Is it me or does the iConnectMIDI2+ suck?

I was looking for a way to controller other devices with my OP-1 without a computer. I noticed that the first Iconnect had a ‘normal’ type A usb port to plugin a OP-1 or whatever. But the IconnectMIDI2+ does not have this. Or am I missing something here?

You’re not missing anything. It does, AFAIK, suck! :stuck_out_tongue:

iConnectMIDI2+ is a poor fit for the OP-1 for the reasons you state. It’s not a USB host.

You’d need either the original iConnectMIDI, the iConnectMIDI4+, or the Kenton USB host.

+2 is for computer or iPad users can never stand alone

you have to hook up the iconnect 2 to a usb hub but going from printer cable to printer cable is annoying. the 4 has the proper usb port.

In the current interface line, only iConnectMIDI4+ can “host” class compliant USB-MIDI devices (some retailers will not have the legacy iConnectMIDI). With a powered USB hub, you could connect up to 8 class compliant USB-MIDI devices to the ‘host port’ on the iConnectMIDi4+. After setting up your MIDI routing, you could run the interface standalone without a computer. This would be ideal for live stage performance using external sound modules and a summing mixer, or just multiple DI. You just need the computers when using the ‘Audio passThru’ aspect of the ‘device ports’.

The ‘device ports’ will be looking for Macs, PCs, and iOS devices. So you would not be able to use any USB B adapters to connected interface to these ports.

Let me know if you have any other concerns on ‘device ports’ or the ‘host port’.
Cheers!
In the current interface line, only iConnectMIDI4+ can "host" class compliant USB-MIDI devices (some retailers will not have the legacy iConnectMIDI). With a powered USB hub, you could connect up to 8 class compliant USB-MIDI devices to the 'host port' on the iConnectMIDi4+. After setting up your MIDI routing, you could run the interface standalone without a computer. This would be ideal for live stage performance using external sound modules and a summing mixer, or just multiple DI. You just need the computers when using the 'Audio passThru' aspect of the 'device ports'.

The 'device ports' will be looking for Macs, PCs, and iOS devices. So you would not be able to use any USB B adapters to connected interface to these ports.

Let me know if you have any other concerns on 'device ports' or the 'host port'.
Cheers!

Thanks for your reply. Why was it taken out of the smaller version? The OP-1 community adored the product for this option. The 4+ just seems to big for me and therefor a waste of money.

In the current interface line, only iConnectMIDI4+ can "host" class compliant USB-MIDI devices (some retailers will not have the legacy iConnectMIDI). With a powered USB hub, you could connect up to 8 class compliant USB-MIDI devices to the 'host port' on the iConnectMIDi4+. After setting up your MIDI routing, you could run the interface standalone without a computer. This would be ideal for live stage performance using external sound modules and a summing mixer, or just multiple DI. You just need the computers when using the 'Audio passThru' aspect of the 'device ports'.

The 'device ports' will be looking for Macs, PCs, and iOS devices. So you would not be able to use any USB B adapters to connected interface to these ports.

Let me know if you have any other concerns on 'device ports' or the 'host port'.
Cheers!

Will any of the iConnectmidis work with the iTrack dock from Focusrite. It has a USB type A port and I’m also able to use a USB to Midi converter cable on it.

Ah , @Josh_iConnectivity so to clarify
Device ports are just for apps/software and that is why the connection sockets don’t fit your common end of USB equipment cables .If you want to connect controllers /OP1 /Aturia Beatstep type USB separates you use a powered hub attached to host port?

Huh, glad I got the original then! It’s still available at awave.com.au if you’re in Australia. I haven’t tried it with the op-1 but I’ve connected all kinds of things and it “just works” I haven’t even had to use the ipad app yet.

Josh I’ve just re read the site and it’s really not clear that either the 2+ or 4+ can work independently of a usb host. It’s really clear on the old page for the original (point 3: “computer optional”). This was the main selling point for me, but had I gone the other way and gotten the 2+ which they also had in stock, I’d have been seriously p’d off!

