how to stop sample speed changing with pitch?

hi all! got my OP-1 a few days ago and having a lot of fun using it!

one thing i’ve noticed is that when you record samples, the speed of the sample speeds up or slows down with the pitch.
is there a way to have the sample playback play at the same rate as the original sample?

No, not on the OP-1. The speed at which the sample is played is why the pitch changes. They don’t have a “time stretch” algorithm to keep the same sample length with changed pitch.

If you just want to adjust the pitch to a certain tuning, you can try the PHONE effect. BLUE parameter adjusts pitch, crank GREEN and WHITE to zero, and RED to maximum. In most cases it will sound horrible, but it may work.

There is also a trick that uses a value LFO on the ‘forward-reverse’ setting for the sample (Shift-blue). The depth and speed of the LFO affects how much the sample is timestretched, without changing the pitch. I think it’s in the Tips and Tricks thread.

Good tips guys.
I will add shift & Blue to get fine control over pitch with Phone.

Yeah, it’s the first post there @mesoboy

If you just want to adjust the pitch to a certain tuning, you can try the PHONE effect. BLUE parameter adjusts pitch, crank GREEN and WHITE to zero, and RED to maximum. In most cases it will sound horrible, but it may work.

Further to this I’ve found that if you stick to between the 2nd and 3rd tick marks for the Tone (Blue), set Phonic (Green) to 0 for more drum beat type sounds and 100 for “softer” things like speech you can get some not half bad lo-fi pitch shifting. Try putting a speech radio station (like BBC Radio 4 in the UK) in through the live input, put Phone on the master effect and twiddle away to experiment. If you set Telematic (Red) to 50 and you set the Tone just around 2.5 you can get some cheap chorus effects. Mix with the Tremolo LFO affected the Tone (Blue) and you can get some nice rhythmic stuff going on. I’ve avoided the Phone effect as I couldn’t seem to get it, but after seeing this I’ve been mucking about with it all afternoon. :slight_smile: Keep the Baud (White) at 0 though as it sounds yuk otherwise. Sorry if this has already been said before. :slight_smile:

1 Like

nice one👍🏼