How do you connect your op-1 to the iPad Pro 2018 (with usb-c)?

The iPad Pro 2018 is an insane device. So well build, so powerful, so fun to use… but everyday I find new reasons to roll my eyes on the “Pro” part– iOS is often very limited.

Anyhow: How do you connect your op-1 to the usb-c ipad Pros? Because I cannot get it to work with what I have so far:

My 3,5mm audio cable: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B074MQVNT2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My USB-C Dongle: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B079DRQBJZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My official 1st party USB-C to headphone jack adapter: https://www.apple.com/de/shop/product/MU7E2ZM/A/usb‑c-auf-35‑mm-kopfhörer­anschluss-adapter

• Audio cable in white output of OP-1 to the headphone jack from the USB-C-Dongle to the iPad via USB-C – no audio is coming in;
  • Audio cable in white output of OP-1 to the official apple usb-c to headphone jack adapter to the iPad via USB-C – no audio is coming in aswell;

But… even if audio would come into the iPad, I had no way of monitoring the sound, since both solutions have only one 3,5mm klinke input and once my the dongle or the adapter is connected, iOS does not let me choose the iPad speakers as an output. Sure, I could output to my Apple TV, or to Bluetooth headphones… but… yeah–

So I guess I need either a USB-C to Mic input AND headphone output, or an 3,5mm klinke splitter.

Something like this is just ugly and more stuff dangling around: https://www.amazon.de/Syncwire-Audio-Splitter-Kabel-Doppelstecker/dp/B07431YDWM/ref=sr_1_3?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=audio+splitter&qid=1563179227&s=gateway&smid=A28PMDXZ0EPKRV&sr=8-3

So I’m thinking to go USB-C to dual 3.5, but would still have the cables…
until I saw this:

This looks very user friendly! Unfortunately I can only find this connector design combining USB-C and one 3.5… But I want them splitted! Please share if you know a connector thats shaped like this and has splitted 3.5klinke :slight_smile:

Wow, way too long of a story–
Still curious how you would connect to the iPad Pro with usb-c

USB-C to USB-C cable.

I don’t follow :smiley: – you connect your op-1 with USB-C to USB-C?!

I was thinking of the OP-Z !

For OP-1 you need a USB-C to mini USB cable. Or just use a USB-C hub for the ipad, and the cable that came with the OP-1.

Well, of course I have done that. Sorry if that wasn’t clear enough in my original post.

I want to get audio from the op-1 into the iPad, which is not possible over USB, since the op-1 is not an audio interface.

Ah ha! Now I feel like a real dummy.

I use a USC audio interface. A mixer is good, but anything will do as long as it has a way to monitor the audio. Like, a USB mixer with a headphone jack.

Going the other way is easier. Apple’s own USB-C -3.5mm dongle works for sending audio from ipad to op-1.

There’s a new IPad OS in development now that should be ready for fall and really make the pro a pro device. I read from a beta user on elektronauts that you can even mount the Octatrack and manage its files this way. So I think in a couple months you’ll be able to drag tape tracks and bounces to your iPad.

^ i really hope this is true. like shoulda happened 10 years ago

Yeah, I’m familiar with the iOS 13; a friend of mine runs the public beta on his iPad Pro 2017. You can use regular external hard drives etc.; so I also figure you can use the op-1s mass storage feature to put files on it. But I doubt they have added a way to choose the audio output

So, how do you guys connect to your iPad Pros? :wink:

About halfway down the page there is a section about files. It mentions external drives and shows an image of a thumb drive in an iPad. Sounds pretty legit.

I haven’t connected my op1 to my iPad Pro yet, but do look forward to file transfers in the fall. I don’t think the op1 has the technology to stream audio over usb like the much newer OP-Z does.

Nobody doubted the file capiblities of iOS 13 :smiley:
And I know that the OP-1 cannot send audio over USB, which is why I am curious how the rest of you does it :D:D

so is it only for iPads? Pros? or is it for all iDevices??
edit: ah looks like all? too bad my phone just misses the cut :frowning:

@katerlouis the easiest way is to get a usb audio interface for your iPad
to pipe audio in and out

sorry if this is stating the obvious but to do audio from op1 to an ipad of any type it’s via an audio interface - like https://amzn.to/2XRiae6 or i use an iRig HD2 - https://amzn.to/2Yi0RCj - monitoring is easy - it travels easily - appropriate cable out from audio out of op1 and into whatever your interface is -
From there most recording software on the iPad from simple stuff like looperverse to multitrack Auria will recognise the interface for your playback or live stuff.

Or is this not the issue?

m.c.

Mcvons,

Are you using the current Ipad Pro that uses USB-C instead of Lightning?

I tried hooking the OP-1 to a Current Model iPad Pro as you suggested to an iRIG HD2 and I wasn’t successful.

Thanks for your input

2020 bump… Runnung into same issue as OP. There seems to be only one stream of audio the iPad Pro likes to be sync’d to via usb c. With the hyperdrive usb c dongle, I can plug OP-Z into iPad via usb to usb c cable. OPZ sends audio/midi out via usb with this connection, which iPad records, cool!. What iPad won’t allow, is a second usb c audio dongle to be connected to the additional usb c port on dongle, and route system audio there instead of back out to the OPZ connection. I have a K McMillan Kmix en route which has usb loop back functionality (still to be tested), so that is the next alternative, but I was hoping Apple evolved solutions for basic midi sync’d audio on this new line.

1 Like

Here’s to Hoping PLNB.

(Short of the long at the bottom)

I have an OP-Z, and an OP-1 and the iPad Pro 2018 11” 512gb WiFi only. I had an old TASCAMUSA interface that used the OLD 30 pin iPad connector which is of course useless, has USB-Mini, that doesn’t work very good at all and eventually picked up the iRig Pro DUO. The DUO allows you to input 2 channels which are by default mono, but can be rendered in stereo in the DAW. There is a refreshed version of this interface but the original one is like as low as $100 on eBay, $200 new unless marked down now, and does all the Audio work I need on my iPad…

One interface at a time.

I have asked in numerous places and the iPad, even the Pro, with iPad OS still only recognizes one Audio Interface at a time. You cannot connect 2 or more as you can on Mac or PC in a DAW. The closest you can get is with AUM and even that will not get you where you sound like you are trying to go. I would love to be able to connect my OP-Z over USB-C to my iPad Pro and route it to one stereo channel in Cubasis 2.0, soon to go dive on 3.0, and then connect the OP-1 to my iRig Pro DUO on another stereo channel and multitrack the heck out of them… But this is only accomplishable on Mac or PC. At this time, I sometimes connect my OP-Z headphone out to the OP-1 Audio input, and activate the monitor on the OP-1 and am able to record both instruments, both in MONO, unless using Spring reverb on the main on the OP-1, but this does not sound so good.

Alas the short of the long is, NOPE, can’t do multiple interfaces on this amazing tablet. Maybe they can update iPad OS someday to accommodate this shortcoming or include it in the newest Pro slighting the rest of us, because then a desktop would never be required again. All the best

default_test_tone music
“Break the default settings”
default_test_tone