Lazy Works Kit // OP-1 Drum Kit

I made a drum kit by thumping on my desk, snapping fingers, recording feedback, and whatever else. All sounds were then processed with effects.

This is the kind of thing you can make with an OP-1 no matter where you are as long as you have a surface to place it on (and a speaker loud enough to feed back into the mic in this case.) I feel like this is a big part of the spirit of the OP-1,

These sounds are a little thin, for example for kick and snare sounds you will probably want to layer some other sounds to get something meaty out of it. It works fairly well. There is an octave of C-minor blues notes starting on key A-4 (skipping A#4) through E-5. I have offset it however, so the C-5 key is the tonic. That might seem a bit weird, but I like some room around the tonic and that’s all I had room for. The fact that it’s in C is a complete coincidence. I picked it because that’s where the sample sounded nicest for the range.

Punch is enabled. You might want to see what it sounds like without it. Some of the sounds come out a little better but most benefit from it.

Finally—a tip! If you lift a drum sample and drop it to tape, you can modify the audio on the tape (be careful not to mess up the noise before the samples start!) I used this to record silence over the kit I had loaded before, since this kit doesn’t fill the whole range. After that: lift from tape, drop into the drum slot. Done. You can try this with effects too, but watch out for delay/verb tails crossing the boundary between individual hits.

Edit: this is also available at https://soundcloud.com/smosher/lazy-works-kit

Enjoy!

@anomalous its an empty folder!

@Etche, I bet you have some trouble with OP-1 presets :wink:

Unzip then drop the file “lazy works kit.aif” into a preset folder. Ask for help in a dedicated thread if you’re having trouble with this.

And btw… Thank you for unearthing old presets !!
^^