Is using presets cheating?

Ever heard of "Sleng Teng riddim" ?
We're not just talking about preset here, but a whole pattern :D
Plus I love stories like Hendrix bringing Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower" to such another level that the original became totally eclipsed...

IMO, music in its purest form aka the art of creating evolutions of air vibrations can't just be mixed with such thing as cheating.
Your own judgment prevails when it comes to consider if what you got just fits your need.

Brilliant read in my morning commute, thanks @LyingDalai

I’ve really enjoyed this discussion. The HADS post saw me in stitches!

In my opinion, using a sound that I have sculpted myself gives me a certain satisfaction that a preset doesn’t. I think that it all comes down to knowledge and the final idea. If I heard a preset, liked it, and knew instantly how it was made then that isn’t cheating, if presets were used due to lack of knowledge then there is no art to the craft. This subject topic also spreads across lyrics too. David Bowie would take 3-4 ideas and play with them using a common theme. Getting 10 love songs, finding the words you like and adding your own ideas to create a song is like finding a preset and making it your own.

From a Godseye perspective I’d rather watch somebody create a song with all settings at zero and whizz through a song with complete knowledge of their tools than somebody who used samples and presets.

Ever heard of "Sleng Teng riddim" ?
We're not just talking about preset here, but a whole pattern :D
Plus I love stories like Hendrix bringing Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower" to such another level that the original became totally eclipsed...

IMO, music in its purest form aka the art of creating evolutions of air vibrations can't just be mixed with such thing as cheating.
Your own judgment prevails when it comes to consider if what you got just fits your need.

Brilliant read in my morning commute, thanks @LyingDalai

I’ve really enjoyed this discussion. The HADS post saw me in stitches!

In my opinion, using a sound that I have sculpted myself gives me a certain satisfaction that a preset doesn’t. I think that it all comes down to knowledge and the final idea. If I heard a preset, liked it, and knew instantly how it was made then that isn’t cheating, if presets were used due to lack of knowledge then there is no art to the craft. This subject topic also spreads across lyrics too. David Bowie would take 3-4 ideas and play with them using a common theme. IMO getting 10 love songs, finding the words you like and adding your own ideas to create a song is like finding a preset and making it your own. That sounds like fun!

From a Godseye perspective I’d rather watch somebody create a song with all settings at zero and whizz through it with complete knowledge of their tools than somebody who used samples and presets.

Is using a guitar with a standard tuning cheating?

Because to me, it’s the same thing as a preset.

If you’re not using fuzz, you’re doing it wrong.

Then using an electronic instrument is cheating ?

- Cause filters and other components can be related to a kind of presets :slight_smile:
- Cause speakers could be considered as presets too !

In fact, we can say this for acoustics instruments too or every sounds we hear :D.

Anyway, we can go to the source (as we know it) and say Genoas are presets ! Atoms too ^^.

So I don’t think using presets is cheating…it depends on the way you use it and what you wanna do with it :slight_smile:

Have a good preset everybody

Then using an electronic instrument is cheating ?

- Cause filters and other components can be related to a kind of presets :)
- Cause speakers could be considered as presets too !

In fact, we can say this for acoustics instruments too or every sounds we hear :D.

Anyway, we can go to the source (as we know it) and say Genoas are presets ! Atoms too ^^.

So I don't think using presets is cheating...it depends on the way you use it and what you wanna do with it :)

Have a good preset everybody

That’s why I build my own synths, from now on !!

Man you seem to have had a hell of a night :smiley:

Because to me, it's the same thing as a preset.

You sound like you have already made up your mind, for me it’s a no! The guitars settings are at zero, it takes skill to make it sound good. A preset in a synth with effects that have already been setup means all a person has to do is hit a key to get a nice, well thought out, sound. And that’s the key - there is no thinking or tinkering involved.

That’s why I build my own synths, from now on !!

Man you seem to have had a hell of a night :smiley:

I really have to try this ! I’m taker of informations you’ve got about this :smiley:

You’re not wrong :smiley:

I already built a Shruthi-1. Pretty cool French DIY monosynth :slight_smile:

And I just received a package from Estonia this week (= last month) : a PreenFM2, French DIY incredible FM synth…

"This song is in the key of A major

Those notes are predefined and hackneyed and were made by the MAN, man

So I have to make it the key of 55Q and use microtones and notes you can’t even hear and record it all onto a turtle bone and OH NO MY IRONIC MOUSTACHE HAS OVERGROWN MY FACE ARRRRGH"

HADS

Cheating suggests that you’ll definitely sound better from using the presets, but it’s probably more difficult to do that. If anything, you’re adding to the challenge.

That person in the “Using Loops” story is missing out on some really cool field recordings of goats. XD

Is using your own patches which are now presets on the beta OS cheating? :wink:

Is using your own patches which are now presets on the beta OS cheating? ;)

Haha good one @sammyjams!!

This discussion thread is awesome.

Plus another 1 @sammyjams :slight_smile: and deffo agree @THSC .
Here’s my friends that make music with free junk from skips… fast forward to 3:20 for the music

USL on the X-Change for cbbc - YouTube

They had a preset shooter in the middle of the song!

PQh7bxu

We calls it the Hipster Authenticity Death Spiral

or HADS

this is so great.

Great question OP, great discussion everyone :slight_smile:

Is using your own patches which are now presets on the beta OS cheating? ;)

Lol!

What would happen if you used a sound in a track that then became a preset in a beta OS. Would this then make you a ‘preset user’???

I got a friend who was wondering…

That would be a pre-preset user…

You sound like you have already made up your mind, for me it’s a no! The guitars settings are at zero,

I would say that a guitar with settings at zero has no strings.

You sound like you have already made up your mind, for me it’s a no! The guitars settings are at zero,

I would say that a guitar with settings at zero has no strings.

Really nice offering - but surely a guitar without strings isn’t a guitar?