How to Play Piano Phase on an OP-1

Hey all-- just wanting to drop this somewhere because it was really exciting (and simple) to figure out.

As a percussionist, Reich is an important composer to me and thought I’d have a go at figuring out the piece on some combination of devices-- (I just realized a couple Volcas might be fun–just using tempo knobs…) but I ended up just using my OP-1.

ANYWAYS

Here’s the vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRcnRZY3Z7c

Very easy, very fun. I encourage you to try this because it’s a great piece and a wonderful introduction to the depth of minimalism. Actually this community SHOULD appreciate minimalism given how much ambient music and synth sequences involve repetition! I feel as though it’s a musical heritage we should connect with more- electronic musicians are quite experimental (just look at modular- musically and aesthetically-- also I feel Cage is important for us- just enjoying sound itself etc.) and lots of philosophy from 20th Century music can play out here.

Thanks much!

Shawn

Cool! I never unlink the tape and bpm – now I have to try it, I never thought of that before. Thanks for the fresh look!

Brilliant!

@munchybear nice :slight_smile: if you haven’t already you should check out organelle. One of the most prolific/talented coders (shreeswifty) is deep in to this kind of stuff and creating some super complex patches that are blowing my mind standalone and when used in combo with op1.

Great video :slight_smile:

Good stuff. Props.

Awesome!

That’s super cool. Just yesterday I was on the Lines forum and came across an interesting discussion on Generative music, including a cool little slideshow where this piece is mentioned among others: https://teropa.info/loop/#/generative

Guess it’s just down to Baader-Meinhof that I’m hearing about it again here the very next day. Will be sure to experiment with this and see how many other of Cage’s pieces/rules can be translated to the OP1…

Excellent! Always good to see minimalist compositions arranged for electronic instruments.

Obligatory plug for my version from a couple of years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOf6IUWjegg

I’m considering doing Music For 18 Musicians using a nanoloop ensemble, but I don’t know 18 local people with copies of nanoloop… so I guess it’ll have to be overdubs :smiley:

Great video @MunchyBear!

Re Nanoloop, the great thing about it is that it’s available for smartphones. I once gave a workshop for making music with Nanoloop, directed at people who know nothing about making music. We had a Nanoloop ensemble going on really quickly, syncing them manually – which also created a lot of interesting rhythmic effects. I didn’t even have a mixer, we just used the smartphones’ built-in speakers.

Edit: Just finished listening to the @psedolux version, great job too! =)

Excellent! Always good to see minimalist compositions arranged for electronic instruments.

This is a really good performance! So many interesting little nooks and crannies explored. It’s wild how much it can change, to the point where you’d swear the pattern is different.

OMG I remember playing with Music Mouse back in the day. Of course there’s a browser-based version now

Very, very nice. Thanks for sharing.

This is a really good performance! So many interesting little nooks and crannies explored. It’s wild how much it can change, to the point where you’d swear the pattern is different.

Great video @MunchyBear!

Re Nanoloop, the great thing about it is that it's available for smartphones. I once gave a workshop for making music with Nanoloop, directed at people who know nothing about making music. We had a Nanoloop ensemble going on really quickly, syncing them manually – which also created a lot of interesting rhythmic effects. I didn't even have a mixer, we just used the smartphones' built-in speakers.

Edit: Just finished listening to the @psedolux version, great job too! =)

thanks guys!

A nanoloop ensemble sounds like a great idea and I’d love to get one together myself. A couple of my friends did a nanoloop workshop here in Melbourne last year for the Square Sounds festival; I’m thinking of doing a followup version for advanced sound design, maybe including an ensemble performance :smiley: