Is using presets cheating?

Play it with sticks :slight_smile:

A guitar with settings at zero would be an un-strung one with a huge selection of strings to choose from. If its pre-strung and tuned itā€™s a preset.

:slight_smile:

That would be a pre-preset user...

Oh crapā€¦Iā€™ll errrr, tell him, cheersā€¦

Is using a guitar with a standard tuning cheating?
Because to me, it's the same thing as a preset.

You sound like you have already made up your mind, for me itā€™s a no! The guitars settings are at zero,

I would say that a guitar with settings at zero has no strings.

Really nice offering - but surely a guitar without strings isnā€™t a guitar?

Thereā€™s always feedback.

Good thing with OP1 it takes a second to shape a preset to your trackā€¦
Unless of corse ,like me ,you may get lost for hours, re-exploring dsynth or element lfo.

I think with presets it depends on the context, particularly what you as a ā€˜producerā€™ are implying taking credit for when you put out a track.

I always feel that if you are making music and describing yourself as a ā€˜producerā€™ (aka, most electronic artists at the moment / anyone with a home studio or recording setup) then you are implying that you take credit for the quality of your production values and sound design, in addition to the musical content of the track. This is because (in my opinion) a lot of the value and quality we perceive in music, particularly electronic music, is currently based on the overall aesthetic of your recorded sound as much as the musical content. Being a producer is not just about how well you play your instrument(s), it is about how well you play your studio.

Consider it from the perspective of a non producer listening to your tracks. If you got some incredible orchestra sounds and made them into a track no one would think you recorded an orchestra, you dont even need to say that because its obvious you dont have the funds / opportunity / a big enough bedroom to record a 80 piece string section. If you get some incredible synth samples and use them in a track the situation is different as unless you say otherwise, it is assumed that you yourself made the synth sounds in your laptop box of musical wizardry.

If you make a track mostly using a bunch of great synth presets, a bunch of great percussion presets and some sweet vocal samples assembled in your own way then that is great and it will sound very professional. However as a ā€˜producerā€™ putting this out as an original track my expectation is that you are the creative originator of the sounds on the track. If this is not the case and the overriding aesthetic of your track is based on other peoples creative work then that is taking credit for something you did not do. Is this a problem? I guess it depends on your perspective, your track is still cool sounding and very professional, however you have essentially just done the musical equivalent of claiming to be an accomplished storyteller then reading from a ā€˜choose your own adventureā€™ bookā€¦

Check out the NI Mashine sample packs. Someone basically has curated a bunch of great sounds that are specifically designed to fit together and all you have to do is fit them together to make the track. Its like buying IKEA furniture, you just buy the pieces designed to fit together and fit them together yourself, configuring the shelves the way you like to fit the room. Once you do that it is not really fair to say to someone who never heard of IKEA, ā€˜Hey, look at these shelves that i lovingly crafted and designed all by myself, doesnā€™t they look professionalā€™.

It is all about context however. Consider an acoustic performer, no one ever told a solo piano player that they were not being authentic because they made a sound like a piano. The term ā€˜presetsā€™ to me imply electronics, and as soon as you are dealing with electronics then you are probably talking about production and being a producer which in turn implies a degree of responsibility and ownership to the quality of the recorded sound. Presets (and samples) can make great starting points and can lead to highly unique and original results i think but is it cheating? I guess it comes down to where you as a producer / artist feel you are taking the artistic credit.

Some samples for example are universal, 808 / 909 sounds and the amen break. Some preset sounds are also pretty classic (the difference between a preset TB303 acid line and one you lovingly handcrafted are pretty debatable). I have always felt that what matters is what context you use the presets in, and the implied credit you are taking in that context. Did you just start making music with your friends and have a super great jam using NI sample packs? That is f*cking original i think, you did it, made music you never made before, thats awesome. The first song i ever wrote was a near exact clone of ā€˜My Iron Lungā€™ by Radiohead. It is how we all learn. On the other hand, if you are a producer trying to be taken seriously as an authentic and creative artist then using mostly sounds, loops, samples that every other musician who has the same software / hardware that you do will immediately recognise is not going to get you very far.

Sorry, kind of a long ramble there with no definite conclusion :smiley: I guess the upshot is that in my opinion presets are great but come with a disclaimer that if you do use a particular preset as the main feature of your track and present it as something original then dont be upset if someone calls you out.

Itā€™s nice when a thread inspires a ramble.
I agree,it depends on how much fun you have .

@aswefallintostatic Nice insight mate :slight_smile:
Btw I just got a Moog : would you mind putting back on your Soundcloud your reel-to-reel sessions as none of my Slim Phatty presets were worth the sound you got from your Sub37 ? Your sound was full of emotion !

