iPad (and VST) vs VA

I have been looking around for a cheap/midprice VA synth to buy (think miniak, ion, blofeld, etc) but when I listen etc it is pretty hard/impossible for me to discern between a VA synth and some audio that comes out of my iPad. I use pretty decent headphones (Beyerdynamic DT150). I mean it is not hard to hear their own character but I can’t identify the sound that sets a VA apart from software. (Note that I am not talking about stuff that integrate analog filters and what not)

It is pretty logical if you think about it, a VA synth is also just software.
So what is your opinion? the reason I ask is because I seriously doubt if 200-400 Euro’s spent on a VA synth is justifiable.

Buy a VA synth for the interface (or in the case of some earlier ones, the lower bit depth “DAC magic”) first, sound second, imo. Obviously sound matters, but your experience is not uncommon.

How good the person coding the DSP engine matters a whole lot, too.

iPad is underrated for Synths. I really find there are a lot of great apps and they are cheap! I like my apps better than I like VSTS for sure. I also like recording sound rather than generating it in DAWs so it’s handy having like 100 different synths in a little touch square. That being said Real synths with knobs and keys are fun! I would like the Novation MiniNova, and the Microkorg really is a classic. Don’t let the presets fool you, you can really get in deep with the Micro. Rivals the original Nord Lead for sure, which is also a great VA hardware.

Yeah, the interface is the main issue to me. Soft knobs on a screen are like an inspiration killer. On the other hand I can link up my BCR2000 with my synths and voila you got a shit ton of knobs and buttons.
Technology is making my life hard.

I bagged a Miniak for £120 about 18 months ago. Total bargain and it actually sounded fantastic however, I ended up selling as vsts/ipad covered my VA needs better and I wanted to save for an A4. I still miss the Miniak sometimes, had some great features. Not much point to this post (!) other than to say everyone’s different and you might be best taking the plunge on a bargain and trying something out. Doesn’t work fir you then sell and move on!

Every digital synth is different and yes DACS play a big role in the sound as well, a VA is not just software. Especially the older VA or wavetable synths.

The interface, the OS, the difference in sound all plays a part in how you approach it, play with it, and how it affects you when you are being creative.

For me I can’t just get into the ipad as a musical device. I have every single synth/drum/DAW/sampler app and I still end up not wanting to use the iPad. Give me a Nord and I will probably not stop using it! Everyone is different but also every device is different. You never know what your relationship will end up being with something. I would never have thought the OP-1 was going to be something I would like or use that much

Yeah what I’ve learnt about hardware is that I like the knob per function feature(first), and the sounds(second).

I usually don’t like VA and go straight for analogue gear, but there’s plenty of amazing stuff I do like the sound of on my ipad, I just dont find it as accessible as a hardware synth.

Go the hardware I say! And get a good midi interface for your ipad while your at it, to better exploit it’s many apps.

Hardware synths will out last software /mobiles,the operating system won’t be discontinued either.
Also limitations rock with music.plus I agree about the interface being inspiring.

Ps Try the Kaossilator version 1(small silver&yellow or pink original),very cheap,sounds amazing and is the easiest synth /drums to play ever.havnt tried the iOS version but I bet it’s better.
Hardware everytime (even though software sounds great-I’ve just bought sunrizer and xynthesizr which I am loving.plus that Sector looks great).

The iPad is part of my rotation of mobile devices (iPad, Nintendo 3DS, OP-1) that I take on my daily train ride. I have found that I do most of my synthesis experimentations/patching on this train ride. When I’m home, I’m either playing my traditional instruments (viola, guitar, etc.) or muckng about with recording - not spending too much time on synthesis.

There are so many choices for cheap analog these days that I don’t see the appeal for VAs in the same price range, unless you insist on polyphony in all your synths. For example, I’d take a Microbrute over a Miniak - heck the real analog is cheaper than the VA in this case.

VA is still cool for its own sound :shrug: i’ve used a few, were the analog? i dunno, but they still ripped

What I like about the analog gear is the greater degree of unpredictability because of voltage control, but I do agree that there are some good sounding VAs out there.

What I like about the analog gear is the greater degree of unpredictability because of voltage control, but I do agree that there are some good sounding VAs out there.
I bought the iVCS3 iPad synth by apeSoft a couple of days ago and it is by far the closest-to-analog sounding and the most unpredictable vsynth I've ever come across. It emulates the classic and highly sought-after EMS 'The Putney' VCS3 synth and seems to excel at that. Many consider this synth a monster-fx generator but it can be tamed and turned into a highly playable instrument. Costs somewhat more than most iPad synths (and a lot less than some mainstream apps..) but imo it is worth every penny. I will use it extensively along with my analog gear.
I bought the iVCS3 iPad synth by apeSoft a couple of days ago and it is by far the closest-to-analog sounding and the most unpredictable vsynth I've ever come across. It emulates the classic and highly sought-after EMS 'The Putney' VCS3 synth and seems to excel at that. Many consider this synth a monster-fx generator but it can be tamed and turned into a highly playable instrument. Costs somewhat more than most iPad synths (and a lot less than some mainstream apps..) but imo it is worth every penny. I will use it extensively along with my analog gear.

Great app, like all the apeSoft apps I’ve tried/used.

iMS-20 is also quite good. There is an obsessive user who did an A/B video between that and a real MS-20. I also have both the app and an MS-20 Mini - the app is close enough that it’s usable for testing out patching ideas on the real thing, with the exception of anything involving the External Signal Processor section.