How do you feed your OP-1 output into a DAW?

I use one of these

+1 for a DI, the OP-1 can be a noisy devil, I’ll try my Avalon U5 and so how it works out.

Okay - just did an experiment to compare feeding the same track into Logic Pro X by either copying the aif file into the DAW from OP-1 when USB mounted vs recording the same track into the DAW via a Presonus audio interface.

No appreciable difference in sound. And on visual inspection - even when magnified - the waveforms are close to the same. So I’m going to go for the easy approach and continue to copy the files from the OP-1. There’s no shortage of EQ and Drive opportunities within Logic. :slight_smile:

CB

1 Like

lower the right channel volume!!!

the drive doesn’t even really matter…

1 Like
Feeding into Focusrite 18i6 into line-in inputs - levels all OK here.

What cable are you using? Should be standard TRS (stereo) 3.5mm headphone to 2 x TS (mono) 6.5mm plugs. Sounds like maybe you have a balanced/unbalanced issue with your cable setup?

The same, I’m feeding the op-1 into the 18i6 and levels are pretty nice :). I actually do this only when I’m playing live in my living room.

Otherwise, I’m downloading all op-1 content on my computer, in order to have backups…

But I’ve got the op-1 for a year now and I realize that I hardly use my DAW.
I love the OP-1 workflow so much that it make more sense for me to proceed like this ATM !
It allows me to have instant fun with my hardware synths :slight_smile:

Can you use d.i box that runs with phantom power with OP-1 ? Or does the phantom harm the device ?

I use one of these

IMO the easiest (and certainly the best, quality-wise) is to just copy the tape/album tracks off of the OP-1 via USB. That way there’s no signal degradation, and you can maximize the tracks individually in your DAW.

I seem to be a permanent music making noob due having so little time nowadays that I forget how I set everything up or why.

F*c&%#g tell me about it! That’s actually why I bought an OP-1, every time I sat down to play with my synths I spent 30-60 minutes plugging stuff in right and remembering the routing setup, fixing levels etc, then I’m too angry/drunk to do anything :smiley: Figured having something portable I can just switch on and pick up where I left off would be a good move. I think there’s still value to recording your noodling into a DAW as you go tho, plus you can munge effects onto the input if you want.

1 Like

I turn volume knob in the middle position and ALWAYS disconnect USB cable

IMO the easiest (and certainly the best, quality-wise) is to just copy the tape/album tracks off of the OP-1 via USB. That way there's no signal degradation, and you can maximize the tracks individually in your DAW.

My preferred method as well.

The only time I didn’t do that was when I wanted to run the OP-1 through the iPad Gliderverb app - a nice experimental reverb app. The signal flow for that: OP-1 -> Roland Duo Capture EX -> iPad running Audiobus. The Audiobus signal path: Input -> Gliderverb -> Audioshare.

I use a roland aira mx-1 input 5/6 then the outputs of the mx-1 to my presonus studio live 16.0.2 into my mac via firewire using logic pro x but I can also connect the mx-1 via usb and add it as a track via usb audio. works well for me.

I seem to be a permanent music making noob due having so little time nowadays that I forget how I set everything up or why.

F*c&%#g tell me about it! That’s actually why I bought an OP-1, every time I sat down to play with my synths I spent 30-60 minutes plugging stuff in right and remembering the routing setup, fixing levels etc, then I’m too angry/drunk to do anything :smiley: Figured having something portable I can just switch on and pick up where I left off would be a good move. I think there’s still value to recording your noodling into a DAW as you go tho, plus you can munge effects onto the input if you want.

This cheered me up no end. Since I wrote my post we’ve had another bairn and I am actually going backwards on my knowledge. Too angry and drunk has been rejoined by too tired. The OP-1 though keeps getting better for me and it has helped me tone down the GAS big time. I am constantly amazed at how it keeps giving years down the line.

Can you use d.i box that runs with phantom power with OP-1 ? Or does the phantom harm the device ?
I use one of these

Yep! The phantom power is for the transformer in the active DI.

This is the strangest phenomenon. I spent 20 minutes fiddling with my mixer settings and checking cables before I (god damned once again…) looked on this forums to see if this was a thing. Sure enough, this little box has strange output (IMO).

I have a TRS cable, so I was baffled that the signal coming across was so weak. My only 2 quick ways to work around this I found was to do what has been mentioned…Play with the L/R settings on the master. That, or use a 1/4 splitter to actually plug into both the L and R of my mixer.

This makes little sense to me, as a TRS cable is supposed to send a stereo signal just fine? Perhaps I am missing something in the process here. I use this cable:

Amazon.com

So weird. The second I started to mess with the L/R levels in the master, the output cranked up so loud.

Oh strange little box, what other secrets are you yet to reveal to me? :wink:

1 Like

I’m thinkin the problem is how you are plugging into your interface. Jacking into a balanced mono input,while the OP-1s output is unbalanced stereo.
You need a stereo mini splitter into two seperate mono 1/4 inch .Then use both inputs on your interface as L&R .

I'm thinkin the problem is how you are plugging into your interface. Jacking into a balanced mono input,while the OP-1s output is unbalanced stereo. You need a stereo mini splitter into two seperate mono 1/4 inch .Then use both inputs on your interface as L&R .

Yeah, that is weird. My Mackie mixer has both balanced and unbalanced Inputs. Tried plugging into both with the same result. I guess I figured that since there is only 1 output from the Oh-Pee, that it would be a balanced signal coming from it.

So then yeah, my trs 1/8 to 1/4 still needs a mono 1/4 splitter coming off it. Weird.

It’s not weird at all when you know about balanced audio connections: it’s in fact a mono signal that is sent over a stereo cable, with one channel being inverted. In the “receiver” the inverted channel is inverted again and added to the other channel. This reduces external interferences on the cable.

If you connect a stereo signal, one channel would get inverted, and adding it to the other channel the mid signal (the portion that is equally distributed on both channels) will be cancelled out [ (+1) + (-1)=0) ].

1 Like
It's not weird at all when you know about balanced audio connections: it's in fact a mono signal that is sent over a stereo cable, with one channel being inverted. In the "receiver" the inverted channel is inverted again and added to the other channel. This reduces external interferences on the cable.

If you connect a stereo signal, one channel would get inverted, and adding it to the other channel the mid signal (the portion that is equally distributed on both channels) will be cancelled out [ (+1) + (-1)=0) ].

Word.

I guess I thought I understood balanced vs unbalanced connections better then I thought I did. I know what a balanced cables is, and why in some scenarios it’s a better option. But I also thought the idea was that it could send a stereo signal down 1 cable. One signal down the tip, one down the sleeve, and then the ground. I thought that your receiver or mixer could decode these into a L/R signal?

Anyways, figured out the fix for my “issue” either way. Onward and upwards.

But after rereading your post @motone, the results I was getting make perfect sense.

Its absolutely fine. Use the correct cables and interface

Its absolutely fine. Use the correct cables and interface

Succinct. Informative. I love it.