I miss Slump

I miss Slump. It's apparently the same engine as Voltage but to my brain the UI was much easier to use.
Moreover Slump had something DRY in its sound that i can't feel with Voltage... maybe my imagination?

It has been used 90% of the time in the past 6 month to the point that i thought "i would buy an OP-1 for the same price if it only had Slump, EG+LFO"

Not anymore !

Anyway it sounded so good to me that i want to go back to 076 and never leave again

Alas the reddit dl link is now dead.
I've foolishly lost the file i had.
Would a merciful soul point me to the right direction?

There are 2 OP-1s at home so i will definitely A/B them and report back

Got it. damn internet is cool

The first obvious difference is that Voltage clicks when attack or decay are set to 0

i like me some click. snappy ADSR’s for the win. helps give certain kind of patches more play-ability. a more piano like sound.

Ahah I was just looking for a place to express the exact opposite : I never really gelled with Slump essentially because the UI was so abstract, I never managed to memorize what did what.
Voltage is becoming my favorite engine these days, I love the way the sound evolves when tweaking the knobs… Chords are so beautiful !
And it fits the Tape very well !!! :smiley:

I only used slump for shoegaze voltage is cool though

Slump lover here. Defo different to Voltage, in my head at least :slight_smile:

Yep, slump + the beta arp ruled. Yet to feel like the final versions are as good/better. Haven’t had much time on them tho.

I loved slump too and I used it for the battle 43.
The fact is I make totally different sounds with voltage, sounds that I love too.
I was wondering if they’re really the same synthesizers, or if it’s just a visual effect that makes me aboard these differently.

I loved slump too and I used it for the battle 43. The fact is I make totally different sounds with voltage, sounds that I love too. I was wondering if they're really the same synthesizers, or if it's just a visual effect that makes me aboard these differently.

I got a reply from TE before I updated to final beta saying they’re definitely the same engine. I explained to them I was in middle of recording some tracks using some slump patches I’d dialled. Be pretty lame if they’d been untruthful in their reply, so I’m guessing they were being legit when they said it’s the same synth. Just think I preferred the old UI for some reason maybe? Hard to explain…

Maybe some of the parameters of Voltage have a shorter dimension now, so that youre only tweaking a part of the old Slump engine for easier finding sweetspots , I have that feeling

I made a mistake in my last post "or and if it’s just a visual…"

I understand your feeling @Callofthevoid,but yes I also guess they’re legit :slight_smile:

The graphic approach is different, we just need to practise it a little more :wink: and all gonna be alright

This UI makes it much more intuitive. Easiest way to revert to Slump mode is to look away from the display :slight_smile:

I feel the same about loving the slump engine. I used the hell out of it in beta, but can’t seem to dial in similar sounds that I would use. I figured I would give it some time to see if it is just me. But my gut tells me it may be the same engine, but we are not able to dial it in the same way.

Maybe some of the parameters of Voltage have a shorter dimension now, so that youre only tweaking a part of the old Slump engine for easier finding sweetspots , I have that feeling
I feel the same about loving the slump engine. I used the hell out of it in beta, but can't seem to dial in similar sounds that I would use. I figured I would give it some time to see if it is just me. But my gut tells me it may be the same engine, but we are not able to dial it in the same way.

Thanks guys glad to hear i'm not alone

I think i found the major difference
For clarity's sake i'm going to refer to Slump's green knob and Voltage's white knob as "filter"

Well, V's filter has approximatively a 80% course compared to S's filter. Perhaps a different curve.
To me, pretty much all the sweet spots are there, combined with the other parameters.
I use it as a reverse LPF with key follower where max setting corresponds to a kinda closed filter that gives me clean sinewavey tones and 50% fully opens the filter letting a nice clean sawtooth thru. I rarely go below 50%.
Not beeing able to monitor filter's value with V is a drawback imo.

I tried to replicate some sounds using both V and S simultaneously, and maybe it's because my flatmate's Op-1 is brand new and mine is older and all the dust and cigarette ash inside make it sound warmer haha but S definitely sounds dryer/mellower with this filter settings. V has subtle chorusing thing always going on making it always sound kind of "wet"

Other than that, the only difference if see is in the parameter knob layout

Blue became Green
White became Blue
Green became White

Ahah I was just looking for a place to express the exact opposite : I never really gelled with Slump essentially because the UI was so abstract, I never managed to memorize what did what. Voltage is becoming my favorite engine these days, I love the way the sound evolves when tweaking the knobs... Chords are so beautiful ! And it fits the Tape very well !!! :D

it made me smile it really is the exact opposite

it’s true that voltage sounds awesome, but so does slump !

can we have both?

it’s amazing how a little change in the UI can change a whole experience

Yes, amazing ! This is the heart of OP1 I guess.

Now maybe it would be possible to ask OP1 firmware hackers to bring back Slump in the new firmware :smiley:

I thought I heard some more Moog-ish, lush lower-end tones with Slump, which I’m unable to replicate with Voltage, but perhaps it was just my state of mind. Voltage takes a bit of work to get away from that “I mic’d up a Tesla coil” vibe.

I haven’t updated yet because I really don’t want to lose the beta arp. I have a dozen or so slump presets as well. It’s going to take more than the Voltage synth to get me to switch.