Is the OP-Z cool or does it suck?

@GCF said:
Yeah, seems like they have a user in mind for this. One that wants to do live video stuff. Which is absolutely fine – there are plenty of things I don’t buy because it isn’t for me :slight_smile: But considering how most companies operate, I doubt there will be any sort of cheaper spin-offs or anything like that. I’ve made peace with it being $600, and I will just have to wait to decide whether it is worth that to me. For a similar amount of money, I’d consider the Digitone.

Exactly. My production is 100% based on lives (not live video stuff, but…) and I´m pretty sure that the OP-Z as a very compact, light and battery-based multitrack sequencer will fits perfectly on my setup. Indeed, I´m selling the Digitakt to fund a Digitone and hope to use the Digitone with the OP-Z soon! :slight_smile:

@GCF said:
@Callofthevoid aren’t there some really deep sequencer apps on iOS? Or have you not checked them out? I’ve looked but was waiting on actually spending more time making music on iOS.

Yeah there are some amazing sequencers on ios. Quantum is next level. Has similar step components etc to op-z and a lot of other functionality… But it isn’t AUv3 so workflow sucks when you have to switch apps. Also tedious to setup anything like p-locks…

Octatrack is cool with iPad in studio but OP-Z got me gassing for a little external hardware sequencer I can use with iPad on the sofa or travelling etc :wink:

@Callofthevoid said:

@GCF said:
@Callofthevoid aren’t there some really deep sequencer apps on iOS? Or have you not checked them out? I’ve looked but was waiting on actually spending more time making music on iOS.

Yeah there are some amazing sequencers on ios. Quantum is next level. Has similar step components etc to op-z and a lot of other functionality… But it isn’t AUv3 so workflow sucks when you have to switch apps. Also tedious to setup anything like p-locks…

Octatrack is cool with iPad in studio but OP-Z got me gassing for a little external hardware sequencer I can use with iPad on the sofa or travelling etc :wink:

Check the Rozeta suite of sequencers if you haven’t already, essential iOS purchase

@hindsite said:

@Callofthevoid said:

@GCF said:

Check the Rozeta suite of sequencers if you haven’t already, essential iOS purchase

Yeh, Rozeta’s pretty cool but it’s one sequence per instance :frowning: So there’s no switching/tweaking patterns across multiple tracks simulatanously like you would on an elektron or the op-z. The new app from beepstreet sounds like it’ll maybe be a gamechanger. A modular Improved Digitakt in AUv3, apparently… Something like opz still appeals though, just to have the sequencer totally separate from the iPad and have access to both UI’s simultaneously…

@Callofthevoid what app is the new from beepstreet? I haven’t heard of it.

@Fattigman said:
@Callofthevoid what app is the new from beepstreet? I haven’t heard of it.

Think it’s gonna be called DRambo. Out in June. Full modular digitakt, even down to sample locks…+ modular synthesis and slices etc with an Elektron style multitrack sequencer with p-locks and trig conditions etc… and he’s talking about adding Octatrack scenes/fader and a bunch of other stuff… Think it might be the first app from someone that owns/loves an Elektron box and has the coding chops to translate that nicely in to ios…

I love the title of this thread ?

I think the answer is most definitely IT DOES NOT SUCK… IT’S COOL, probably VERY COOL… Buuuuuut.

• Arguably EXPENSIVE
  • Limited at launch
  • Surrounded by question marks

I say this as someone who has already paid for one 3 months ago. I am very excited that it looks like I’ll be in the first small shipment (HOPEFULLY)… I’ll be sure to post up a full review, maybe an unboxing initially to give a feel for first impressions / intuitiveness.

At this point, I feel that even if the minimum amount of features are present that were hoping for, it’s still going to be amazing, for what it is ( like the op1 )… Let’s not forget that one of the things many of us admit (sometimes begrudgingly for me) is that the limitations on the op1… Lack of things we wished were there / sometimes still wish were there, are what makes the op1 extra cool. Of course, that line of thinking is sometimes used to explain away stupidly missing features like the push encoders not being used any where near there potential (ie. Simple Param rest FFS)…

Bottom line, I’m hopeful that the opz, is gonna be a chamj Gainger

The video aspect of the Op-Z was what had my attention back when I first heard about that thing. The problem is, it looks like it doesn’t really process video and seems tied to iOS / OSX devices. I don’t have anything that, just a Windows PC and a modest Linux box and besides which, I’m less and less inclined to lean on computers for music stuff with every passing day.

The integration with “smart” devices baffles me - but the exclusion of all such devices barring Apple, is bordering on the insane; it just screams “built in redundancy” to me.

I’ve been wanting to integrate video into my work for many years now, the LZX stuff formerly just seemed too complicated / expensive for me to seriously consider but, the LZX Vidiot is the perfect jumping off point for real time video synthesis under CV control. That’s why I ordered one - and in addition, I picked up a shonky old Videonics MX-1 mixer from eBay to compliment it. I’ll be bending the mixer and using for internal feedback. I’m reasonably sure the fader can easily be brought under CV control, so it’s going to be a total blast and will help attune the consciousness of any who dare bare witness to the waveforms yoshtoyoshto.

Am I right in thinking that the OP-Z can’t record the music (as in you can’t end up with a finished piece of music as per the OP-1)? The tape symbol appears to be an FX button from what I’ve seen in the Superbooth videos.

