Maintaining tape slices when importing to Logic?

@Unflattered said:
It might be nice if TE had ONE SINGLE tech guy monitoring forums and Twitter to give clear and up-to-date answers to customers.

Small teams that make $40-$60 dollar video games have someone listening for comments, suggestions and bug reports.

If they can do it, why can’t the company that sells thousands of $900+ pieces of boutique hardware do that much?
I agree.

i get what u saying but tbh tho this right here is a pretty niche request.
like how many ppl would actually benefit from an app like this?
how many DAWs, etc actually read .aiff markers? seems pretty limited in scope

@docshermsticks said:
i get what u saying but tbh tho this right here is a pretty niche request.
like how many ppl would actually benefit from an app like this?
how many DAWs, etc actually read .aiff markers? seems pretty limited in scope

A) everyone that uses an OP-1 would benefit. Especially w/ multiple BPMs on the same tape.

B ) Logic does, for starters. I’d say Most Pro-grade DAW’s would.

I don’t think you thought out this reply very well. Ask ANY power OP-1 user if they think it’s not beneficial.

i was legitimately asking questions. maybe u shouldn’t jump to conclusions so quickly

i get A that is a good point, but still not everyone uses multiple BPMs or exports their .aiff files via disk mode
so saying everyone would benefit is a bit of a stretch. u are generalizing much in your responses.

as for B, u give me 1 example Logic, and then say most others would.
my question is which ones actually do. not which ones u assume would do this.
those are 2 very different things.

anyway i’m not trying to argue w/ u. was just posting thoughts/ thinking out loud.
so far i’m the only one in this thread posing possible solutions to creating something like this

@docshermsticks said:
whoa buddy i was legitimately asking questions. maybe u shouldn’t jump to conclusions so quickly

i get A that is a good point, but still not everyone uses multiple BPMs or uses the tape like u are saying
so saying everyone would benefit is a bit of a stretch. u are generalizing much in your responses.

as for B, u give me 1 example Logic, and then say most others would.
my question is which ones actually do. not which ones u think would do this.
those are 2 very different things.

anyway i’m not trying to argue w/ u. was just posting thoughts/ thinking out loud.
so far i’m the only one in this thread posing possible solutions to creating something like this

“not everyone uses multiple BPM’s”?

Then I’d say they’re not really making music with their OP-1. That’s absurd.

And what difference would it make which DAWs use them? We’re talking about the OP-1, their proprietary marker code, and how typical DAWS won’t read TE’s markers. Hence, the need for an app that does it.

No matter how you slice it (pun intended), I’d hardly call the ability to export loops into desktop software for post production a “niche request”.

For any serious musician, I’d say it’s practically a must.

take it easy man. theres no need to jump down my throat.

not everyone uses multiple BPMs on one 6 minutes of tape is what i meant.
u could for instance, make one song per tape and start fresh each time.
or make many small songs w/ the same BPM then start over w/ a new BPM

saying their not really making music b/c of the BPM they are using is more absurd to me.
BPM is not the defining factor of music or what makes a “serious musician”
there are many different ways to use different BPMs w/ the OP1 and the tape

and not everyone exports their tape via disk mode to work further in a DAW

which DAWs use the marker info in an .aiff matters because isn’t that the whole point of this?
if the DAW doesn’t recognize the standard marker info in an .aiff no matter what, then whats the purpose of translating the TE protocol to the standard protocol? it wouldn’t work even if someone was able to translate TE’s method to the standard method

if only Logic recognizes them lets say. then this narrows it down to only ppl who use Logic.

to quote yourself

@Unflattered said:
Just an app that could convert the whole 6 min wavs to duplicate wavs w/ markers readable by major DAWs. That would be great.

@docshermsticks said:
take it easy man. theres no need to jump down my throat.

not everyone uses multiple BPMs on one 6 minutes of tape is what i meant.
u could for instance, make one song per tape and start fresh each time.
or make many small songs w/ the same BPM.

saying their not really making music b/c of the BPM they are using is more absurd to me.
BPM is not the defining factor of music or what makes a “serious musician”

which DAWs use the marker info in an .aiff matters because isn’t that the whole point of this?
if the DAW doesn’t recognize markers in an .aiff no matter what, then whats the purpose of translating the TE protocol to the standard protocol?

if only Logic recognizes them lets say. then this narrows it down to only ppl who use Logic.

to quote yourself

@Unflattered said:
Just an app that could convert the whole 6 min wavs to duplicate wavs w/ markers readable by major DAWs. That would be great.

