Just FYI OP-Z won't work with FIRST gen Korg Microkey 37 due to high 500mA power drain

Just dropping this here to help if someone else is one day trying to troubleshoot. I have a FIRST generation Korg Microkey 37, whenever it’s plugged into my OP-Z it works for a minute or so then the unit switches off. I catastrophised about battery, weirdness of different USBC-to-A cable specs, power-over-USBC settings in the OPZ, etc. Turns out it’s simpler than that. Microkeys in general have low current draw, <100mA, and the Microkey Air is a (the!) TE whitelisted external keyboard for direct connection over USB-C. But weirdly the first gen Microkeys (specifically the ones over 25 keys) have super high 500mA power drain, despite being the same in appearance, LEDs etc as the Microkeys that DO work. My teeth gnashing is over. You live and (slowly!) learn!

Did you try a powered usb hub?

I’m sure that would work. I just wanted - and will now make with another keyboard - a simple portable battery powered keyboard setup, two units one short cable!

1 Like

get microkey air. its completly wireless and batteries last a long time. not much price difference.