Most recommended 2nd instrument for op1

This just nails with details the electriba

Haha that video is pretty awesome.

True, the Elektron gear in general is pretty deep. I really like their concept but I’m a bit less impressed by the sounds I’ve heard so far. They all seem to be tailored towards IDM/electronica. Maybe I’m wrong though, and they can do much more.

1 Like

Hahah that review was amazing @thor! I also enjoyed the one he made on the Kraftwork Moog CZ-1 :smiley:

i can stop laughing with him

So hard to beat the ipad mini.

I recently got the bs-16i app and loaded all my EMU soundfonts…proteus, planet phatt, etc…

insane!

Hi Thor,now ive took a look at the review electriba,heidewitzka Herr Kapitän,this is funny stuff

karma_koma i have the same problem with you, from the moment i took my OP-1 (2 years ago) i have sold my phatty ,2 evolver.MEK,blofeld ,tenori, minibrute , and a lot others as i use so much my OP-1 that i cannot find a right compliment synth to deal with its : portability- inovation -simplicity >bullseye. damn . as for the electribe i was watching it really closely on every single clip BUT really i am not convinced (5 YEARS AGO I TOOK THE PREVIOUS ELECTRIBE THE BLUE AND RETURNED IT BACK AS I FOUND IT WAS RUBBISH REALLY ) . so if you use OP1 as main instrument like i do you really need to test AND TEST NOT BUY YET as our operator its exquisitly selfcontained

iPad with Korg Gadget App and a little pressure sensitive portable keyboard like the Qunexus or K-board from Keith Mcmillen Instruments.

You’ve then got the best little portable studio :wink:

Like Master said the iPad is endless in its possibilities whether you use it as a sampler, daw, fx, synths, sequencer, midi controller, daw controller … Or even checking your email!

My suggestion would easily fit in the space available :wink:

It will also leave you space to get a shruthi in the future!

Micro korg is decent, I had ones years ago when they were first released. It wouldn’t grab my attention these days though not in this high tech marketplace. It’s also something that to get the most out of you probably have to be a decent keyboard player.

I really, really wish they still made the Akimba.

You know T-Roll brings up some very useful tips in his YouTube review of the new Electriba Toe. A lot of these parameters should be heavily marketed. Korg definetly breezed over them!

So yes, using the Electriba’s underside LEDs are certainly great for reading lights, but I take it to the next level, using the Electriba on the hood or trunk of your car, makes for a perfect emergency/roadside brake light for when run into trouble on the freeways.

At first (especially when you haven’t really played one) the OP-1 looks like a toy… what happens after you play one for a while is that most of the other devices on the market look like waste of money toys. At least this is what the Electribe looks like, the Volca’s (albeit the new sampler is really nice and non toy like) or any other portable “all in one” device.

While considering all of the above you can totally make great things with any of them, no doubt but it they will not have this wondrous feeling that the OP-1 gives you when you connect with it.

I’ve never played something that feels so high quality, is so portable,so intuitive that seems rather limited at a glance, yet is limitless in it’s potential and exploration.

So the point is that finding a good pair for the OP-1 is a hard thing if you look in similar terms… you might as well get another one to double the adventure, but that would be besides it’s main point (creativity through natural exploration of endless limitations).

For me a really good pair is the Analog Rytm (moreso than the Octatrack which is also a pretty nice pair).

I say this because it’s exactly the opposite of the OP-1 in a way. The Rytm is a really (really) precise yet warm sounding analog machine. I’ve never heard something as organic as analog synthesis be so well controlled by digital in a pleasing way

While on the other hand the OP-1 is a 100% digital beast that through some very freeminded decisions of limitations and great organic programing becomes one of the most unexpected alive synth/sampler I’ve ever played with.

I have them running side by side with no sync in between. The clocks of both machines are some of the best I’ve ever encountered (way better than the Octatrack or the Tempest) so I can just set bpm nudge a bit and forget about them. I can get some of the nicest flows doing this while being sure everything is tight and punchy due to the precision and crispness of the Rytm while the OP-1 delivering the human touch, pleasant sloppyness, happy accidents and emotive evocations.

As mentioned above on the cheaper side the Volca sampler is a really cool piece of equipment to pair up with (made some crazy experiments with the Volca Sample and OP-1 at a friend)

Now ive ordered a Waldorf Blofeld Desktop with Sampling Option… I will see if Opee and Blo become friends…

That will be interesting and I would love to hear anything you conclude /come up with.

I ve to wait for the shippin from Italy to Germany…I think that Combination is enough fun for the rest of the year…Blofeld ja a very very mighty machine…

They’d be amazing roll dogs if the OP-1 had the advertised USB OTG (gives Host functionality). Been missing my a blofeld lately hehe

karma_koma to be fair i miss it too i bought it upon release(sold it 6 months later for 150 euros!!! in a Parisian fleatmarket) but it has some awesome digital gritt (sweet spot) when filters are abused without moderation. Have fun and sex too

The two I play most with my OP1 are the Tempest and Analog Four.
I can’t say that I would recommended either the “most,” but they are both great pieces of gear.
For me, they are similar to the OP1 in that they are accessible, deep, great sounding and fun. By design, the Tempest is a little more ‘fun’ to play (due to the pads, sliders and knobs), but they are both great sounding with very little effort (like the OP1). How “great,” like anything, is a matter of taste, but it is my two cents.

thor, the blofeld is the only synth my wife will accept beneath the op-1, she´s got a hypersensibility-syndrom. she acts like she is on acid whole the time ( ...never mind,. therefor sex is always fun with her...) But she only accept a few synths and sounds.
Microkorg, Shruti, Mininova, most analog makes her pain in her head. Only Blofeld fits and Fayrlight. She says the blofeld sounds like Crystal Caramel....

SEX AND ACID

SEX AND ACID
SEX AND ACID
OUF I SAID THAT
my wife is crazy too but not more than me as i changed 26 synths the last 4 years
wait maybe that got her crazy afterall

Oh you should kiss the earth under her feet,26 synths.I am Happy with my “allowed” 2 Synthesizer plus One MS 20 in Nintendo…nur jve sind more Gear like Sun-Teleskopes in H Alpha spectrum f.e…

@karma_koma exciting, please post a demo of your pair if you can :slight_smile:

@moduler haven’t really seen the Sample and OP-1 in the wild yet. Got anything?