I just bought an Octatrack

Man, it even does vaporwave!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHOGh8-NBV8

Awesome vid ! But it’s only tracks processed through the octatrack filters/effects, isn’t it ?

No idea, could be a combination of both.

Didn’t get much of a chance to use it today and I have to work tomorrow (last Saturday I have to work this year!) but I will get a chance to hit the woodshed tomorrow night.

Still building up some better samples to put in it. I think tomorrow will be dedicated to learning how to sample from both the computer and live recording. Kind of an important step with a sampler

Sampled (live recorded, even) and trimmed an old synth pad line me and my bandmate found lying around in our old Ableton projects, put a boom-bap over it with the stock drums, and hey, a first real beat. Starting to understand the basics now.

Gonna work on constructing some of my own drum kits plus other various noises. Also going to investigate the advantages and disadvantages of Static versus Flex machines (I’ve only been using Flex).

Also going to see what these Swing Trigs are all about. I will post a bit of music once something passable comes out of it.

Static basically free up the memory…
You cannot normalize the sounds though.
Now you can sample, save as new flex, do your manipulations then use your sample as Static.

In general, your samples will already be fine so use static as much as you can, no memory limit :slight_smile:

soundcloud.com/hismostdarxxxellent/darxxxecrets
This version differs from the other I posted, I rounded off some rough edges.

I just got my octactrack. Slapped this together yesterday with some sampled guitar.

https://soundcloud.com/finaleut/influenza
I just got my octactrack. Slapped this together yesterday with some sampled guitar.

Nice and mellow, nicely done :slight_smile:

Thanks. Pretty fun machine.

Nice work, y’all.

Noob question: In the second pattern of the song I’m making, I re-use a sample (a synth pad) and layer it on top of the original sample but pitched down to -4.0. When I switch back to pattern 1 the pitched-down sample plays for a little bit, but the original sample does not. Is this a time stretch issue?

Oh, and I fully intended to do more sampling tonight but I got home late from work and was too fuckin’ tired to even try. Tomorrow night I’ll plug in my Pocket Operators and OP-1

Are you using a p-lock on the second pattern or changing the sample on the playback window?

Nice work, y'all.

Noob question: In the second pattern of the song I'm making, I re-use a sample (a synth pad) and layer it on top of the original sample but pitched down to -4.0. When I switch back to pattern 1 the pitched-down sample plays for a little bit, but the original sample does not. Is this a time stretch issue?

Oh, and I fully intended to do more sampling tonight but I got home late from work and was too fuckin' tired to even try. Tomorrow night I'll plug in my Pocket Operators and OP-1

Track samples play til their end when switching patterns (or they continue to loop if loop is activated) unless a trig on the active pattern kills them. Maybe that’s what’s happening? There’s an option for’ tracks start silent’ that changes this behavior. Or you can just p-lock the level to 0 on the first step of the pattern.

Not totally sure that this is what you mean but hope that helps?

Are you using a p-lock on the second pattern or changing the sample on the playback window?

It’s the same sample on a different track which I changed in the playback window

Nice work, y’all.

Noob question: In the second pattern of the song I’m making, I re-use a sample (a synth pad) and layer it on top of the original sample but pitched down to -4.0. When I switch back to pattern 1 the pitched-down sample plays for a little bit, but the original sample does not. Is this a time stretch issue?

Oh, and I fully intended to do more sampling tonight but I got home late from work and was too fuckin’ tired to even try. Tomorrow night I’ll plug in my Pocket Operators and OP-1

Track samples play til their end when switching patterns (or they continue to loop if loop is activated) unless a trig on the active pattern kills them. Maybe that’s what’s happening? There’s an option for’ tracks start silent’ that changes this behavior. Or you can just p-lock the level to 0 on the first step of the pattern.

Not totally sure that this is what you mean but hope that helps?

