Kenton and Midi-sync with OP-1

Hi,

If I connect the OP-1 to a Kenton USB Host, then to a Kenton Midi Thru, and connect my other gear into the MIDI Thru (MPC-1000, Kaossilator3+, KaossPad3+, MicroKorg, Electribe2) would I be able to use the OP-1 as a host to sync everything?

Also been looking at the Motu MIDI Express XT, a lot more expensive than the Kenton Thru if that does the job, but maybe it would be useful down the road, especially if I want to add more hardware down the road/use my DAW’s clock to sync with etc.

Thanks.

Consider iConnect MIO4 : it’s a solid USB hub.

Consider iConnect MIO4 : it's a solid USB hub.

Looks interesting, would this negate the need for a Kenton USB Host to be used? Hurts my brain but I assume there would be a way I could get all 5 slave units connected into this thing. Thanks

I have a Kenton host and I’m able to slave my octatrack and two volcas together (more with Volca syn) no problem… I use op as the clock because I couldn’t keep tape in sync by using octatrack as main clock

With iConnect Mio4 or ICM4+ you can connect 4 devices through regular MIDI + 16 other machines through USB MIDI.
You set one device as master, all other as slaves and voilà!
You can of course send CCs.

iConnectMIDI4+ is the crossroads of my MIDI traffic!

I have a Kenton host and I'm able to slave my octatrack and two volcas together (more with Volca syn) no problem.... I use op as the clock because I couldn't keep tape in sync by using octatrack as main clock

The OT midi clock is a pain , always oscillate like 120.0 BPM to 119.9 BPM thats cause the tape offset , im thinking on use op1 as master also , but OT do all the program changes and i won’t lose that , y try to make the loop points when midi clock are more stable and if the tape start unsync I correct with the blue encoder in tape mode .

Yes you can use the kenton and hook up your other gear. There are always some minor issues with drift but is easy to work through. I use the op-1 as the master into a drum machine (as my clock) out to a midi splitter to other gear. That way I don’t have to worry about any other midi issues other than syncing. If I want to use the op-1 to control another synth, iIcan hook directly from the kenton midi out to that synth.

from my research here, if you’re looking for all your gear to stay in sync, budget for a dedicated clock.