Short 4min Interview by Enoā€¦(so many to choose from).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQgqNfBwuac

@aswefallintostatic Nice insight mate :) Btw I just got a Moog : would you mind putting back on your Soundcloud your reel-to-reel sessions as none of my Slim Phatty presets were worth the sound you got from your Sub37 ? Your sound was full of emotion !
@LyingDalai Thanks man! I got asked to hide the tracks along with the OP1 beat tapes by my label as my soundcloud was a kind of confusing mess of lots of different music and we focussed it more onto just songwriting and remixes. I still have everything as private links though. Chances are it was one of these two tracks?

https://soundcloud.com/aswefallintostatic/reel-to-reel-tape-3-philae-moog-drum-machine-improvisation/s-pzbCE

https://soundcloud.com/aswefallintostatic/reel-to-reel-tape-24-reunion-tom-adams-variation/s-3rSrM

Drop me a pm if you fancy swapping tips on moog sound design :D

@LyingDalai Thanks man! I got asked to hide the tracks along with the OP1 beat tapes by my label as my soundcloud was a kind of confusing mess of lots of different music and we focussed it more onto just songwriting and remixes. I still have everything as private links though. Chances are it was one of these two tracks?

https://soundcloud.com/aswefallintostatic/reel-to-reel-tape-3-philae-moog-drum-machine-improvisation/s-pzbCE

https://soundcloud.com/aswefallintostatic/reel-to-reel-tape-24-reunion-tom-adams-variation/s-3rSrM

Thx friend. The tracks I particularly liked were 3 and 4, it's appeasers to listen to the first one again :) You might want to create a new soundcloud for your side experiments. I can't believe you were asked to hide such gems. Maybe your label know the job, but I don't share their POV... How come focusing only on one particular side of your work would be better ? Bandcamp OK, you need some coherence there... But Soundcloud ??!? Heresy ! About Moog sound design : the synth is rather simple, now that I have your sound in the ears I have a guide ;) But if you want to throw secrets, please feel free to tell me. Even there, you just have to call them presets :D
Short 4min Interview by Eno..(so many to choose from).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQgqNfBwuac

Wow I did't know the man... He seems so smart !! (I mean : I know what it produces, and even the inspiration card game, but never had watched him talk before...)

@LyingDalai - no particularly good tips i think. Use a good delay and opening the filter over 5k seems to sound great at the time but always feels like a mistake when i listen backā€¦

@aswefallintostatic Nice insight mate :) Btw I just got a Moog : would you mind putting back on your Soundcloud your reel-to-reel sessions as none of my Slim Phatty presets were worth the sound you got from your Sub37 ? Your sound was full of emotion !

These sound really nice. Is all the synth stuff sub 37?

Thanks @Callofthevoid - yes, its is all sub 37. The idea of the reel-to-reel series was to was to record live improvisations on the sub 37 and the Machinedrum and then edit them into track so its pretty much live with some arrangement edits and more reverb / mixing :smiley:

@<a href=ā€œhttps://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/profile/262/aswefallintostaticā€ class=ā€œUsernameā€ style=ā€œmargin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-weight: bold; font-size: 15px; font-family: ā€œlucida grandeā€, ā€œLucida Sans Unicodeā€, tahoma, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; text-decoration: none; color: rgb(66, 157, 168); line-height: 22.1px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);ā€>aswefallintostatic<span style=ā€œcolor: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: ā€œlucida grandeā€, ā€œLucida Sans Unicodeā€, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 22.1px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);ā€> Still listening to this again and againā€¦ Canā€™t believe such tracks can be left hidden !

http://soundcloud.com/aswefallinlovewithairvibrations is free btw :wink:

Thanks @Callofthevoid - yes, its is all sub 37. The idea of the reel-to-reel series was to was to record live improvisations on the sub 37 and the Machinedrum and then edit them into track so its pretty much live with some arrangement edits and more reverb / mixing :D

When I was deciding between sub37 and Analog Keys I didnā€™t catch any demos/videos that sounded like this and kept reading that the sub37 had a ā€˜modern aggressiveā€™ vibe. Donā€™t know if itā€™s partly the tape character but I probably would have grabbed the sub37 if Iā€™d heard this back then :confused: Really nice sounds/tracks :slight_smile:

@aswefallintostatic Still listening to this again and again... Can't believe such tracks can be left hidden !

http://soundcloud.com/aswefallinlovewithairvibrations is free btw ;)

Haha, thanks man! perhaps sometime in the future iā€™ll get a chance to work on some of this stuff more seriously, i would love to but not got the time to really do it justice yet!

@Callofthevoid -Thanks man, the tape if anything smooths over any aggressive sounds as it is a kind of warm saturator and compressor rolled into one. True Moog is pretty damn warm as a default, but it can get nasty due to the dual drive section. The workflow is super different to the Elektron though, i think that is a bigger difference between the two than the sound imo