Help: OP-1 radio not picking anything up?

Hi

I just recieved my OP-1, 2 days ago, super happy with it. However, I need some help. I bought the radio antenna accessory, when I plug it in and turn sampling to radio it´s just “static noise” trough all the frequencies. I live in Iceland, but in a fairly large town so bad reception is never a probleml, we use FM radio here.

I would greatly appreciate your help :slight_smile:

Thanks

Welcome Icelandic OP-1 user :o)
Have you tried a pair of headphones instead (Or any audio cable)?
And check you are plugged into the mic socket (red and center socket).

Thanks

I’ve tried using headphones, a radio antenna & also nothing plugged, just getting static. “White Noise” baby, maybe I should just work with it, hehe.

I´ve been plugging into the red socket. Could it be that im tuned to AM radio or is that maybe not an option?

Cheers

No its strict FM (as far as I’m aware).
My radio has trouble getting clear signal but deffo picks up…
I’ll just have a quick play…

Having something plugged into both sockets (2 pair of 'phones) improved signal a lot.
Do you get a constant white noise or is there variation and quieter zones as you tune?

Yes, there is variation in noise and quiter zones (almost silence) as I tune.

Ok it worked, when I held (grasped) the radio antenna with my hand, what does that mean?

You are a conductor :slight_smile:
It seems you must have poor signal in your area but radio does work.
Mine works better when I wave headphones to certain directions and I do have trouble tuning,even in large cities (I’m in Manchester right now,largest in North England).
Maybe try longer cable runs or cable extensions if you have any and use both sockets.

I have particular bad reception today,it seems to vary. 'Wondering if weather or something else plays a part in FM reception quality.

Thanks a lot for all the help :slight_smile:

It could be the weahter, very cloudy here today.

But “ohh my”, the radio-sampling thing-a-maboop sure is fun. Inspiration everywhere.

Picked up an AM/FM battery-powered Sony ICF-P26 on Amazon for £15 and never looked back. Some really cool stuff on AM after dark. Can route it through external effects independently of OP1 and through the OP1’s fx. No interference when recording to tape (drove me nuts before). No need to leave a cable hanging out of the OP1 to act as antenna. Batteries last forever and you can listen to the thing just for fun, away from your music setup. Would be cool to put together a list of interesting radio programmes. LBC in London broadcast this weird show every Saturday 9pm, only caught it last week, on AM too!

I’ve been keeping an eye out for a cheap and decent am/FM, this one on Amazon gets some great reviews :
https://www.amazon.com/VITE-VT-112-Portable-walkman-Earphone/dp/B019BYBR48
Better yet, it’s on aliexpress delivered for 9 dollars…
VT-112 Mini Pocket Radio FM AM 2 Band Radio Multiband Radio Receiver Recorder with Rechargeable Battery
http://s.aliexpress.com/FfE7V7Bz
(from AliExpress Android

I have particular bad reception today,it seems to vary. 'Wondering if weather or something else plays a part in FM reception quality.

I had the feeling that new Beta OS made reception worse. The other day I could not for the life of me get a station tuned in cleanly. Sitting in the same spot 'm 100% sure I had plenty of stations coming in very clear, just with the old OS. Anyone else got the same impression?

I've been keeping an eye out for a cheap and decent am/FM, this one on Amazon gets some great reviews : https://www.amazon.com/VITE-VT-112-Portable-walkman-Earphone/dp/B019BYBR48 Better yet, it's on aliexpress delivered for 9 dollars..

the one I mentioned is analog - some digital tuners keep things quiet in the absence of a carrier, which is a bummer if you want to pick up static or other non-station content…

I haven’t upgraded yet @crudeoperator.
(-starting to get the itch though).

I haven't upgraded yet @crudeoperator. (-starting to get the itch though).

I’ve only done it last week since I have the feeling the official release will be a while… if it’s happening at all. I highly recommend to upgrade if you want to switch things up a bit. The ARP and the new presets are a real treat.

I was wondering about the presets .
Any nice 808 kits?

I find plugging a cable into aux helps. I find a longer cable helps more(or antenna) I find a really long cable draped around stuff like a strange antenna works really well. I find the a cable connected to a large hunk of metal really improves fidelity. I first noticed this when connecting the aux to my mixer. It really improves clarity. But any large hunk of metal will work alligator clip on the end of a 3.5mm cable. Of course being outdoors helps more. For the most part the antenna works fine. Plus I mangle/process it so much that the degraded quality is often a plus. It adds all the flavor to a track!

I find plugging a cable into aux helps. I find a longer cable helps more(or antenna)

the cable is the antenna. there are tricks to aerials. em induction is a fascinating field.

just tried the beta OS radio on headphones (cable into out as antenna). receives as expected. found a bug related to anti-click :]