Ideas to record samples longer than 20s

Unless TE decides to increase the sample limit to more than 20s, I am looking for solutions to overcome that limit.

The best way (beside chopping samples) I guess it would be to use an external sampler. I am thinking of the 1010music Tangerine or Blackbox 2 (I want something portable). I would record samples there and trigger them via MIDI from the OP-XY. I will let you know if I use any of those.

Anyone has better ideas?

Thanks!

1 Like

A classic trick from the sampler era in the 1990s was to change the sample rate, which in modern terms is equivalent to pitching the sample up. Raising the pitch by one octave effectively halves the playback duration, allowing you to fit twice as much material into the same memory.

However, don’t forget the Nyquist limit: if your original sample rate is 44.1 kHz, you should first apply a low-pass filter around 11.025 kHz before pitching the sample up by an octave. Otherwise, frequencies above the new Nyquist frequency will alias and create unwanted artifacts.

2 Likes

i wish there’d been an easier way to do those kind of pitch/rate transformations on device…seems like you can switch to mono or lower SR now but i never got to try the new firmware before i sold mine

needing the desktop app or, like OP said, another sampler to shorten samples is where my creative spark gets extinguished

the one time i tried seriously was using a 4 track tascam to speed up tapes that i sampled via EP

1 Like

I am wondering just so I can learn something.

  • How much sampling time would be ideal for you?
  • Why is 20 second (stereo@44.1) per sample not enough
  • Why is 40 seconds (stereo@44.1) per patch not enough
  • How would you be using your ideal amount of sample time

I’m just having a failure of imagination here. I can imagine some ways to use more space like having stems n whatnot. Cool, but I feel like that is outside its design parameters/purpose.

Hi! I still don’t know. To be safe I would like a limit of 5m for example. Probably 1 or 2m would be enough. I want to record guitar takes. For example one for verse, another for bridge, chorus, etc. A verse can be easily more than 20s. And sometimes I may want to add a long guitar or synth evolving with some effect.

What is a patch on the OP-XY?

I’m using 1010music bluebox as well as op-1 field which both serves as seperate multi-track recorders and are synced to op-xy clock. Blackbox 2 sounds like a good solution though imo.

2 Likes

Hi Yens! I’m curious, how is your setup exactly? In particular, I’m interested in this: do you control the bluebox from the op-xy? And do you route the audio from the bluebox into the op-xy? That’s my idea, but I’m open to see how other people set things up.

Thank you!

I use the Tangerine. It is a very compact and very well sounding device, but without battery. Therefore I would recommend the Blackbox 2.

Yep. I’ve seen there’s an optional external battery/case available. But I may go for the blackbox anyway.

A patch is something that takes up a track slot.

Afaik the limitations are on memory size, not sample time. Using mono will increase your sample time. Using lower sample rate does the same thing. But I suppose this only works with uploading your samples, not actively sampling.

This might be a useful post: Reddit

1 Like

I’m using my OP-XY as host sequencer and control/sync all other synths (OP-1f and Roland SH-4d) as well as the bluebox which has midi learn. Everything is mixed and recorded on the bluebox on individual tracks. Then I edit the tracks on the bluebox with the OP-XY by automating fades, eq and fx-sends. This setup is completely portable even if the bluebox doesn’t have a battery; it can run for many hours with a decent usb powerbank with pd capacity. I recommend the bluebox for its simple interface not taking away from all other instruments.

The Blackbox 2 seems to be very capable sampler with lots of features but may make the sampler on the OP-XY completely redundant. The bluebox is basically a mixer/multi-track recorder.

1 Like

Ah, I see, for what I want, the blackbox is what I need. Thank you for the information!

1 Like