Has anyone tried and had success incorporating the OP-1 into a live DJ set?

I haven’t had access to a 4-channel mixer in a long time but I was thinking about this and was wondering if anyone has tried it and has any wisdom to share.

I’m thinking of connecting the OP-1 as the input to one of the mixer channels and then mixing in a pre-recorded OP-1 tune, playing around with it for a while performing live from the tape before mixing back into another tune and continuing the set.

There are a few possibilities I wanted to play with, for example using a sample from the track you want to mix into and ‘teasing it’ with the OP-1 before bringing it in, or maybe just layering a bassline or melody sequence made on the OP-1 onto a track that is playing and manipulating the synth engine or FX as you go.

Any thoughts?

@djtw does some slick stuff youtube dj thomas white. there are other and the OP-1 can be a slick difference in your set.

You could also run the output of a DJ mix into the audio-in of the OP-1 and sample or play effects?

I think your idea of routing the op-1 output into one of the mixer channels sounds like lots of fun, especially, if you have/get a mixer that has effects or some sends and returns with some effects plugged in. I have a Xone 92 which is an absolutely fantastic mixer with two independent analog filters (LP/HP/BP) and two sends and returns. I love using one of the sends/returns for my Strymon BigSky for some lush reverb.

One challenge might be BPM. I guess you could prepare some loops on your tape at a predetermined bpm and then base your djing around roughly that bpm… or use the white encoder in the tape screen to speed things up / slow things down on the op-1 and then do the fine tuning on the currently playing track on your turntable. It might also be fun to plug in a quick endless sequence or something and use the bpm on the op-1 to match the bpm of your currently playing track. Then for effects, you could tweak master fx on the op-1 or go mad with the send / return effects on your mixer.

If you ever get to the point where you record something, I’d be dead keen to hear!

You could also run the output of a DJ mix into the audio-in of the OP-1 and sample or play effects?

this

Check this out. No DJ mixer, but it’s a live mix http://operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1475/sammyjams-live-set-sort-of#latest

1 Like
One challenge might be BPM. I guess you could prepare some loops on your tape at a predetermined bpm and then base your djing around roughly that bpm... or use the white encoder in the tape screen to speed things up / slow things down on the op-1 and then do the fine tuning on the currently playing track on your turntable. It might also be fun to plug in a quick endless sequence or something and use the bpm on the op-1 to match the bpm of your currently playing track. Then for effects, you could tweak master fx on the op-1 or go mad with the send / return effects on your mixer.

If you ever get to the point where you record something, I'd be dead keen to hear!

Yeah this was my thought process too, some potential to add some more creativity to a DJ set here. I don’t have a mixer atm unfortunately, but I tried this with my DJ controller with a little bit of success. I couldn’t assign it to a channel but I used the OP-1 as the mic input and could overlay some sequences onto the track playing just by matching the bpm as you said. This sounded good because I was adjusting the synth parameters and FX in time with the music and it sounded pretty cool, made some nice dynamic acid house basslines with DSYNTH.

When I finally get a decent setup I’ll be sure to record some stuff haha.

Check this out. No DJ mixer, but it's a live mix http://operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1475/sammyjams-live-set-sort-of#latest

Love it! Been looking into getting the PO series, some really good sounds here. A quick setup question, is it possible to connect all three POs in series so they are synced but split their outputs and run them each into 3 separate channels on a mixer? Is that what you did with this mix?

@psychadoll - Yes, I am pretty sure you can do what you ask. The reason is that the sync signal is output on one of the channels, and the audio (mono) is output on the other. So you should be able to split the audio channels off and use the other channel to keep the 3 of them in-sync. Cheers!

Check this out. No DJ mixer, but it's a live mix http://operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1475/sammyjams-live-set-sort-of#latest

Love it! Been looking into getting the PO series, some really good sounds here. A quick setup question, is it possible to connect all three POs in series so they are synced but split their outputs and run them each into 3 separate channels on a mixer? Is that what you did with this mix?

Yup, that’s exactly what I did! Split sync 3 ways out from the iPad into each PO and then each PO separate into the mixer.