@karbonckel

Do you mean, why does iConnectMIDI2+ not have hosting capabilities as well?
If so, mostly due to price range/manufacturing cost. The iConnectMIDI2+ would be too close in price to iConnectMIDI4+ if it also had a ‘host port’ solution/PCB design.

I hear you on the size though, iConnectMIDI2+ pretty much fits in your pocket :slight_smile:

Will any of the iConnectmidis work with the iTrack dock from Focusrite. It has a USB type A port and I'm also able to use a USB to Midi converter cable on it.

Hey @kites,

Your iTrack is accepting USB-MIDI from a controller on that port. You will not be able to use USB adapters in situations like this - its a bit different iTrack Dock supports USB-MIDI class complaint devices as well, from what it looks like in the specs on their site. If you used a class complaint MIDI I/O in order to use DIN cables, like you mentioned, you can get MIDI back and forth from the iTrack and iConnectMIDI4+ or even iConnectMIDI2+.

@Spheric_El

Yes, ‘device ports’ are looking for computing devices (OSX/iOS and Windows OS computers).
The ‘host port’ is “hosting” the class compliant USB-MIDI device. When you use a powered USB hub, you can expand connection to 8 controllers total. This can be anything from keyboard controllers to drum pads to electronic drumkits - as long as the device uses the class complaint MIDI standard (doesn’t come with a special driver from the manufacture). USB-Audio interfacing is not supported via ‘host port’, just MIDI.

One thing to keep in mind - some USB-MIDI hardware may want to be connected directly to your computer, such as Ableton Push, in order to interact with a software API or editor/mapper. When the controller is connected via ‘host port’, your computer system will not see the device, therefore you would not be able to select special controller support through software preferences. In this case, if the device had a basic MIDI mode you would still be able to use it with the ‘host port’, but the hardware will not interact with the software via SysEx dumps and such.

@Lushr,
Thanks for the feedback - that’s good to know. We are currently updating the site so I will make sure that feature is highlighted better. I agree, it is a really cool feature for stage performance i.e.using multiple MIDI controllers and some external sound modules.
Will any of the iConnectmidis work with the iTrack dock from Focusrite. It has a USB type A port and I'm also able to use a USB to Midi converter cable on it.

Hey @kites,

Your iTrack is accepting USB-MIDI from a controller on that port. You will not be able to use USB adapters in situations like this - its a bit different iTrack Dock supports USB-MIDI class complaint devices as well, from what it looks like in the specs on their site. If you used a class complaint MIDI I/O in order to use DIN cables, like you mentioned, you can get MIDI back and forth from the iTrack and iConnectMIDI4+ or even iConnectMIDI2+.

Thanks for the Info @Josh_iConnectivity I appreciate it, it definitely reflects the integrity of the companies customer support.

I’ve been searching for a deal for the original iConnectmidi for quite sometime, but I might just cave in and get the iConnectMidi2+ in hopes that it will work with the iTrack Dock. I’m pretty oblivious about the whole class compliant/usb midi concept and I don’t understand why Focusrite didn’t enable the iTrack Dock’s only USB port to allow a USB hub in order to host multiple controllers. A Focusrite rep told me that he would ask developers to test the iConnectmidi and the iConnectmidi2+, but it’s been several weeks without any confirmation.

On another note, is there any estimate of a release date on the iConnectaudio4+ yet??

Thanks a lot @Josh_iConnectivity ,that really does clear things up and I think it’s an excellent product (iCM4+) well worth the investment.

@kites - we started testing a new prototype board for iConnectAUDIO4+ about a month ago. So we do not have a projected date to share at this time. Once we get to mass production we will have a better idea. We will update users on our facebook and twitter, so feel free to join us there.

We appreciate your patience. It will be well worth the wait.

I’m happy to announce that the OG iConnectmidi works wells with Focusrites itrack Dock. This allows 5 pin din Midi connections and more USB controllers with USB hub. Quite the powerful all-in-one rig for the iPad!