices are the best way to get started with electronic music. They're fun to use, they sound good and you can produce entire tracks on some of them. But there is a big difference between challenging yourself to make a PO-only tracks because you can and being stuck with a single PO device for all your music because you can't afford other things.

With some patience you can buy a full-fledged synthesizer for less than $200 on Ebay. Some of those synths are very powerful machines.

Korg MicroKorg. Of course. There are like thousands of those floating around. I actually never watched a full review, but they have a lot of different features. I think there are different models with two different sound engines, so you'd need to research which does what.

Alesis Micron. Designed by Bret Victor. Has a drum machine and tons of synth parameters. 19 filter types. FM capabilities. Very powerful machine. You can play entire songs on this thing in real time. I'm actually tempted to buy one myself.

Novation MiniNova. Great sound character. Good interface.

Arturia Microbrute. Analog! But only one voice.

Wait until the last minute and bid $200 minus shipping.
You will be outbid several times, but will eventually snatch one. Or just find something with buy-it-now option that's not broken/for parts.

Plug and play. I think it's just an adapter from whatever weird standard TIs use to 3.5 audio jack - similar to 1/4 to 3.5 adapters.

Not sure why the website it down. The guy was active on SoundCloud just a few month ago. If it's not back online promptly, people will probably re-upload it. It's open source with sources on GitHub. You could probably ask fro the pre-compiled version on https://chipmusic.org/.

- - -

dnjstlr555

I just don't think PO devices are the best way to get started with electronic music. They're fun to use, they sound good and you can produce entire tracks on some of them. But there is a big difference between challenging yourself to make a PO-only tracks because you can and being stuck with a single PO device for all your music because you can't afford other things.

With some patience you can buy a full-fledged synthesizer for less than $200 on Ebay. Some of those synths are very powerful machines.

Korg MicroKorg. Of course. There are like thousands of those floating around. I actually never watched a full review, but they have a lot of different features. I think there are different models with two different sound engines, so you'd need to research which does what.

Alesis Micron. Designed by Bret Victor. Has a drum machine and tons of synth parameters. 19 filter types. FM capabilities. Very powerful machine. You can play entire songs on this thing in real time. I'm actually tempted to buy one myself.

You will be outbid several times, but will eventually snatch one. Or just find something with buy-it-now option that's not broken/for parts.

Thanks man

- - -

dnjstlr555

Thanks for detail explanation. I’l keep those mind!