How to use an external keyboard via midi to control the OP-1 (not wanting to use Ableton)?

Hello,
I have a m-audio 49 key midi controller and an OP-1.
I think it sure would be lovely to use the velocity sensitive 49 full sided keys on my m-audio to control the OP-1 but I don’t know how to do this.

Any help on how to do this as simply as possible is appreciated.
Thank you

As simple as possible would be buying the iConnect4MIDI+ or similar (MIDI USB Host), plugging the devices in, and playing.

using an ipad or iphone. a computer can also easily handle it. laptop etc…

then there are device like the inconnect and kenton.

the m-audio keyboard uses a firewire to usb cable, not DIN midi.

Most of the usb to midi devices that I see have 1 usb and the rest of the in and outs are DIN midi.

My set up would need to accommodate the usb midi coming from the keyboard and then a usb midi out to the OP-1.

The iConnect4MIDI+ supports plugging in a USB hub, and up to 7 USB connected MIDI devices.

With pc/mac/laptop you can use app that just routing midi from one device to another. Don’t need a heavy software like ableton, there is a number of lightweight utilities. I use MIDI Monitor for mac, for example. Also you can replace laptop by mini-computer like raspberry pi model B (need to explore linux software and some configuring stuff at this case).

If you want to use dedicated solution, there is Kenton MIDI USB HOST, Teenage Engineering OPLAB, iConnectMIDI products.

@tralivallo is there a solution to do this with an ipad too?

@Eti i found this in “tips and tricks” topic:

<div class=“Item-Header CommentHeader” style=“margin: 0px; padding: 0px; outline: 0px; border: 0px currentColor; border-image: none; color: rgb(37, 38, 30); line-height: 22.1px; font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-style: normal; vertical-align: baseline; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>
MrJoshua
June 28
<div class=“Item-BodyWrap” style=“margin: 0px; padding: 0px; outline: 0px; border: 0px currentColor; border-image: none; color: rgb(37, 38, 30); line-height: 22.1px; font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-style: normal; vertical-align: baseline; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>
Want to connect a small USB midi keyboard to your OP-1 while on the go, but don’t want to spend big bucks on an OPLAB or iConnect?

An iPhone, Apple camera connection kit, passive USB Hub and the MidiBridge app works just fine.

I think it should work, maybe not with all USB hubs though, can't test this solution for now.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I want to use my DAW (FL Studio on Windows), note data in piano roll to trigger synths from my ipad, and then record it back into the DAW. What gadget, if any do you guys recommend?

I have Korg M1 app for ipad and I saw a midi over bluetooth option. I mean, if I could somehow fire midi data from the DAW to the ipad, that’d be perfect (I think).
Can anyone point me in the right direction? I want to use my DAW (FL Studio on Windows), note data in piano roll to trigger synths from my ipad, and then record it back into the DAW. What gadget, if any do you guys recommend?

I have Korg M1 app for ipad and I saw a midi over bluetooth option. I mean, if I could somehow fire midi data from the DAW to the ipad, that'd be perfect (I think).

OPlab can do this.

Just go to appstore and get StudioMux App or MusicIO app. Both can route MIDI to IPAD and route digital audio back to DAW with your charging cable.

So, if I connect a USB cable from my PC (DAW) into the OPLab which will recieve MIDI from the PC and then the lightning cable to my iPad mini from the USB end attached to the OPLab, I will achieve the greatness I seek?

So, if I connect a USB cable from my PC (DAW) into the OPLab which will recieve MIDI from the PC and then the lightning cable to my iPad mini from the USB end attached to the OPLab, I will achieve the greatness I seek?

With oplab you able to route MIDI from PC to IPAD, but you still need to connect audio out from ipad to your soundcard or audio interface (and there is maybe quality loss). Oplab does not route audio. For certain task it’s enough to plug ipad to PC and get Studiomux/Music IO app, that provide MIDI to IOS and raw digital audio stream to your DAW, and you don’t need oplab. Unless you already have an oplab or want to buy it for another tasks too.

Thanks tralivallo. Really helpful. Studiomux looks like the way to go. I’ll give it a go.