@Callofthevoid wow that’s sounds like instabuy for me. Thanks

@HelloOperator said:
The video aspect of the Op-Z was what had my attention back when I first heard about that thing. The problem is, it looks like it doesn’t really process video and seems tied to iOS / OSX devices. I don’t have anything that, just a Windows PC and a modest Linux box and besides which, I’m less and less inclined to lean on computers for music stuff with every passing day.

The integration with “smart” devices baffles me - but the exclusion of all such devices barring Apple, is bordering on the insane; it just screams “built in redundancy” to me.

I’ve been wanting to integrate video into my work for many years now, the LZX stuff formerly just seemed too complicated / expensive for me to seriously consider but, the LZX Vidiot is the perfect jumping off point for real time video synthesis under CV control. That’s why I ordered one - and in addition, I picked up a shonky old Videonics MX-1 mixer from eBay to compliment it. I’ll be bending the mixer and using for internal feedback. I’m reasonably sure the fader can easily be brought under CV control, so it’s going to be a total blast and will help attune the consciousness of any who dare bare witness to the waveforms yoshtoyoshto.

Vidiot looks amazing. Considering grabbing one too. Not cheap but seems like one of those purchases I could quite easily make pay for itself fast just from doing visuals for other people’s shows/videos… Could probably even rent it out to a few local promoters/venues.

@HelloOperator said:

The vidiot had me stoked at release, still haven’t made the jump, ended up getting a tachyons plus psychenizer instead. I’ve been examining the API that was put out for unity 3d in conjunction with the Op-z and I have to run some more tests but I think I found a work-around for the whole interactive, sequenced visuals on Windows/android (not the bring your own display part unfortunately no Op-z GUI)

@Mantastic0 said:

@HelloOperator said:

The vidiot had me stoked at release, still haven’t made the jump, ended up getting a tachyons plus psychenizer instead. I’ve been examining the API that was put out for unity 3d in conjunction with the Op-z and I have to run some more tests but I think I found a work-around for the whole interactive, sequenced visuals on Windows/android (not the bring your own display part unfortunately no Op-z GUI)

Can you enlighten us, please, oh wise one of unity? I’m very curious to hear more.

@Mantastic0 said:
I’ve been examining the API that was put out for unity 3d in conjunction with the Op-z and I have to run some more tests but I think I found a work-around for the whole interactive, sequenced visuals on Windows/android

How is the API? What sort of stuff are you testing?

@ludicrouSpeed said:

@Mantastic0 said:

@HelloOperator said:

Can you enlighten us, please, oh wise one of unity? I’m very curious to hear more.

@Polyoptics said:

@Mantastic0 said:
I’ve been examining the API that was put out for unity 3d in conjunction with the Op-z and I have to run some more tests but I think I found a work-around for the whole interactive, sequenced visuals on Windows/android

How is the API? What sort of stuff are you testing?

The idea is to see if we can compile our visuals, midi functionality and all into an .apk and load it onto an Android device for midi sequencing via Op-z. I just need to figure out if TE’s video lab extensions are compatible with that sort of thing.

We’re essentially turning our visuals into a “mobile video game” and your controller is midi

It really looks like the Op-z is just sending midi signals to the iPhone, which is hosting the unity scene file. All we’re doing is changing the scene’s compiled format to one we can run on Android

really cool video! Is there any demos of the OPZ out there that are perhaps a little less chip tune’y? I love Cuckoos stuff, but all the vids I’ve seen have that tight little PO digital flavour… Be awesome to hear some more ambient style vibes or beats on the OPZ.

I think TE has mislead its very very loyal fan base. I have never seen such a bunch of positive and loyal users as the ones on this forum, bravo you guys. TE said the OP-Z would be affordable way back, something between the OP-1 and the PO’s so that’s about 450 euro. Then people were shocked at the 600 euro price tag. Still the faithful stuck with TE. Now we hear that 600 euro is just the starting point of cost for this little machine. The hardware modules will not be cheap and there will be extra cost for synths/effects via the app store, yes you need a apple device for those until we are told otherwise. So there is a release date 30th July… not for you guys! for the select people who are able to be in New York at the right time. The pre order crew will have to wait, how long? Nobody’s knows… I wouldn’t say the OP-Z itself sucks but the way TE have gone about this SUCKS!

@manny said:
I think TE has mislead its very very loyal fan base. I have never seen such a bunch of positive and loyal users as the ones on this forum, bravo you guys. TE said the OP-Z would be affordable way back, something between the OP-1 and the PO’s so that’s about 450 euro. Then people were shocked at the 600 euro price tag. Still the faithful stuck with TE. Now we hear that 600 euro is just the starting point of cost for this little machine. The hardware modules will not be cheap and there will be extra cost for synths/effects via the app store, yes you need a apple device for those until we are told otherwise. So there is a release date 30th July… not for you guys! for the select people who are able to be in New York at the right time. The pre order crew will have to wait, how long? Nobody’s knows… I wouldn’t say the OP-Z itself sucks but the way TE have gone about this SUCKS!

If people are prepared to pay 19 euros for a tiny plastic crank (which i doubt costs more than 1 euro to make), then why not keep on screwin` them?