How to get this sound?

Hi! Apologies if this isn’t the right place to ask.

I’m new to tinkering with music, and OP-1 is my first synth. I’ve read the manual and tried different sound engines but haven’t internalized how they all can sound yet.

I am often curious how a particular sound from some song can be achieved. For example, take the background synth here. It sounds really basic but I haven’t figured out just which engine to peek and which knobs to turn to achieve a similar sound.

I guess my question is a bit vague but I’d love if you could either help me find how to achieve this kind of sound, or point me at resources that help to get better at this, i.e. at navigating from having a sound in my head to actually re-creating it.

Again, sorry if this isn’t the right thing to ask. I didn’t see any threads with similar questions which was a bit surprising. Thanks!

Welcome dear !
There are ressources on the internet to learn about synthesis : when you feel the ned to learn more about this, maybe look for Gordon Reid’s “Synth Secrets”. It was really helpful for me a year ago (I still have to take the time to finish it)

@lyingdalai

Good resource! Just had a quick peek.
https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm

Will need to add that to the ever growing list of things to read!!

@latforbashes: you can make the sound you’re referring to in a number of ways on the OP-1. I’d suggest you select the FM engine, get the sound about right and then add Nitro as an effect and filter to taste.

@latforbashes: you can make the sound you're referring to in a number of ways on the OP-1. I'd suggest you select the FM engine, get the sound about right and then add Nitro as an effect and filter to taste.

+1 for actually explaining it instead of suggesting to learn complex maths etc. to get started with the OP-1…

Actually, this might be a good theme for a general thread on how to go about reproducing various sounds on the OP-1. Should be interesting to see how different people choose different approaches to get to a similar sounding result.

That’s a great idea for a thread. Some of the engines on the OP1 are a bit cryptic, especially for a beginner to synthesis.

I would absolutely love that thread. Just have to replace my keyboard module first :*(

I can see the fun in such a thread. Just as long as we don’t lose sight of the difference between giving someone a fish and giving them a fishing rod.

CB

Number 1 starting place for beginner is get your amp envelope right, your volume shape .(page 2 in synth mode).
Get your shape of the sound right first.Understand what a pad shape is as opposed to piano type or pluck.(Research this,but a pad could have slow attack1,decay2.Lower sustain3 and long release4-the trail after key is released.A piano would have quicker attack,decay,release. While a pluck could have instant attack,v.quick decay and very low sustain.Explore this).
Then work on tone with synth engine choice and effects.LFO is also a major factor in shaping our sound.We can route this to tone,volume or pitch (also FX).LFO has tonnes of scope for experiments.Check presets for how they make use of lfo for ideas.

Normal synths have base oscillator sounds ,that are then filtered and shaped with vol(amp) and filter(tone) envelopes .LFOs add further shape,that are commonly patchable to many different choice of destinations.Then add FX maybe.
Your poly mono setting has bearing on how the voice is played.

Even though a synth like OP-1 has “simple” and limited UI ,it still has me tweaking for near infinity,trying out new variations.

@latforbashes: you can make the sound you're referring to in a number of ways on the OP-1. I'd suggest you select the FM engine, get the sound about right and then add Nitro as an effect and filter to taste.
+1 for actually explaining it instead of suggesting to learn complex maths etc. to get started with the OP-1...

Actually, this might be a good theme for a general thread on how to go about reproducing various sounds on the OP-1. Should be interesting to see how different people choose different approaches to get to a similar sounding result.

Well, before going too deep, the very first lessons about what an envelope or a filter is are very helpful for the absolute beginner. Which I still believe I am, btw.