iFixit OP-1 keyboard replacement coming my way...

Hello,

I noticed that my sequencer button was getting less and less responsive so I took it apart to deoxit it, did it. Not much change (althought it did wonders on my MPC) so I tried again… except that this time I broke the super tiny plastic bit under the key. Rather than looking for a key and still have the non responsiveness issue I thought that getting the whole keyboard would have me sorted out for a while in that area… £74 later.

https://eustore.ifixit.com/index.php?cl=details&cnid=466f5936907d5f69f238116b763dd4c7&anid=c5b60771f8dc243b911a6d49a35f4b23&listtype=list&&sid=839411789539c562da4dca2a1699907f&lang=1

Anyone has experienced an iFixit keyboard self replacement recently? Their US website has a pretty straight forward how to guide.

Also do you know if this include the whole tact switch board? (not sure that’s how it’s called)

Thanks!

hi @lefilou - do please let us know how you got on with the replacement. I think this might be something I’m going to have to deal with as well in the not so distant future. thanks!

hi @lefilou - do please let us know how you got on with the replacement. I think this might be something I'm going to have to deal with as well in the not so distant future. thanks!

Sure thing. I can already say the iFixit is pretty responsive. Order passed last night at 11pm, got an email at 8am saying it will be processed today.

Yep! I did replace it a couple of weeks ago following this tutorial and it was pretty straightforward. The order includes the whole board (exactly what is shown on the picture), which was both frustating (as i just needed to change the screen and it was a bit expensive for a tiny piece of transparent plastic) and good news (cause now i have A LOT of spare parts in case of accident!).

Yep! I did replace it a couple of weeks ago following this tutorial and it was pretty straightforward. The order includes the whole board (exactly what is shown on the picture), which was both frustating (as i just needed to change the screen and it was a bit expensive for a tiny piece of transparent plastic) and good news (cause now i have A LOT of spare parts in case of accident!).

Great news @artsun ! Looking forward to receive mine. Did you buy the specific tools shown in the tutorial as well or used what you had laying around?
I’m pretty sure I have the right screwdriver, and I guess the rest is easily replaceable… it’s just that I don’t want to break any more buttons! Grrr…

No I didn’t buy any specific tool, just used mine! And a little bit of precaution of course :slight_smile:

Of course, indeed.

It arrived today already, will assemble tonight… unless after work drinks get out of hand.

@bigbiscuits all went well. Just make sure all the screws are out before you try to pull the keyboard out. If it doesn’t come out, means they’re not all out is all I’m goner say.
Also there’s a specific way to pull the different kinds of buttons out without breaking them. Refer to this tutorial:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Teenage+Engineering+OP-1+Keyboard+Replacement/64179

rad thank you @lefilou good to know I’ll be able to do myself when the time comes.

Awesome to see these parts on ifixit.com

Should all of us be future-proofing and buy a set?

Should all of us be future-proofing and buy a set?

Not a bad idea. Otherwise not sure what I would’ve done. My OP-1 is way out of warranty.

Hey gang - Wondering if there would be an honest and responsible user out there in the UK or EU that would consider ordering one of these on my behalf and shipping to the States? Willing to pay for all costs, of course, plus more for the inconvenience. iFixit is not selling these in their US store, unfortunately. Please feel free to message me and thanks in advance for your consideration.

just use a re-shipper like https://mailboxde.com

Hey gang - Wondering if there would be an honest and responsible user out there in the UK or EU that would consider ordering one of these on my behalf and shipping to the States? Willing to pay for all costs, of course, plus more for the inconvenience. iFixit is not selling these in their US store, unfortunately. Please feel free to message me and thanks in advance for your consideration.

If no one has come to your rescue already, I’ll offer my services :slight_smile:

Thank you @husker, great idea. And I appreciate the assistance @MrJoshua, I’ll give you a shout if I need to take you up on that!