I just bought an Octatrack

You can also record unquantized in the sequencer - something that’s not advertised much. Search for quantized/quantization or similar in the manual. After that they can be quantized in something like 33% steps, which is nice.

Hey @Jellygeist have you tried the layer clap or block on accent snares for better snares trick? Then effect both tracks similar . Also micro shifting triggers page is really good for looser feel. I think its hold trigger and < or > ,but not sure.

That’s indeed what it is. Very nice trick, thanks for pointing it out!

I have the whole day today to dedicate to the Octatrack so that’s what I’m gonna do.

Hey, the track is finished:

https://soundcloud.com/capsule-kids/to-slide-on-glass-mountains

Word to the wise: Don’t move samples around in the file system. I done gone and moved the synth pad I used for the above track and now I have to rebuild the song. I mean, it was recorded already so there’s that, but I wanted to keep it around anyways.

It won’t be exactly the same when I rebuild it but that’s life, ain’t it.

Working on doing basic beats right now, using acoustic drum hits I found on Freesound. Then gonna resample those basic beats to put them on one track, you know, basic stuff.

Also gonna finish the OP-1 song for Capsule Kids so I can free up some stuff to put into the Octatrack

@Jellygeist if you need a tool for file management, consider getting Rusty’s OctaEdit :slight_smile:

Really love this track !!

@Jellygeist if you need a tool for file management, consider getting Rusty's OctaEdit :)

Really love this track !!

Thanks! It’ll be fun rebuilding it to see what happens and hey, maybe it’ll be better.

I looked at OctaEdit and it seems useful but it’s 99 bucks. I’m sure it’s worth that much but I don’t feel like spending that kind of money at the moment. Thanks for the suggestion though!

I fulfilled a goal today, which was to resample a bunch of tracks using a recorder trig and turn them all into one thing.

I wanted to slow said thing right down but it sounds really distorted if I turn the tempo down too much. Maybe I haven’t got the time stretching settings right?
I looked at OctaEdit and it seems useful but it's 99 bucks. I'm sure it's worth that much but I don't feel like spending that kind of money at the moment. Thanks for the suggestion though!

You can try to win one licence :slight_smile:

Was in a bad mood so I didn’t do too much with Orochi tonight, but I at least switched it on and mucked about a bit.

Any particular reason why a sample wouldn’t load? I have this nice pad I got from Freesound but it says “sample load error” so I just messed around with the sample I used in the track I posted instead.

It’s a holiday weekend coming up so I’ll have tons of time then to work on my goals.

A sample will not load in FLEX RAM if you have used all the space.
Do you have the same trouble with STATIC machine ?
Send the link to the sample, if answer is yes :slight_smile:

A sample will not load in FLEX RAM if you have used all the space. Do you have the same trouble with STATIC machine ? Send the link to the sample, if answer is yes :)

Yeah, I was trying to load it into a STATIC machine

Here it is: SAMPLE

I have a suspicion that it might be the bit depth. It’s 32 bit which I have never seen before and I really doubt the OT can handle that.
A sample will not load in FLEX RAM if you have used all the space. Do you have the same trouble with STATIC machine ? Send the link to the sample, if answer is yes :)

Yeah, I was trying to load it into a STATIC machine

Here it is: SAMPLE

I have a suspicion that it might be the bit depth. It’s 32 bit which I have never seen before and I really doubt the OT can handle that.

Haha, I have seen 32 bit before, what am I talking about. Still don’t think the OT can handle it.

Iirc OT only eats 16 and 24 bits :slight_smile:
You should convert your sample.

Iirc OT only eats 16 and 24 bits :) You should convert your sample.

Yup, I did before I went to bed and it worked. Now to figure out how to make it play the whole thing in 64 steps. Isn’t there are a way to time stretch it to do so?

Yes there is.

You hold the track button, hit EDIT (I think it’s the BANK button)
Now you can edit slice, etc.
Go to the far right, iirc
You can see there that there is a beat that is detected. You can change this.

Other way : play with the rate and/or the pitch to get what you want.

Not sure you can really time stretch it and keep the pitch though. I feel like you can’t but I can’t say I’m sure of this 100%…

EDIT : Just googled “Octatrack timestretch” :
Elektron Octatrack pitch shift and timestretch demo - YouTube

@Jellygeist don’t forget Elektronauts contains a lot of answers ! And now the search feature is reliable :slight_smile:

First thing I was indicating is where you set the timestretch algorithm (OFF / NORMAL / BEAT)

Manual says "If the TSTR parameter in the FLEX/STATIC PLAYBACK SETUP menu is set to AUTO, different timestretch settings can be applied to different samples used in a track."

So… You also have to look into the manual I guess :smiley:

First thing I was indicating is where you set the timestretch algorithm (OFF / NORMAL / BEAT)
Manual says "If the TSTR parameter in the FLEX/STATIC PLAYBACK SETUP menu is set to AUTO, different timestretch settings can be applied to different samples used in a track."

So... You also have to look into the manual I guess :D

The manual is actually pretty well written, it’s saving my life. Thanks for the video, too.

I ended up giving up on the sample I was trying to use because it doesn’t really fit with what I’m trying to do anyways. I think I’m going to record my own pad from the OP-1 and just use that.

Oh, and I managed to rebuild the track I ruined, just had to put the right samples back in the right machines.

Tomorrow I’m going to try to do polyrhythms without really having got rhythms down yet. Wish me luck, it’s been a rough few days at work and it’s making me not in the mood for music making but I still do a little each day anyways.

To hit beat, I advise to use Slice mode if using a sample chain, or slot mode, which is fun as well.

To hit beat, I advise to use Slice mode if using a sample chain, or slot mode, which is fun as well.

Used slices a bit, really like how you can resample a whole 64 steps of drums and use slices to introduce the variations.

Didn’t do the polyrhythms today, but figured out how to use that pad after all: distort the hell out of it and have it trigger a few times to avoid the fact that it doesn’t loop properly. Couldn’t make anything on the OP-1 that fit with what I’m trying to do with this track.

Does each pattern in a project have to be the same length? Like, can I make the first pattern four-to-the-floor and then the second pattern have a bunch of weird shit happening?

You can of course have a different lengths for all pattern.

And you can even set a different length for each track inside one pattern !
:slight_smile:

Unfortunately you can’t direct jump from one pattern to another.
But you can program weirder thing in the Arranger (check this once you master the rest :wink:

You can of course have a different lengths for all pattern.
And you can even set a different length for each track inside one pattern !
:slight_smile:

Unfortunately you can’t direct jump from one pattern to another.
But you can program weirder thing in the Arranger (check this once you master the rest :wink:

Already used the Arranger in a limited way to make To Slide on Glass Mountains. Looking forward to using the BPM changes and other craziness! Thanks for the tips, too.

Didn’t do much on Orochi today, (sorta) finished an OP-1 track instead:

https://soundcloud.com/capsule-kids/so-billy

Will work on Octatrack stuff tomorrow. Good ol’ Canadian Thanksgiving is giving me lots of free time