The purpose is for the app to do the marking and splitting, so we may then import the 4 tracks into a standard DAW, and work with them. What’s so hard to figure?

I’m not jumping down your throat; you’re practically opening your mouth and forcing me down.

OK… that sounded weird.

In any case, it’s futile to go around and around on this. I say leave it to the community. I guarantee you the lion’s share of users change BPM multiple times across the 6 min. of tape, considering that the OP-1 is honestly geared toward loop-based production, with most users having 4-6 different songs working across the 6 min. of tape. And I highly doubt anyone is sticking w/ one BPM, throughout.

Personally I wouldn’t use the app, it wouldn’t benefit me. I leave a tiny section inbetween each song or loop & I say the bpm (just spit it in the mic directly to tape, it takes 1 second). That way I know quickly what the bpm is for each loop/song on the tape. So keeping the markers when transferring to a computer wouldn’t do anything for me since I have that space in-between with the bpm. You should try it out, it works out well.

& if I didn’t? Well I would know when the next loop started as I would hear it. I’m used to limited gear tho, I actually love limited gear. Makes me feel like I’m actually doing something.

I look at it as: This is what is offered. Accept it or go elsewhere.

When it comes to TE dropping up to date info in forums; there is a manual, a guide, youtube videos, the forum itself…so much info out there already. Besides part of the joy for me is finding things out myself & “solving the puzzle”. The Op-1 has so many work arounds & ways to do things I love finding my own way.

It wouldn’t hurt if they released an app that allowed you to keep markers & if someone from TE jumped on forums to give up to date info to people like you for example.

Just thought I would throw out a few work arounds that will help you since there ISN’T an app :slight_smile:

If you are using different bpm’s you will already have a gap inbetween each loop or song. An app with markers would only save a small amount of time…like really small… especially if your DAW of choice allows you to see the waveforms.

I think putting the bpm right before each loop/song (like I suggested above) would save you a lot more time then an app that allows you to keep markers. Think about all the time you waste trying to figure out the bpm. Seriously try it out. It saves time inside the Op-1 & when splitting the tracks out in a DAW. You’ll know where the loops end/start by looking at the waveforms & you’ll know the bpm by listening to the beginning of each loop/song.

@Sharris said:
Personally I wouldn’t use the app, it wouldn’t benefit me. I leave a tiny section inbetween each song or loop & I say the bpm (just spit it in the mic directly to tape, it takes 1 second). That way I know quickly what the bpm is for each loop/song on the tape. So keeping the markers when transferring to a computer wouldn’t do anything for me since I have that space in-between with the bpm. You should try it out, it works out well.

& if I didn’t? Well I would know when the next loop started as I would hear it. I’m used to limited gear tho, I actually love limited gear. Makes me feel like I’m actually doing something.

I look at it as: This is what is offered. Accept it or go elsewhere.

When it comes to TE dropping up to date info in forums; there is a manual, a guide, youtube videos, the forum itself…so much info out there already. Besides part of the joy for me is finding things out myself & “solving the puzzle”. The Op-1 has so many work arounds & ways to do things I love finding my own way.

It wouldn’t hurt if they released an app that allowed you to keep markers & if someone from TE jumped on forums to give up to date info to people like you for example.

Just thought I would throw out a few work arounds that will help you since there ISN’T an app :slight_smile:

There kinda isn’t an “elsewhere”, to be honest; nothing really compares to the OP-1.

But if markers could be read, you could then simply split at markers, and drag perfectly trimmed loops out, and then into your favorite DAW.

That would save a ton of time, eliminate the possibility of re-trimming errors, and allow you to seamlessly go from the OP-1 into DAW for remixing and mastering.

Lastly, the OP1.fun website designer seems to have nailed the exported loop splitting on the site, so it’s not like cracking an enigma machine. Should be fairly straightforward.

