I'm still looking to buy a OP-1 keyboard module. And selling an unopened OP-1 spare keys set

I’m still looking to buy a keyboard module for my OP-1. A couple of my keys no longer work so I need to install another one. Get in touch if you have you one to sell. I’m also still selling a pack of unopened OP-1 keys from TE. I was selling for £70 but now £55. Thanks.

have u tried cleaning the key contacts themselves?

alot of times i think something is broken its really just dirty and cleaning it brings it back to life

just a thought. if it doesn’t work u still in the same boat. no harm no foul

Thanks for the tip. I did try cleaning it out with electronic cleaner but to no avail. Very frustrating.

Another possibility is a bad connection in the flex cables. If that does not help either than it could be a logic board failure.

I haven’t tried the flex cable connections - that might be worth a go.

I gave the key contacts a good clean with compressed air and they’ve all been working perfectly for over a week :slight_smile:

I lifted the black plastic around each key’s button and got the compressed air in under that. I was quite thorough as I had nothing to lose.

Just thought I’d share in case anyone else has the key stutter issue.

The key on my keyboard is retriggering again and cleaning isn’t solving the issue. I might have to buy a new keyboard. It’s £150 on iFixit!!! Don’t suppose anyone has a spare one they want to sell for cheaper?

I have a couple spare bits for sale - including a brand new set of keyboard keys and a brand new connector board.

just gunna throw this out here
might be worth checking out
in case your issue is with the rubber membranes wearing out
also just trying to spread the word if it doesn’t help u specifically
in case it might help someone else somewhere else somewhere down the line.

this stuff called caikote
http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1626/.f?sc=2&category=181
which is like a silvery substance that u dab on the black (carbon?) membranes
that make the button connections on the rubber pad // domes.

i dunno… this shit was new to me recently
not sure if alot of ppl know about it or not
but i was able to revive a handful of devices (couple SP404’s an SU700 and an SU10)
whose buttons had started going and cleaning the board contacts didn’t help at all.
(double triggers, not triggering, paritally triggering, etc etc)

really works like a charm. pads are better than new.

2 Likes

This is very interesting, thanks for sharing. I love fixing stuff and would rather try that. Seems crazy to replace the whole keyboard for one defunct key.

Previously cleaning with compressed air was partially effective at solving the issue. That doesn’t seem to work now. I have noticed that if I put heavy pressure on the rubber pad it works for a few minutes following that but quickly fails again.

The fact it can come back to life intermittently suggests a fix might be possible.

Based on your experience fixing other devices, how and where would you suggest this product needs to be applied to the OP-1? Only place I can think of is underneath the rubber button. I have been accessing that area by pinching the rubber button and lifting it and also using a pair of tweezers to lift the black plastic that the button is sat on.

Only issue I see doing it that way is it would be impossible not to get any on the black plastic and in the link you shared it says “Do not allow it to remain on a surface NOT being treated, particularly plastic. Once it has dried, it is quite difficult to remove”.

the rubber domes usually have like a black area underneath. like a black dot or something.
this is the carbon coating that creates the electrical connection to the board
when u press a button down.

that black area is where u want to apply the caikote
they actually give u a few different tools to apply it that work well.
some are really small for tight applications. u just gotta go slow and be careful.
don’t overdab the applicators so it won’t goop too much and get messy.

it wipes off pretty easily if u get some strays on other areas
as it takes a bit of time to dry and cure.
the instructions say 10-15 minutes with full conductivity and adhesion within a few hours.
ime i would say u prolly got more like 30-45 minutes
so don’t worry it doesn’t dry like instantly.
you’ll have plenty of time to get it off if u do get it elsewhere.
a lil rubbing alcohol on a qtip worked nicely for me to clean up

just looking at hte ifixit guide for replacing the keyboard real quick
its not super clear if u can remove the rubber domes completely or not
if u can i would def do that so u can separate them from your op1 and apply the caikote safely
if u can’t i’m not totally sure how u would get at the underneath
as i wouldn’t just apply it underneath blindly.

maybe u’d have to separate the PCB from the rest of the keyboard so u could get underneath the domes? i dunno just thinking out loud…

hope this helps!
godspeed you

I’ve done a little bit of research since your last post and I think you’re right that cleaning and/or applying the caikote to the rubber pad underneath the rubber domes will probably fix this particular issue.

The problem though is how to access those pads.

I posed this question to iFixit and they replied: “you cannot reach the contact underneath the rubbers without damaging the rubber surface”.

I had a look at some pictures of the replacement keyboard units and accessing from underneath the keyboard doesn’t really look like an option.

It’s very frustrating as in principle it sounds like such an easy fix, yet because of the architecture of the buttons it’s going to be difficult, if not impossible.

I read somewhere that somebody used a fine needle to syringe a tiny drop of cleaner inside the rubber button which helped clean the contacts. So that could be an option.

Only other approach I can think of is to have a go at very carefully removing the rubber button from the board and hope it comes off in such a way that I can access the contacts underneath.

Very risky approach, but as the button doesn’t work in its current state I’ve not got much to lose.

I also bought that carbon spray stuff a decade ago and fixed the connectors of the rubber pads on my electribe m. I still have it but it’s not that sticky but works.
Not long ago I had a faulty key on the fatar of my Mfb synth. Really, there was a bit of dust so small you barely couldn’t see it, after wiping it away the key was working again. It’s not needed to buy a a new keyboard I’m sure.It’s probably only a small piece which resists the compressed air @BarneyBrown

I’m sure you are right Mixrasta but the problem is accessing those rubber pads on the OP-1. I think I can see a small dot of rubber at the top of the rubber domes but not sure how I’d access it without pulling or cutting the dome off. I might try getting a syringe and putting a drop of key cleaner inside the dome to see if that cleans it sufficiently.

1 Like

i wonder how they connect the PCB with the rest of the keyboard tho?
theres gotta be a way to separate them,
its hard to tell from the pictures tho.
then u could have at the rubber domes and the contacts on the board easily

Thanks for the caikote tip @docshermsticks ! Sounds like some spiritual shit, like your device needs to go heal at an ayahuasca retreat.

Hey this key retrig issue kept happening to me also. It turned out to be the tiniest amount of vapour that got trapped in the rubber dome pads, quite possibly from the fog machine at one of our gigs, I also live in an apartment which tends to be quite cold and damp in the winter.

After cleaning behind the keys and placing the op1 by a fan heater (not close, like two metres away) directly in front of the warm air current for a solid couple of hours - totally fixed the issue. It did play up again by the following week. So I repeated the hot air technique and since then decided to store it in a case I bought for it, when I wasn’t using it (I used to have it on my desktop when it wasn’t in use). Haven’t had any issues with the keys in 2 years. Hope this helps.

HAG