Loading Samples/Sounds on OPZ

So ive been trying to build sample packs using op1 drum utility and for some reason, alot of my samples will load into the slots on the drum utility but will not show the time of the sample nor will it play back the sample when i click the keys. I’m also having an issue when adding synth sounds. I tried to add a piano sound to the lead track and it doesn’t come up when i boot up my opz, and neither does it end up in the rejected folder. Could anyone help?

Sounds like you’re using a format the OP1 Drum Utility doesn’t understand. Maybe my sampling guide will help: http://gerotakke.de/op-z-sample/op-z-samples.md.html (although slightly outdated)

1 Like

@gero_ Thanks! will comment again later to give you an update on the situation.

@gero_ said:
Sounds like you’re using a format the OP1 Drum Utility doesn’t understand. Maybe my sampling guide will help: http://gerotakke.de/op-z-sample/op-z-samples.md.html (although slightly outdated)

So the issue was definitely my format. Alot of my samples were 24bit so i will be spending the next couple of hours converting them to 16 :smiley: thanks so much!

get a batch converter program and it will take u like 30 seconds to do all your files
i use switch for OS X its free.

1 Like

wish i would have read this sooner. took me like 5hrs lol. next time though, thanks!

I’m a former OP-1 owner and will get my OP-Z tomorrow.
I already read gero_'s help cheat but still have a couple of questions about importing samples.

So how would you guys import a drumloop? Loop it in my daw and cut it exactly after 6 seconds and then put it into a synth slot of the op drum utility to create an aif file?
And what about drum hits? I understand they should already have the right levels because you can’t change the level of a single sample. Is that right?

1 Like

@kable said:
I’m a former OP-1 owner and will get my OP-Z tomorrow.
I already read gero_'s help cheat but still have a couple of questions about importing samples.

So how would you guys import a drumloop? Loop it in my daw and cut it exactly after 6 seconds and then put it into a synth slot of the op drum utility to create an aif file?
And what about drum hits? I understand they should already have the right levels because you can’t change the level of a single sample. Is that right?

I haven’t yet tried sampling drum loops but the synth idea sounds interesting and could work. Just keep in mind that the ADSR thats on every synth track seems to default to a very fast attack and short decay and release as well so you’ll probably have to mess with that before u can hear the whole section of the loop. but id say also try the drum utility and see which one works out better. i’ll be trying both as well when i get around to sampling some loops. drum hits are pretty simple. and gero’s guide explains all u need to know about it. adjusting the levels needs to be done before importing into the drum utility. i used ableton

Thank you very much!

I’m on the latest opz firmware. For some reason I can’t seem to load samples created from the Drum utility. I delete the sample and make sure to empty the trashcan. I then place the sample created from Drum Utility into the empty folder. I eject the opz and let it reboot and now the slot where I added the sample is unlit. I go back to content mode and look in the folder and it’s now empty. I go to the rejected folder and nothing is there. Not even the op1.fun drum packs work. Does anybody have an issue like this?

Are you first ejecting the Z after loading samples then pulling the plug from the Z following? That is the only way i can get sounds to stay on the machine.

I do eject the OP-Z after loading samples and then of course the unit auto reboots but I’ve kept the OP-Z plugged in each time. It would be strange that one would need to immediately unplug the OP-Z when ejecting. I guess I’ll try that if it happens again. I had to do a factory reset and it works as it should now but this is the second time this has happened. I think there is an issue when recording samples in headset mode since that’s the only thing that I’ve done differently than before. It corrupts the OP-Z sample slots somehow and then the only way to change samples is with the OP-Z configurator app but even then you can only copy what’s already there.

Ok, nevermind. This doesn’t really work. This thing is still buggy as hell ! I really want to give up and burn this thing.

Here’s a video that walk through this process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=924JEBE6CK0