How to correctly sample something to accurately map pitch to the keyboard?

Potentially confusing title but I’m trying to wrap my head around the best way to sample something so it maps properly to each key on the keyboard. Basically, what note/pitch should a sample be when I sample it? And does it matter what key I hold when recording it into the sampler?

For example if I have a one shot sample of a guitar playing an A#, how do I sample it so when I hit A# on the OP-1, it plays an A#? And when I hit D it plays D?

Maybe I’m overcomplicating things but if an A# sample gets mapped to the C key, that sounds like a nightmare to know what note you’re playing when you hit a key.

I believe you should hold the key that corresponds to the pitch of the sample. So for your example, the A# key. I may be mis-remembering, but give that a try.

The OP-Z (and I’m pretty sure the OP-1 is the same way) is looking for melodic samples to be an A. So either make sure the sound/sample is in the key of A, or after you sample it, you can re-pitch and re-tune the sample within the sampler to A.

So in your case, since your sample is A#, you’d want to de-tune it down one semitone.

i think @mistercharlie is right tho
it will default to the key u press when sampling

i think strictly key of A is for loading samples via disk/usb

try it out for yourself! you’ll get it

I think A is the default note you want to sample. If you can’t recreate the sample accurately, you can always hold Shift+metronome and adjust the pitch in semitones.

1 Like

Huh, didn’t know that was hiding there. So is that a global pitch adjustment? Or what exactly is that tuning adjusting?

It adjusts the pitch of instruments before they are recorded to tape. You can use the fine tune to de tune two instances of the same sound for thick chorus sounds, or get more creative. The tape speed knob also works in semitones for recorded sound.

1 Like