I’ll probably end up just putting a silent trig on the first pattern so that the track doesn’t keep playing. Or figure out how to mute tracks on each pattern since the problematic sample is on track 6 or something

If you don’t want the tail of your sample to be heard on another pattern, there are numerous possibilities :

- use slices : one slice takes the whole sample, and two other divide the sample in two (head and tail).
Program the head so that he slice ends exactly at the end of your pattern. And if you want to hear the rest of the sample at the beginning of your pattern, use the tail at trig 1
- use length or envelope
- use a one shot trig that would end the sample (with e.g. hold and decay to 0) : when you want to jump to the other pattern, hit track + yes and your sample will be cut. Use microtiming (hold trig then hit right arrow) if you want your one shot trig to be at the very end of your pattern

I guess there are other tricks to do what you want.
:slight_smile:

I’ll figure something out, thanks for all your suggestions. Still early stages with this thing, after all. Haven’t even used the different kinds of trigs yet or made my own drum kit.

One-shot trigs are pretty cool for creating fills : you activate them on one track by holding the track button and hitting yes.

You can place a one-shot trig by holding Fn and hitting a trig. Look for the “one-shot trig” chapter.

It’s especially useful for sampling : most of the time, you’ll want to sample a loop only once.
To achieve this you use on the recording track, guess what ?
a one-shot trig !!
:smiley:

VERY useful feature.
Drumkits are cool, but you can find plenty on the internet that are balanced well and conceived for the OT (basically, 64 samples placed regularly).
What is really fun, I found, is more sampling a loop you did on e.g. a Volca and mangle it beyond recognition ^^

this is sick

One-shot trigs are pretty cool for creating fills : you activate them on one track by holding the track button and hitting yes.
You can place a one-shot trig by holding Fn and hitting a trig. Look for the "one-shot trig" chapter.

It's especially useful for sampling : most of the time, you'll want to sample a loop only once.
To achieve this you use on the recording track, guess what ?
a one-shot trig !!
:D

VERY useful feature.
Drumkits are cool, but you can find plenty on the internet that are balanced well and conceived for the OT (basically, 64 samples placed regularly).
What is really fun, I found, is more sampling a loop you did on e.g. a Volca and mangle it beyond recognition ^^

Yeah, I’m going to sample my PO-12 tonight I think. Should be interesting.

this is sick

Thanks.

Sampled some PO-12 stuff into Orochi (my cute nickname for my Octatrack) tonight. Tried slicing up a full loop which didn’t go so well so I just made a pattern on the PO with each step being a different sound and sliced THAT up. Also didn’t go so well since the kick drum was clipping and the noise sound on the PO bled into a few of the other sounds. Live and learn, I guess, and also the pattern on the PO with each step being a different sound, all in order, is pretty groovin’ actually so I’ll keep that one for later.

One step at a time. I’m basically starting with zero knowledge so I’m in no rush to be a master of this thing. A solid foundation is key to blasting off to the musical cosmos.

Once I make a PO-12 “kit” on Orochi, I’ll experiment with Static machines to run something behind that kit, probably an OP-1 something or other. I’ve gotten the hand of live recording so next up is using recording triggers, and using Swing Trigs so everything doesn’t sound so stiff.

Oh, and the trick of using a "silent’ trig on pattern 1 to make the errant sample on pattern 2 shut up worked.

PS: I really wish one could save sequences on the OP-1, especially in Endless. I can’t remember the notes for the one I have in there now and I kind of want to use Endless for something else on the Octatrack but don’t want to lose what I have now.

I figured out how to reverse samples. FEAR MY SWOOSHY REVERSED SNARE

Still haven’t done swing trigs or nothin’ yet. My beats always tend to sound stiff even on the OP-1 so it’s more a problem with me than the excellent sequencers I have access to. Is there any way to add retriggers to snares or hats and not make it sound like broke-ass trap music?

Speaking of snares, I may just be a particular sort of guy, but something about most snares gets on my ear’s nerves. Too tinny, too brittle, stand out too much in the mix. Been trying to tone down the one I’m using with the filter. We’ll see what my bandmate says when I show him what I’ve done, he’s usually the dude who says “The snares are fine, stop fiddling”. We all need that person.

Anyways, making progress even though I can only dedicate an hour a night to the thing. Should have a track done by Monday, though.

Hey @Jellygeist have you tried the layer clap or block on accent snares for better snares trick? Then effect both tracks similar .
Also micro shifting triggers page is really good for looser feel. I think its hold trigger and < or > ,but not sure.