I need a good field recorder

Got it. I believe the original poster is looking to buy new, so the H4 wouldn’t be available in any case.

Olympus LS5 also out of stock… but I’m really pleased with it. Maybe newer models

Really interested in Mikme BTW, anybody here getting one? They’re supposed to ship about now I think. That would be cool to carry around. I’m going to wait for some reviews before considering one.

I really like the sony pcm-m10 and recently bought a 2nd one since they will soon be unavailable or too expensive to justify over the m100. Can’t beat the stealth factor- the m10 + binaural headset mics looks like you are listening to a phone. Much better than my h2n for recording really quiet environs-but the h2n’s multiple mic options is nice and works well for noisy suburban situations. the zooms are pretty noisy in comparison. I also have a sound devices 702 that is probably the gold standard for quiet mic preamps, but the m10 holds it’s own in comparison with it’s internal mics, but given they are close spaced omnis, the stereo filed is lacking. I use a Wildtronics.com SAAM mic/preamp with the m10 and have never heard anything better-an all in one, very portable package. The 702 may have slightly less noise in this setup over the m10, but not worth the extra weight and risk of such an expensive device for general filed use.

I have the old h4 and have no complaints. When I do film work I use a cloudlifter on the boom to give more clean gain, thats about it. No complaints on the x-y mics. Its handy for sure and the price was right…

<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>Is Sony going to replace the m10 with a new model?

Is Sony going to replace the m10 with a new model?

Ah, found out: Sony ICD SX-2000 is the new replacement.

Comes with a windscreen! Looks more narrow than the m10, but longer.

what? no rec level control? grr

I decided to go with the Sony HDR-MV1 when I was looking into this. There are a helluva lot of options. The mics are great and it has the option the record just sound and not visuals. Might be difficult to fit a wind muffler thingymajig over it but it’s a very nice piece of kit.

Here’s a great example of what it can do;
https://youtu.be/ExlkQ1IJEig

For my videos I use the direct line in.
Good luck with your choice!

what? no rec level control? grr

There is according to the spec, but no dedicated knob. So menu diving or over blue tooth with their app.

Olympus LS100. Super clean preamps. Better sound, fewer ins though.

I use the smaller olympus LS3 which is about 160,- euro, very good quality and super small, so I have it always with me.