Y’all seen Blezz beats simple bpm hack? He just says the bpm on the tape before each song/jam… Such a simple method, but now I’m finding it works perfect… The last piece of the puzzle was realising that if I line the start of the tape up to the correct BPM on a grid then when I get to my loops I can just slice on the grid. So in light of this implementing the slice / marker I don’t think is really that useful. God bless @blezz

@Unflattered said:
There kinda isn’t an “elsewhere”, to be honest; nothing really compares to the OP-1.
Lastly, the OP1.fun website designer seems to have nailed the exported loop splitting on
the site, so it’s not like cracking an enigma machine. Should be fairly straightforward.

Yea I haven’t found anything else out there like it either, I’m thankful it’s available.

There are so many work arounds for this thing it’s crazy. I’m not saying it does, but if it REALLY bothers you that there isn’t a “split marker” app, suggestions:

1. I don’t know anything about making computer apps, but if you think it’s straight forward, just make it yourself. Then you can make it exactly how you want it.

2. Change up your workflow. Like docshermsticks suggested, only make a few beats on the Op-1. You say it’s geared towards loop based production, but you have to arrange the loops somewhere & it’s easy as fuck to arrange in the Op-1. Get those Op-1 ninja skills! Copy your loop based productions & make changes to them in the Op-1. You don’t have to make the full beats in the Op-1, but making longer “loops” you will have less “re-trimming errors” in your DAW.

3. Dump your tape into your DAW every night instead of when the tape fills up. Less loops to worry about.

4. Use the bpm trick. It really is helpful, you’ll save time while working in the Op-1 & while working in your DAW.

This is all I got off the top of my head.

Yea, Blezz, that’s where I heard that bpm tape trick. Check out his YouTube videos for those that haven’t seen him, he’s got some tips & tricks worth hearin. About Maschine mk3 as well

@Sharris said:

@Unflattered said:
Lastly, the OP1.fun website designer seems to have nailed the exported loop splitting on
the site, so it’s not like cracking an enigma machine. Should be fairly straightforward.

Yea I haven’t found anything else out there like it either, I’m thankful it’s available.

There are so many work arounds for this thing it’s crazy. I’m not saying it does, but if it REALLY bothers you that there isn’t a “split marker” app, suggestions:

1. I don’t know anything about making computer apps, but if you think it’s straight forward, just make it yourself. Then you can make it exactly how you want it.

2. Change up your workflow. Like docshermsticks suggested, only make a few beats on the Op-1. You say it’s geared towards loop based production, but you have to arrange the loops somewhere & it’s easy as fuck to arrange in the Op-1. Get those Op-1 ninja skills! Copy your loop based productions & make changes to them in the Op-1. You don’t have to make the full beats in the Op-1, but making longer “loops” you will have less “re-trimming errors” in your DAW.

3. Dump your tape into your DAW every night instead of when the tape fills up. Less loops to worry about.

4. Use the bpm trick. It really is helpful, you’ll save time while working in the Op-1 & while working in your DAW.

This is all I got off the top of my head.

My workflow is down.

Please peruse.

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/ringofthenibblefunk/?hl=en

Then again, I’m not here to crow for answers that don’t exist. My original topic was really kinda just a “wouldn’t it be cool” scenario. I know the tricks. It occurred to me to use the voice trick, years ago. It just strikes me that it was kinda a glaring omission to not incorporate industry-standard AIFF markers.

Sorry, just used to suggesting workarounds when people get frustrated with non existent features… If a tool is available cool, but if it’s not, I use what’s available & try to point others to what’s available… I enjoy trouble shooting. & you kind of went off about bpm’s like it affected the loop slicing, so I assumed you didn’t know the trick. But I shouldn’t assume & you didn’t ask for suggestions.

Hopefully it’ll help someone else readin this :slight_smile:

& I get it, it would make things quicker. Give you more time to make music. So hopefully it becomes a reality for you

Back in early op-1 days, there was an application called Wave Editor for mac that used and supported standard aif regions/markers.
…but, as both Logic and Pro-Tools uses the proprietary ‘REGN’ chunks for .aif op-1 supports those instead as it’s possible to export regions from for instance logic → op-1 with the slices preserved (not sure if this has changed since logic 8 though :slight_smile:

(related: another great thing with WaveEditor is that they made a patch to avoid removing the json chunks for the drum-sampler parameters. too bad that sw doesn’t exist anymore)