How do I save a pattern after powering down on PO-12 Rhythm?

This is probably going to sound like a noob question but how do I save a pattern so that it still exists after I power down? I know its possible because I have some how done it on a few patterns accidentally. To be more clear, I want to write over the factory preset patterns with my own; then save it; be able to power down the PO-12; and then have the pattern I created still be there when I power back up. I don’t believe there is any clear instructions on how to do this that comes with the PO-12; it shows how to copy patterns to different spots but once I power down then power back up the patterns return to the factory presets. Please help!

This doesn’t happen on my PO-12.

Any patterns I create survive removal and reinstall of the batteries.

CB

Any idea as to why it does not do that for me?

While the PO-12 is running, the patterns are stored in volatile memory (disappears when powered off).

It transfers them into non-volatile memory (retained on power-off) when it enters the auto-shutoff mode (leave inactive for like 5mins or whatever).
i.e. your patterns will not be retained when you remove the batteries unless it has entered this “sleep” mode at least once.
I forget where I read about this behaviour.

p.s. make sure you haven’t enabled any sync modes (some of them prevent the auto-shutoff mode).

Thanks for the advice! I will try this and get back to you with results.

In support of @beefinator’s post, just to let uou know I was powering off with a previously stored pattern. I had’t tried storing a pattern and then immediately powering off.

CB