It's a joke?

HI everybody,

I got my op-1 since one week, i was impressed by the machine. But yesterday i was playing when the screen turn into white gitches. All works fine but since i have no sreen/ Note the glitches changes when i switch between tape, synth, arpegiator etc… and under the glitches i see element of the normal sreen like level in tape, part of the sequancer…
Anyone have an idea?

I trie factory reset, and reinstall the os but nothing change.
I read lot of people that have different issues with the op-1, but never this one. It’s still under warranty, but it really dispoint me. They will replace it it’s like I have 80% to have an issue with another op-1.
I think to replace it for another stuff, because that not semms to be a serious product, as great as it is. Very sad because once you try it you want it. But i mean 950euro for something that broke up 1 week for no reason that not my i expect from an instrument…

Thanks

Buddy, it looks like you’re the only other person I’ve seen with this issue. See my vid of it https://youtu.be/cpbGBapn-9U

Currently working at getting this fixed. It’s been a pain. Let me know how you go with resolving it.

I try all the stuff end with no screen it’s not fun. I think the screen is dead, at the beginning i was thinking that is a os problem but definitely not.

So my shop send my new one soon or i take another stuff and believe me for that price I can buy great thinks like bar plus Analog synth.

You know yourself better than anyone else. If you will live in fear that it will break after the warranty, then it is probably best you buy something you feel comfortable with. I have had mine for 4 years now and haven’t had a single issue. But again, that won’t mean anything to you if your viewpoint has been tainted by getting one of the lemons.

Hmm, return for replacement as this is definitely a hardware issue and not normal, it looks like the connection to the LCD screen is not as it should be, I have seen similar issues with other gear before.

Yes you’re right. And it make me sad because i do great things with it during this week. For me the probleme is that it is microelectro so it can’t be easily repair it. And what to do if i had no warranty?

The fact is lot of people have problems like no charging batteries, dead notes, buzz sound, pop sound… it’s to common problems to me so, I think i will stop with The teennage engineering product.
I mean my mpc 1000 have problems after ours an hours of use and i understand it.

Darenager, yes i think too. Porbably the connexion between motherbord and screen. But did you notice the screen size is in reality bigger ? It goes under the 1234 buttons and the notes. Maybe that is the problem, because the buttons seems just on the screen.

You can still backup everything on your computer before sending it to TE !

Press Shift+COM then T3 and you should see the OP-1 as a USB disk.
Now backup every folder (album / tape / drums / synths) and you’ll be able to start from where you’re at currently once you get a working OP-1.

Let us know how it’s going :slight_smile:

@pluginlust -Do bear in mind that you see posts from people that have had various problems, but the many, many people that have a perfect working unit don’t post to say “mine always works great”!

Mine only had a defect in the internal mic. Was fixed under warranty. Got a temporary OP-1 while mine was fixed. After the mic issue, I never had issues what so ever. Love the instrument as much as the Intellijel Atlantis.

Would be a pity to disregard teenage engineering products altogether. I cant imagine life without them.

@pluginlust -Do bear in mind that you see posts from people that have had various problems, but the many, many people that have a perfect working unit don’t post to say “mine always works great”!

The business I own in Colombia, Audiotecna, is dealer for TE, Moog, Ortofon, Koma Elektronik, Ableton and Livid Instruments.

We are also the official service center for Moog.

What @sparky says is absolutely true, many of the products we sell last many years, and we have been able to service many of them during and after warranty

Many of our customers don’t have accounts at the forums, don’t post their gear in social networks, and don’t make music for a living. They just enjoy using them. Those are most of them

I’ve seen a similar thing happen with other OLED components, caused by a manufacturing defect in the OLED itself (missing or badly mounted resistor on the control circuitry on the OLED). This is something that a) should have been caught in QA of the manufacturer who supplied the component to TE, and b) should have been caught by TE’s QA, where they could have simply replaced the OLED for another. If it’s a cold solder, then it’s quite possible that the fault didn’t become apparent until after the unit shipped and was subjected to temperature changes or everyday physical movement. Ultimately the fault most likely lies with the manufacturer of the OLED, not TE, but maybe TE could do a ‘burn in’ test to check for such faults before shipping items to catch this sort of thing. They also have a responsibility to check the quality of their final builds – faulty components are to be expected, and not passed on to the consumer.

My 2 cents:

1. the OP-1 is a unique musical instrument that is always there to inspire me, to keep me going, etc.;
2. the OP-1 is an expensive musical instrument;
3. the OP.-1 is not a mass produced instrument;
4. the OP-1, as I see it, has had proportionally more annoying issues than, say, other ‘boutique’ or similarly unique products. Not a perfect analogy but still may be valid: the Nord Drum 2, of which I also own one, is also designed and built in Sweden and it kinda has the similar cult following the OP-1 has had since day one - I frequent both the Nord and OP1 forums and it seems there are more issues with the OP1. Not a fact, just an impression;
5. to this day I haven’t had any serious issues with my OP-1 - now, if, say, I’ll start having problems today it’s a BIG problem indeed because by now I’ve become totally dependent on this unit, musically speaking;
6. In case I’d had issues with my OP-1 right out of the box, just like @pluginlust (and others before him) had the other day, I’m sure I’d have gone furiously mad and would have probably returned it to TE demanding a full refund. Because it’s just not acceptable to ask nearly EUR 1000 for anything that breaks so easily.
7. The bottom line is that everyone is right; so is @pluginlust because… see nr.6., and so are we because… see nr. 5.

Cheers,
Gabor

<a href=“https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/profile/80/jooga1972” class=“Username” style=“margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-weight: bold; font-size: 15px; font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; text-decoration: none; color: rgb(66, 157, 168); background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>jooga1972<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”> you’re right.

<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>I call my shop, i’ll sent it back to them. I really think i want to be refund. If i want a new one i have to wait 1 month minimum.
<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>It’s very long. So i think buying an ehx 45000 and try the op-1 experiance later.
<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>Did anyone know if they will make it again during a couple of years or it is better to take it know?
<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>I also notice that i pay it 939 euro but it was a 720 euro 4 month sooner.
(Excuse me for my english it’s not my personal speaking)

I bought mine very cheap second hand, it’s still rock solid…
Maybe consider the second hand market !

I consider it. But why happened if with this problem and didn’t have a warranty?

The oled display is dead.
If it’s your screen what you will do?

So, I Send it back to the shop and demand a refund. I hesitate a moment but the thing is i’m not ok with the built quality of the product. Do you know the screen is bigger than it is? It go under the key…

Maybe in the future i will try again with a long long warranty.

So, I Send it back to the shop and demand a refund. I hesitate a moment but the thing is i'm not ok with the built quality of the product. Do you know the screen is bigger than it is? It go under the key...
Maybe in the future i will try again with a long long warranty.

Yeah the big screen is intentional. You clearly had a defective unit, can happen with any gear I suppose.