ipad apps on the 5.5inch iPhone 6?

has anyone heard of any rumors/facts about devs making their ipad apps compatible with the new iPhone 6? It'd be cool to see apps like Samplr (and a tons of others) working on the 5.5inch screen version of the new iPhone...

What iphone6??

But seriously, the ipad’s screen is much bigger and apps get designed for 2 handed operation because of this.

The ipad mini is pushing it a bit imo. Iphone needs its own designs/apps

they released a new iPhone today @GrainBastard, at least in the US. 4.7" and 5.5" screens

I doubt Apple is letting iPad apps run on the phablet one, though, but some devs might be inclined to take advantage of the real estate depending on what the resolution is. Assuming Apple even lets the SDK differentiate between them, I have no idea.

This should be in the gearlust thread lol.

HA! Warning Apple products may effect the Temporal Lobe.

A lot of popular iPad apps are actually IOS Universal, which means they’ll run on iPhone and iPad. It’s up to the developer to decide whether to target iPhone, iPad, or Universal.

I was specifically talking about resolution/UI @GovernorSilver. ie, can the SDK let a developer tell that app to run the iPad UI on the 5.5" iPhone like the iPad can run iPhone apps. Right now it’s like you said.

I guess you’d have to ask a developer. I dunno how much control he/she has over how a Universal app looks when shrunk down to iPhone size. OF course if the dev coded specifically for iPad, it would be on him/her to make an iPhone version or convert it to Universal.

Ya, Apple won’t put iPad apps on the big ass iPhone for the same reason Elektron won’t put external midi sequencing in the RYTM. Product overlap, they want you to buy both…and the watch.

^ yup. same reason TE didn't put MIDI din on the OP-1... so you'd have shell out $300 for the Oplab... for a single MIDI out for the OP-1 you have to pay TE $300 for the Oplab upgrade... makes total sense. You'd pay less for a used microsampler than an Oplab, and you'd have MIDI out, and be able to use the MIDI and sampler at the same time. I don't need all that other shtuff on the Oplab. Capitalism is alive and well ya'll...

While I don’t discount the more cynical reasons, there’s the more practical one - an app designed for a 7.9 inch screen (itself scaled down from 9.7) would be unusable on a 5.5 inch screen.

I’m an iOS developer (not music apps). I can tell you that the 6 Plus will display split-view apps like an iPad, but ONLY if the developer makes changes to do this. They aren’t necessarily big changes though.

The iPhone 6 does NOT do this. Only the 6 plus.

Now, that said, many music apps don’t use these standard UI elements and controls, so they can really do whatever they feel works given the screen size.

I personally think the iPad mini is a bit small for many music apps.

My pockets aren’t large enough for an iPhone 6 plus!

There’s no way you could fit a MIDI DIN connector on an OP-1 without making it thicker, so I’m pretty happy it doesn’t have one… @22tape, don’t buy the Oplab if all you need is MIDI, get a used iConnect MIDI / Kenton or even cheaper build a MIDI adapter with an Arduino.

There's no way you could fit a MIDI DIN connector on an OP-1 without making it thicker, so I'm pretty happy it doesn't have one... @22tape, don't buy the Oplab if all you need is MIDI, get a used iConnect MIDI / Kenton or even cheaper build a MIDI adapter with an Arduino.

the Beat Step, the iRig Pro HD (iirc, one of them has this) and new Electribes have a 3.5mmMIDI jack that uses an adapter cable to breakout to a DIN jack. So I mean I guess TE could have one… Just randomly saying that something OP-1 friendly actually exists.

Of course such a jack would permanently break on 33-50% of OP-1s after a few uses >.>

Now I’m just being a dick :smiley: lol…

Fair enough @KrisM, forgot about those small MIDI ports!

yep, I wasn’t saying that TE should have added a MIDI din port to the unit itself…there’s the 3.5mm MIDI option and…

Any word about the OTG omission? If that were implemented, couldn't we just use one of these (and a standard USB to MIDI adapter) to connect directly to hardware?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0081CRXGI?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creativeASIN=B0081CRXGI&linkCode=xm2&tag=mikrosonic-20

I know they work to pass MIDI on Droid phones..

Ya, Apple won't put iPad apps on the big ass iPhone for the same reason Elektron won't put external midi sequencing in the RYTM. Product overlap, they want you to buy both....and the watch.

It’s not up to Apple, it’s up to the developers.

For example, Tony Saunders, developer of Analog MIDI Sequencer, was already asking if anyone was getting an iPhone 6 Plus on the day the iPhone 6 models were announced - he was trying to be proactive for customers, present and future.

If you want Samplr to run on iPhone 6, go contact the developer. If you want another app for that platform, go contact that app’s developer.

apps, sure. UI, signs point to no. When I had a Note and Note 2, it was cool to trick apps into running in ‘tablet mode’ on the device. I’m sure some Cydia dev will figure out a way to make Universal apps use the iPad version if Apple doesn’t allow it.

yeah I did indeed contact the devs for the apps to see about releasing their ipad apps for the 6+. i just started the thread to see if anyone has heard anything about devs who are already doing this... like the Analog MIDI Sequencer app... thanks for the headsup there!

. I'm sure some Cydia dev will figure out a way to make Universal apps use the iPad version if Apple doesn't allow it.

Apple do allow it. If you tell an iPad storyboard file to run as the UI on the iPhone, then run it on an iPhone 6 Plus, you’ll get tablet UI. I did this myself yesterday (with the iPhone 6 Plus simulator and my code). Looked pretty nice. Doesn’t work on the “little” (!) iPhone 6 though.