how do you record your P.O. performances?

like, what do you use? I guess you just need the one input, because they’re chained, but there might be other options. I’m hoping so

FullSizeRender

This is how I did it today. I split the clock and the audio so it doesn't get so garbled in the chain. Only mono though, so that's the drawback. That's why I ran the sub in stereo. Guess I could get stereo Y cables and that would fix it.

Zoom Q2N but then again I’m only recording the po-32.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF_L9V5-ryc

Yamaga AG06, can be powered from USB, channel 1 and 2 have fixed insert FX, works as an audio interface on iOS too. A bit chunky though

Clock is very tight : there’s not always need for chaining :slight_smile:

I often use an iRig 2 to capture a line input to record with my iPhone. Paired with Video Pro for iOS you can monitor the audio being recorded on your device. Alternatively you can listen via the iRig amplifier output without Video Pro.

Here is an example video made with only my pocket devices and the iRig, no mixer or powered amplifier.

<a target="_blank" href=“https://youtu.be/tX54HV-Ch1M” style=“margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-size: 13px; background: rgb(255, 255, 255); color: rgb(22, 122, 198); cursor: pointer; font-family: “YouTube Noto”, Roboto, arial, sans-serif;”>https://youtu.be/tX54HV-Ch1M

If I’m not using Ableton Live, I also enjoy using my cheap and portable Tascam DP-006 for on the go, computer-free recordings.
1 Like

I use 3.5mm to 2 XLR leads from each PO to 2 mono channels each on the X32 desk and 2 pok3to Sync Splitters for my Sync to each PO from a Korg Vocla FM for my Sync control

Long time passed I know, but its a good topic. I’m just starting using a revived Korg PXR4 and on the first pass recording one sync track and one rythymn from the PO, the second pass using the sync track out and recoding bass from the PO sub. Then the plan is to use the sync track into my Volca keys to put some arpeggio on track 4. lastly using the Volca with some long double notes from the 2 oscillators to make like a drone unsynced and to replace the sync pulse on track 2. . . . Will let you know the results! . . .
Korg PXR4

3 Likes

oh man i love these old forgotten digital mulititrack recorders from the 90s, early 00s

1 Like

I’ve been recoding into Garageband and listening to the output through my airpods. It does mean that I have to align the video (recorded on my phone) with the audio file if i want to make a youtube vid of the performance - but you get better sound quality than if you just record with a mic in a room with all the ambience etc.

2 Likes

I like to SYNC PO’s to the 1010music Blackbox and capture the loops that way, then use the Blackbox song mode to arrange them all. I’ll make a video soon and post on my YT showing this workflow.

2 Likes

I used to use blackbox because sync but now I use tx6 into Loopy on iPhone which means easier archiving

I’ve just bought a Bastl Dude mixer - so now I’m sending my POs seperately intot he mixer and passing thsat then through an iRig before it goes in to the compouter (recoding in Garageband).
for the synching of the POs I am mostly splitting a sych signal from my iphone into each PO. but occasionally i just set them all to the same BPM and wing-it.

I now have another technique - I have 3 POs in sync passing into my (Bastl Dude) mixer - which gives a tight performance of short loops/patterns and I swithc between patterns regularly on each PO. alongside this though I usually have the Speak running through my Monotrom delay into another mixer input. This then adds some longer notes when I either trigger samples or set a pattern running. This Speak is set at the same BPM as the other units but I trigger samples and loops at any time I see fit - and because they have planty of echo they add a spacey extra dimension that plays off the tight 4/4 rythm.

1 Like

Nice. i LOVE my Zoom Q2n. i also use a TX-6 mixer

i use a Zoom Q2N and TX-6 mixer

2 Likes

I now have another technique - i just record into my Tascam digital recorder. no messing around with Garageband any more.

1 Like