Mic options for Vocoder

Which mic are you using for your OP vocoder?

My headphone/headset mic works great but I can’t jam with others live because the audio output is going into my headphones (obvi).

When I plug in a regular dynamic mic it doesn’t seem give it enough signal to engage the vocoder even tho it records plain vox to tape no problem.

My zoom h4 works pretty good too but in a jamming situation that’s too sensitive.

So what’s the ideal mic for the OP-1’s vocoder in a loud(ish) jamming environment?

Please share your findings !!

the M1 Headset is great and can be re-routed with its audio thru

I tried an iPhone headset, not that great. Had best results so far (shown in the video I uploaded) with the use of the internal mic and my normal in ear Sennheiser earphones. Whatever you use has to be a line level input so if you want to use a dynamic mic you’ll have to run it through a preamp first. Remeber OP-1 Field supports some USB audio devices, so consider using your Zoom H4 since you have it but plug your dynamic mic into it instead.

2 Likes

How about the Tula microphone? I bet that would work nice.

3 Likes

Op-z works great as an usb mic.

1 Like

Yes!! Zoom H4 as the pre amp can’t believe i didn’t think of that. Also been using a lapel mic for that hands free vibe and i’m singing in harmony where ever i please. very nice.

Would you add a link here to the video you uploaded @darwiniandude ?

1 Like

I’m using an old Sony ECM-MS907 I picked up on eBay for about $45. Some folks say they’re kind of noisy — but do you care running it through the vocoder? I don’t.

1 Like

maybe this one?
https://teenage.engineering/store/cm-15

3 Likes

I was about to ask that a few days ago, but a YouTuber completely predicted the CM-15 based of the Tula mic. :expressionless: :face_with_diagonal_mouth: :money_mouth_face:

1 Like

Has anyone played with wireless 2-way mics? I wonder how well they’d work as a vocoder mic?

This one plugs USB-C and apparently you can record a Streo pair and a back up recording on the device itself I think.

1 Like

I can confirm thay the Tula mic works well with the vocoder!

2 Likes

I second the Tula mic with a variety of sources for the op1f. Direct vocals, guitars, sampling, vocoder, etc. And their support team is great too.
It’s a sensible little mic - not at all on par with TE’s proposals. But as a go-to cheaper alternative, it’s as good as it gets.