High Pitch Ring when syncing OP1 to Mother32 and modular

I’m getting a constant high frequency ring coming from somewhere when using the OPLab to sequence a Mother32 with my OP1. Have USB in to CV/Gate out to Mother in USB frenzy mode.

I’m not too well versed in CV yet or syncing hardware in general so I’m having a tough time troubleshooting what it might be, sometimes it’s not even there…

Has anyone else had any issues like this?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !!

Try to put the OP-1 in OPT mode so it’ll stop drawing power from the USB. If the whining persists try unplugging gear until you find the culprit. My Beat Step Pro has ground issues like that when connecting to my modular. I use USB Powerbanks to disconnect it from the mains ground because I can’t get a common ground going with all the gear connected…

If the OP-Lab can be powered from batteries or USB you might want to consider disconnecting it from mains ground as well.

Whatever you do: If any of your mains plugs has three connectors do not break/cut or otherwise disconnect the ground. While this will “solve” your problem it might kill you which is usually undesirable. Unfortunately this is an advise that’s floating around the internet a lot.

Try to put the OP-1 in OPT mode so it'll stop drawing power from the USB. If the whining persists try unplugging gear until you find the culprit. My Beat Step Pro has ground issues like that when connecting to my modular. I use USB Powerbanks to disconnect it from the mains ground because I can't get a common ground going with all the gear connected...

If the OP-Lab can be powered from batteries or USB you might want to consider disconnecting it from mains ground as well.

Whatever you do: If any of your mains plugs has three connectors do not break/cut or otherwise disconnect the ground. While this will “solve” your problem it might kill you which is usually undesirable. Unfortunately this is an advise that’s floating around the internet a lot.

Thanks, sounds like a good start will give it a shot. And thank you for mentioning that method of breaking the ground, I have seen that brought up a lot to address a few different issues but its never seemed like a good idea to me. Would like to stay alive to continue turning nobs and pushing keys…

if its a ground loop. a ground loop isolator is a good solution. like this…

https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Ground-Isolator-Stereo-System/dp/B019393MV2

i think isolator is different than lifting ground

solved my ground loop issues w/ op1 when connecting usb even w/ usb charging turned off.

Awesome, thanks will give that a try as well.