Live looping

Hi, I’m thinking about getting an op-1, I’ve been looking at it and wondering whether I can use it as a simple live looper for guitar…
If I had it recording a loop to tape, then it’s always overdubbing (replacing) right? So could I play until I was happy with what I just played then hit record to come out of overdub and into play mode without stopping the loop?

Thanks for your time people

B

This use-case wouldn’t feature anywhere in my list of purposes for an OP-1. I’d be inclined to buy a purpose built pedal for simply, robustly and reliably looping a guitar in a live performance.

You’re equating overdubbing and replacing. However, they are the opposite to one another. Replacing is what I think you want. The OP-1, on the other hand, will overdub your new loop on the previous one. You’d need to lift the previous one first, and that’s not what you want. You don’t want to be fiddling with this whilst trying to play a guitar.

And quite apart from all this, there’s the impact on your guitar signal path…

CB

Ah ok so it’s default behaviour in tape mode when looping is to overdub?
Thanks for the info…
B

Eventually if TE fleshes out the midi controls the op1 would be a great looper. Currently it is not a good live looper. Great for building tracks though.

Mmmmmmmmight get one anyway!

I agree with the others. I’d buy a pedal designed for the job of looping rather than using an OP-1 especially if you’re going to be doing this looping live at gigs.

OP-1 might suit your needs though if your just sitting and jamming at home.

I love my RC-505.

http://www.boss.info/products/rc-505/

Ios is a great live looper!

Ios is a great live looper!

I find Loopy to be pretty unintuitive. Can you recommend something better on iOS?

I’ve been Meaning to try loop tree. Loopy is 100% unintuitive but is also has every feature you could ever want buried in it and great midi support. The developer for loopy is hard at work on a new looping app.

Eventually if TE fleshes out the midi controls the op1 would be a great looper. Currently it is not a good live looper. Great for building tracks though.

Yeah, lots of potential there if the tape transport controls could be controlled externally. Using an expression pedal to manual ‘scrub’ backward and forward through a loop would be epic!

For a good guitar looper, a second-hand EHX 2880 might be a good bet. Nice intuitive controls, and MIDI (I’ve read of people complaining about it not always staying in sync, but I haven’t had any issues like that with mine).

I've been Meaning to try loop tree. Loopy is 100% unintuitive but is also has every feature you could ever want buried in it and great midi support. The developer for loopy is hard at work on a new looping app.

What’s Loop Tree?

Yeah. Loopy Masterpiece Edition. Looks amazing.

I’ve been looking at Everest looper on ios, I like the simple UI and midi spec is really clear and straightforward. Still not convinced about using software looper live though…

For a good guitar looper, a second-hand EHX 2880 might be a good bet. Nice intuitive controls, and MIDI (I've read of people complaining about it not always staying in sync, but I haven't had any issues like that with mine).

I’m searching for a looper like the ehx 2880, but hard to find :confused: