Launchpad Pro MK3 compatibility with OP-1& OP-Z?

Does anyone know if the Launchpad Pro MK3 can be used to input notes into the OP-1 or OP-Z? Primarily interested in using the scale and chord functionality on the Launchpad to program and play things in key on those devices.

I can only speak to op-z since I don’t have an op-1 but it does work with op-z with some caveats.

The op-z doesn’t supply enough power to the LPP to be able to turn it on, it just endlessly tries to boot. So you either have to power the launchpad separately via usb and use the 1/8 inch midi connections to an op-lab module OR get a split usb-c cable like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XB4K4XC/ref=cm_sw_r_oth_api_glt_fabc_YR72GGRYQGTD4CWS94TA

Honestly, I really wish the launchpads either had internal batteries or two USB ports for this exact reason.

2 Likes

I have just discovered this problem with the launchpad pro mk3.

It’s very annoying because you can turn down the LEDs and power consumption on the device, to the point where it would definitely work fine with the power from the OPZ, but when you do, the power up animation that serves no purpose is still on full beam.

I am confident it would work on lower power LED settings if the boot didn’t always have high power LEDs because the Launchpad X works fine on USB power with OPZ.

(But it doesn’t work as a controller, I think because of the weird thing with LPX presenting as two devices on USB, one midi, one specific for ableton, and the OPZ apparently opts for the Ableton one, unhelpfully!).

have u tried writing to novation? or using their support portal
they were like crazy responsive when i had a suggestion for the circuit
then like a couple weeks later they sent me a new firmware w/ the fix in there
i was pretty dumbfounded to say the least

it may not actually result in some meaningful change
maybe i was just lucky :shrug:
but talking about it on a forum is even less likely than trying to engage directly

1 Like

Yep emailed them straight after I posted here!

2 Likes

nice! fingers crossed :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyone tried the LPP with the OP-1 Field powerwise?

LPP mk3 worked fine with the OP-1 Field when I tested it.

3 Likes

I am curious now. I have a few hubs that work with the op-z quite nice. See if I can get a workaround for this.

So what functions from the op 1 f can you control ?