Hooking your OP-1 up to guitar pedals?

Hi. Sorry if this is a really obvious yes or no question, my only experience musically is with guitar and the OP-1. I have a wah pedal, which I really want to use with the OP-1, plus some other pedals too (distortion, phase shfiter, distortion). How would I go about using them together, or can I even?

You should be able to just fine. I’ve used the POs through guitar pedals just fine

sure you can, you just need a cable that fits.

IMO hooking up your OP-1 to effects is best thing you can do. If you are bored, try hooking up your guitar to the OP-1 input and the output into your effect pedals. The CWO effect works really well with a guitar.
You can go as nuts as you want.

there won’t be any issue. just get a 1/8" to 1/4" cable and go at it.

also, i have used the monotron delay with my op-1, and they go together really well.

The moogerfoogers are great for synths cause you can adjust the input level, but yeah, don’t listen to anyone on the internet who tells you that you can’t put synths through guitar pedals.

Some pedals will sound fine on their own with synths, others will not (typically fuzzes and distortions are what I have more problems with) unless you do something to address the impedance/levels mismatch between synth (putting out line level signal) and pedal (wants a guitar level signal).

Just experiment, see what sounds good. If there’s a pedal you really want to use with your synth, but it sounds too farty/muddy/quiet, sticking a re-amp box (http://www.radialeng.com/prormp.php) in front of the pedal can sometimes be the fix. But like I said, try it first, if the particular pedals you have already play nice with synths, no need to run out buy additional gear.

pedals are most definitely encouraged with synths

Just got an Strymon Timeline for my synths. My first pedal! :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve played my Op1 through my wah (basically a filter) into OCD into compression into Moog Ring Mod into El Capistan then into ditto looper. and its fucking EPICCCCCCCCCCC.

1 Like

@quarantequatre just love the way his BigSky eats OP-1 sounds on a daily basis :smiley:

I do too.

My favorite “FX box” for OP-1 is my Analog Four, that has Chorus + excellent Delay and Reverb + filters and Overdrive !
And can even treat separately right and left, or a band of frequencies…

Use my OP-1 with El Capistan, Avalanche Run and Instant Lofi Junky all the time. Great with pedals!

Should the <span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>1/8" to 1/4" cable be mono or stereo?

I am also wondering what the best cable to use to send audio from op1 to guitar pedals? 1/8" trs to 1/4" ts?

I am also wondering what the best cable to use to send audio from op1 to guitar pedals? 1/8" trs to 1/4" ts?
Yes, this is the configuration you’re after. To sum your L and R down to mono: https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CMP-110-3-5mm-Interconnect-Cable/dp/B000068O3D Or if you have a pedal with stereo ins (a fair number of delays and reverbs do) there are 3.5mm trs to dual ts 1/4” cables out there: https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CMP-153-Stereo-Breakout-Cable/dp/B000068O3C

I am saving up for the Strymon Big Sky Reverb pedal, that will be fun to add to the OP-1 and I don’t even own an electric guitar.

@gmcenroe said:
I am saving up for the Strymon Big Sky Reverb pedal, that will be fun to add to the OP-1 and I don’t even own an electric guitar.

the BigSky changes drastically the OP1’s output - if the OP1 is rough and very digital, the BigSky is the complete opposite - silky smooth and that it’s digital doesn’t really show anywhere. It is an incredible box. Only shortcoming is that it’s too easy to overload its input with proper studio-level signals. Same on the TimeLine.

BigSky is a great complement to OP-1.

Note: I wouldn’t use OP-1 with mono pedals. They would negate its track panning and stereo image of its master FX.

Anyone tried hooking up the OP-1 to the Oto Machines Boum yet?