::How do I? (The Q & A Thread)::

Q) Does anyone know how to sync up a Nord Drum, OP-1, and iPad (Nord beat 2) via USB hub (non powered) and USB to MIDI converter adapter cable?

It seems like my setup is only allowing me to sync one or the other (ND and OP-1) and not simultaneously. The only time I got everything to somewhat sync up was when the ND would play random notes that were not entirely sequenced by the Nord Beat app. So if I selected several notes on the app to trigger a kick on the ND, it would play just one kick, or even worse, it would trigger a snare even though the notes sequenced are not even on that channel for the snare.

here is midi settings for the Nord Beat 2 app:

Nord Drum- CH 1
OP-1- CH 1

Outputs:
OP-1 Midi
USB 2.0 Port 1 (Nord Drum)

Clock Sync- Send

These settings will allow me to sync the OP-1 and will play the Tape from the Nord Beat app. On the other hand, when the Clock Sync is OFF it triggers the ND, but not the OP-1.

Does anyone have any clues?

Is there a non-Apple (gasp!) version of the Cookbook?

you need power in that rig get the ipad charger and a usb a to usb a cable, cheap at fry’s cheaper on amazon…

and to make life easier MIDI Bridge for the iPad

Thanks @dimi3 I actually got that A-A USB cable per your suggestion from the old forum. Now I just have to download MIDI Bridge and hook it up. wish me luck…

@Drio you can ask the author Neil, as he’s always one of our members:

http://operator-1.com/index.php?p=/messages/add/iceritchie

Hi guys, sorry I haven’t contributed too much lately. Life’s been super busy (I left one workplace and started at another this week). Also, a massive thanks to @dimi3 for this site :slight_smile:

Just wanted to chime in on the drum sampler tip that @Lymtronics mentioned. It’s one of my main techniques for slicing, dicing and remixing sections of audio. It works very well indeed for Drum ‘n’ Bass, but is by no means limited to that style.

Essentially, you create a snippet of tape that contains clicks at the bpm of your current project and for a certain denomination of beats to the bar, eg, 1/8 notes. For my DnB tracks, I tend to do it for 1/8 notes at 170bpm. To do this, dial in your bpm, load up a drum kit with some kind of short click in it, eg 808 rim, use the endless sequencer, set it to 1/8 notes (or chosen denomination) and make a repeating sequence of clicks. Then record 12 seconds of it to tape, ensuring you sync start it with record + key.

Next, lift the clicks off the tape and drop them into a spare drum sampler. Now for the prep. Starting with the first key and working through the keyboard, set the corresponding samples to start exactly where each click starts and set the end point to right at the end of the whole 12 seconds. (You will need to zoom in and out to get things nice and accurate). Also set the red knob such that the sample triggers while the key is held down (simple red arrow without the perpendicular line). To make it easier, you can lift and drop the settings from one key to the next as you work your way through the keyboard. Once you’ve finished with your prep work, save the drum sampler as a preset and either rename it using a computer to “170bpm” or just remember which slot you left it on.

Phew! Next the fun bit. You can now take snippets of tape from the track you’re working on (for me, this might be a breakbeat I’ve prepared) and drop them over the top of your click drum sampler. What will happen is that all your start and end points will still be in tact, just with the new audio you dropped in instead of the clicks. This allows you to create new sequences (I prefer endless here) of the sliced and diced audio. Things to try: (1) simply rearrange the 1/8 notes to get a kind of after-the-fact fill mechanism; (2) create remixed sequences that contain elements of silence; (3) create sequences where some notes are “held down” for a few notes (this is the reason you set the end point if each click to be the very end of the 12 seconds.

Sorry for the ridiculously long post, one day I’ll make a video of the tip, but you can get some very detailed drum programming going by using it. Check out the Notorious track on my soundcloud which was for the Hitchcock Battle. Side note: the electronic bass sound from that track came from an E.S.G. sample and I saw them the other week in Glastonbury - too cool!

@Yoof sounds like quite the process, but I’ll definitely try this.

Dear Operators,

Thanks to dimi3’s suggestions I got my OG Nord Drum, OP-1, and ALL SYNCED UP! It feels good! The Midi Bride app really helped define and show Midi connections through their UI. Now, I wonder if Audio Bus is a similar app. Or is just to integrate apps together and not hardware?

note: for some reason I’m able to run my setup through a non-powered USB hub. I don’t know why…

edit: when I thought things were smooth sailing, the ND and OP-1 go out of sync with each other. WHY??? :frowning:
I have one of those cheap generic (Amazon) MIDI to USB converters, should I blame him?

@Drio Sorry no versions of the cookbook other than the Apple iPad version. I looked into Kindle format and found it needed to be ‘scripted’ and unfortunately didn’t have time to transfer the content to the kindle format without an easy and compatible authoring tool.

Ok noob question. When I’m looping I get the ‘click’ of unmatched audio files, even when it’s a sequenced beat locked with the tape/bpm etc. it’s funny, I missed this when I was working with protools the other day, it seems to adjust the files so they won’t do that. But ok so back to theop-1, I’m getting this issue fairly consistently but I’m not noticing the loop click in the battle tracks, so… What can I do?

Yes I have lots of other synth layers replicating this problem.

Thanks for the heads up about the Cook book, it also gave me a working link to the drum sound software, I’m hoping that works on PC. @drio I feel your pain about not having access to iBooks, gotta say I’m now inseparable from my ipad, a mini ipad could be a good investment, and much cheaper than the OP-1! You can jailbreak it if your avoiding for political reasons.

The loop click is most prominent if you record in loop mode. If you record without looping, and afterwards cut the audio to the desired length, there will be less click when looping.

Yes I did figure that out, but still ended up with a (less audible) click… Will have to work all these ideas into my workflow.

Ok noob question. When I'm looping I get the 'click' of unmatched audio files, even when it's a sequenced beat locked with the tape/bpm etc. it's funny, I missed this when I was working with protools the other day, it seems to adjust the files so they won't do that. But ok so back to theop-1, I'm getting this issue fairly consistently but I'm not noticing the loop click in the battle tracks, so.... What can I do?

Yes I have lots of other synth layers replicating this problem.

Testing the quote feature @dimi3 added.

We had a “petition thread” on ohpeewon about the clicking. In order to put things to rest, I asked TE if it was even possible for them to fix, and I was told they are looking into it still. Of course I was also told “it doesn’t happen to me but I agree it should be fixed” but maybe the person who answered has hypertastic timing, or since they created it have a more intuitive feel for the thing.

Maybe they could add a micro-fade feature as a stopgap until something more permanent gets figured out.
I think the RC-505 has that in order to prevent clicks…and the Octatrack too maybe?

From what I can tell protools just moves the end sample of the wave to match the beginning, but the whole vector adjusts so it’s a smooth line. Which is what I used to do manually In Cool Edit. And could do with the loops in a final arrangement in a daw.

ibooks works on the iPhone too. And on the Mac.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5953?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

E.

I’ve sent an email to the author asking if there’s any possibility of going kindle or other non apple format.

Is it possible to read The OP-1 Cookbook on iPhone? I purchased the book but it does not show up in the iBooks app on my iPhone. It does however appear in iBooks on iPad

it’s only for iPad’s version of iBook.

it’s only for iPad’s version of iBook.

Thanks. Confirmed on my iDevices.

Any response from the author on this?

I’ve sent an email to the author asking if there’s any possibility of going kindle or other non apple format.