Metal backplate?

I just sent my Z in as the warranty is almost up and I have all the issues: double trigs, encoders popping out, and my unit us extremely bowed.

I’m wondering if getting a metal backplate made would improve structural integrity and keep the new one they (hopefully) send me from turning into a banana. Has anyone else thought of this or looked into it?

seems like a worth while try, assuming you can get a custom thin metal plate made for you.
Are you thinking of getting rid of the opz? Just curious because i think i am still within the return period and with all these problems folks are having it seems like i may want to bail (even though i love the device). Do you mostly use the OPZ by itself? my unit isn’t bowing yet but i almost always have a midi keyboard connected so i rarely use the trig buttons

1 Like

Yeah… I might try it out. I do want to keep it. Although it sucks that it is not built like it should be, I love making music with it. I pretty much use it by itself, and when I’m not using it, it’s in a hard shell case. But yeah, I think repeatedly applying pressure to the keys must be causing the whole thing to bend. I wonder if it would help if I just took the screws out of the back so it would lay flat rather than have room to bend…

Instead of removing the screws I would rather add two rubberfeet to the middle of the backplate to prevent bending. I think the height of the screws might be quite common for some standard flat rubber feet.

Oh that’s a great idea!

I would love CNC the entire case. But that would require the drawings from teenage engineering. Anyone have ever tried to bend it back into shape?

Even if you could create a metal body, you would need to come up with some solution to attach the keyboard to it, since the original case uses melted plastic poles for that, not screws.

1 Like

That plastic is very strong. The bending problem is caused by manufacturing process I believe. Maybe it is not cooled properly once it’s taken out from machine or something… Actually, I was thinking about making just a metal back plate for OP-Z, just to make it more stiff.

2 Likes

i agree i do not think the bending is from pressing buttons, Mine is already bending after 2 months and i almost always use a midi keyboard with live record ie. i hardly ever press the opz buttons them selves.
I’ve also never left it in a hot car or anything like that. It has to be a manufacturing defect, which is a real shame. For us and TE because we are pissed about the money we spent and TE is pissed about the money they loose in warranty and lost sales/bad rep.

Oh damn, I didn’t even think about that. I wonder if the strength of the metal would help it resist its tendency to warp, or if it’s just destined to do so eventually. I’m obviously not a materials guy :slight_smile:

i imagine some kind of metal, either 1/8 or 1/4 inch steel maybe, could be used as some sort of back plate, and the opz fastened to it with some metal brackets. This might even give the Z more heft :thinking:

I returned my OP-Z because it was bent. Unlike many others, mine came bent out of the box, noticed it after using it for like 5 sec. it’s a shame because the Z is a great device.

I’m thinking some spare feet and drilling the stock backplate might do the trick. My Z bowes from old age, haha.

I just thought the same idea and came here to check if someone had tried it.

Doing some research, found this service ( https://sendcutsend.com/ ) that does laser cutting on a big range of metals. This aluminum one seams rock solid (and hopefully light enough). Custom Laser-Cut 2024 Aluminum - sendcutsend.com

Wonder if someone had took the time to convert the measurements of profile and holes places. Also think in an elegant solution for the Bluetooth button.

1 Like