Midi Output from Reaper to OP-1

I have connected my OP-1 with the USB cable to my computer. I can find it as a MIDI device in Reaper and select it for output (and input) in the preferences, and I can set up a MIDI track, add some notes to it and select it to send to the midi channel that I have set on the OP-1, but that’s it. Nothing else happens. At this point, I would hope for sound to be output from the OP-1, but since I’m not able to set it into synth mode and MIDI connection mode at the same time, perhaps that doesn’t work without some workaround?

Is there a way to trigger music on the OP-1 via MIDI? I am sure I’ve heard it mentioned before, but not seen how to actually do it.

r u referring to the midi connection screen on the shift+com menu?

if so, you don’t need to stay on this screen. it is for setting the midi channel only, and the other midi is for i think using the op1 as a midi controller to control something else.

however, in normal operation, op1 will still receive and send midi on the midi channel you set on the shift+com screen.

hope that helps

@docshermsticks Thanks. I thought I had to stay on the Com page to stay connected. I didn’t realise that I could go back to OP-1 mode from there and then use it. It works the way I was hoping now. =)

Although I am sure it would be fun doing it manually on the OP-1, my thought was connecting it this way will make a nice and simple way to transfer chord progressions and ideas from my computer to the OP-1 so I can do further work on them there.

Oh, and is there a way to sync playing MIDI from computer to OP-1 so that it starts recording upon receiving MIDI? Not that it is hard to adjust afterwards. Or to count in and get it pretty much spot on.

Oh, and is there a way to sync playing MIDI from computer to OP-1 so that it starts recording upon receiving MIDI? Not that it is hard to adjust afterwards.

No. It wants you to press Rec on the OP1. If you then not press Stop also on the OP1 (= press stop on the daw) it will lose track of what it just recorded, producing ghost recordings without indicating takes.

@eesn Thanks. I sort of figured that after trying it a bit.